Grants:PEG/User:Pjthepiano - Wiki Education Foundation/US and Canada Wikipedia Education Program/Report/InterimReport
Below is a report on how we are currently doing against our goals as stated on the grants request page. As of today, we have spent about $10,000 of the grant money.
- Legal Incorporation
- WEF will legally incorporate as a non-profit organization in both the U.S. and Canada.
- The Wiki Education Foundation legally incorporated as a non-profit organization in the U.S. in June 2013.
- The Board will work with outside counsel to obtain 501(c)(3) status and complete other required legal steps.
- We submitted a 501(c)(3) application in October 2013. We expect to get a response to our request later this year.
- Assume Operations of U.S. and Canada Education Programs
- WEF will assume full responsibility for operating the U.S. and Canada Education Programs. In the grant period WEF will prepare for the fall 2013 semester by registering participating classes, recruiting ambassadors, developing supporting materials and conducting other essential activities.
- The Wiki Education Foundation assumed full responsibility for the U.S. and Canada Education Programs in November 2013. Preparation for the fall 2013 semester was still handled by the Wikimedia Foundation, after Jami Mathewson’s contract got extended due to the late receipt of the grant money.
- Collaborate with Stakeholders to Support U.S. and Canada Education Programs
- WEF will provide professors and ambassadors with Wikipedia teaching materials and direct support prior to and during the fall 2013 semester.
- Professors and ambassadors have been receiving continuous support through Jami Mathewson.
- WEF will seek input from stakeholders (e.g. Wikipedians, professors, ambassadors, and students) about program structure and administration.
- We were planning to have a discussion around the question whether we should replace the geographic ambassador model with a topic-focused model. This discussion has not started yet.
- WEF will begin plans for an academic Wikipedia conference to be held in mid-2014.
- As of now, the planning process has not begun yet.
- Secure Additional Funding
- WEF will secure funding for the duration of 2013 and beyond. Additional funding will support continuing expenditures obligated during the grant period (e.g. staff) as well as additional needs (e.g. program staff, academic development, materials).
- In January 2014, we reached out to a major donor who showed interest in funding our organization.
- Secure Operational Infrastructure
- WEF will establish an administrative structure including payroll, insurance, accounting and financial processes.
- We are in the middle of contract negotiations with a PEO (Professional employer organization. We expect the services of this PEO to be in place by the end of February 2014.
- WEF will hire qualified staff to support the organization's goals.
- We brought on Jami Mathewson as a contractor in November 2013. In the same month, we embarked on an extensive search for our first Executive Director. As of now, we are in contract negotiations with one candidate.
- WEF will acquire the materials, software, and equipment needed to carry out its functions.
- We provided our contractor Jami Mathewson with equipment and software to carry out her job.