- 1 Goal
- 2 Plan
- 3 Resources and risks
- 4 Budget
- 5 Discussion
To get 25 people taught how to edit Wikipedia in 3 sessions (A series of 3 sessions) To increase the awareness of Editing Wikipedia in Local Languages (Kurdish, Arabic) and to pose the idea of fighting terrorism and racism with increasing free knowledge in our environment. The goal includes increasing number of active editors by following up with everyone after the session to make sure they don't have any obstacles to continue editing Wikipedia.
- Three sessions ( One in a month) and as part of a series to teach how to edit Wikipedia and how to write a new article perfectly.
- Online mentorship: I have the page and the website that I have a place for each user to enter his/her new article in order to track them and notice the mistakes and correct them. And I will use a special link in Wikipedia that allows me to track the edits and adds for a group of users.
- An awareness campaign on both languages Arabic & Kurdish supported by an already existing website titles: Add to Humanity, Add to Wikipedia, and a FB page which has so far 8000 fans. (The campaign will be divided to 3 parts, each part before each session)
- Introduce Wikipedia Education Program to three main universities in Erbil after completions or within the time of the project
- Professional people who can translate from English
- University students (including post graduate)
- People who are very interested in saving the local language and preserve it.
- A special introduction will be given to girls as a participation in reduction of gender gap decreasing in the encyclopedia.
Fit with strategyEdit
What crucial thing will the project try to change or benefit in the Wikimedia movement? Please select the Wikimedia strategic priority(ies) that your project most directly aims to impact and explain how your project fits. Most projects fit all strategic priorites. However, we would like project managers to focus their efforts on impacting 1-2 strategic priorities. Examples of strategic priorities can be found at here.
Measures of successEdit
- Total 25 of participants for the 3 sessions with needed knowledge to edit and add to Wikipedia
- 15 of female participants
- 50% increase in contribution rate per participating user as compared to user's contribution rate outside the competition timeframe
- 100 of articles created or improved (during the sessions) plus another 100 in the time of following up. (Following up time is the period between the sessions while I'm doing the online mentorship)
- 15 of participants who are active editors (5 edits/month) X 6 months after an event.
Resources and risksEdit
The Sessions and the campaign will be done by me only User:Ravan.
I will do the online mentorship and following up using below resources:
The Risks include that this is my first time doing such learning sessions. To minimize this risk: the fact that I'm editing Wikipedia since 2008 and discussed this project deeply with Siko in Tunisia in the first WikiArabia meeting, as well as with Tighe Flangan and tried to apply their own experiences on my first project.
Please provide a detailed breakdown of project expenses according to the instructions here. See Budget Guidelines. Grantees are subject to line-item scrutiny of expenses. Changes to the approved budget beyond 10% in any category must be approved in advance.
Project budget tableEdit
|Number||Category||Item description||Unit||Number of units||Cost per unit||Total cost||Currency||Notes|
|1||Venue||The place where to have the teaching session||1||3||400||1200||USD||The total price is for 3 sessions, one per month, I tried a lot to get a free venue but still no one here especially academically is aware enough to know about Wikipedia and to help support such an event. The price is for a hall for 20 persons with projector and all required equipment for holding the sessions.|
|2||Promotional Materials||Flyers (2 Sided) In Arabic & Kurdish Languages||1||2000||0.33||660||USD||This is the most economical price I got from a printing center here for a two-sided flyer (Planning to distribute them on 3 times)|
|3||Food and Beverages||Snacks during the sessions||1||60 - 70||10||600 - 700||USD||I'm considering 20 people each session, that's why I put 60 - 70 persons for the all 3 sessions.I have calculated the 10$ each person as I expect the session to be 4 hours at least with two breaks, breaks include coffee, Tea and pastries, I have checked with 3 pastry shops in Erbil that was the average for pastries (Not fancy stuff like cheesecake and cakes, only small croissants and baked biscuits and mini sandwiches)|
|4||Prizes and Awards||Small symbolic prizes related to Wikipedia||1||10||20||200||USD||After Discussion will change the prize to certificates and something simple as a T-shirt but will increase the number of winners as 5 in the second session and 5 in the third session, 10 winners in total.|
Total cost of projectEdit
Total amount requestedEdit
Total amount requested from the Project and Event Grants Program. 3000 $
Additional sources of revenueEdit
Additional sources of revenue, other than the Project and Event Grants Program, that may fund part of this project, and amounts funded.
I would require Wikimedia's marks for the logos used in the flyers and on the prizes.
You are responsible for notifying relevant communities of your proposal, so that they can help you! Depending on your project, notification may be most appropriate on a village pump, talkpage, mailing list. Please paste a link below to where the relevant communities have been notified of this proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions. Need notification tips?
Do you think this project should be selected for a Project and Event Grant? Please add your name and rationale for endorsing this project in the list below. Other feedback, questions or concerns from community members are also highly valued, but please post them on the talk page of this proposal.