Grants:PEG/Olaf Kosinsky/European Parliament
- Legal name of organization or individual requesting this grant
- Olaf Kosinsky
- Grant contact name
- Olaf Kosinsky
- Grant contact username or email
- Full project name
- Photo-Project in the European Parliament in Strasbourg 1–4 July 2013.
- Amount requested in USD or local currency (USD will be assumed if no other currency is specified)
- 17,410 EUR
- Provisional target start date
- November 2012
- Provisional completion date
- July 2013
Accommodation, meals and transportation for the organizerEdit
|A||No||Description||Qty||Unit Price (EUR)||Total Price (EUR)||Comment|
|1||Travel Brussels||4||300||1,200||Political groups and Secretariat of the European Parliament|
|3||Travel Luxembourg||1||300||300||Secretariat of the European Parliament|
|B||No||Description||Qty||Unit Price (EUR)||Total Price (EUR)||Comment|
|2||Print and papers||1||100||100|
|C||No||Description||Qty||Unit Price (EUR)||Total Price (EUR)||Comment|
|1||transportation for the organizers||1||300||300|
|2||Accommodation for the organizers||2||80||160|
Traveling costs for participants/scholarshipsEdit
|D||No||Description||Qty||Unit Price (EUR)||Total Price (EUR)||Comment|
|1||Travel Strasbourg||6||1,000||6,000||Budget for six people; Travel:450€; Accommodation:500€; Miscellaneous expenses:50€|
Note: Participants costs should be borne by the respective chapters. For participants from countries in which there is so far no Chapter, a budget is available.
|E||No||Description||Qty||Unit Price (EUR)||Total Price (EUR)||Comment|
|1||Technical equipment||3||300||900||flash System|
|6||Social event (Monday)||30||15||450|
|7||transportation for the organizers||1||350||350|
|8||Accommodation for the organizers||5||80||400|
|9||odds and ends||1||50||50|
Miscellaneous expenses and administrationEdit
|F||No||Description||Qty||Unit Price (EUR)||Total Price (EUR)||Comment|
|Total||A + B + C + D + E + F||EUR 17,410|
In the course of a session of the European Parliament in Strasbourg in July 2013, we are going to invite the 754 members of parliament to photograph them for Wikipedia. Authors will be present to write articles about the parliamentary work of the MEPs. It is our aim that 30 Wikipedians from at least different 10 member states of the EU will participate in this project. Having an international wiki-team is particularly important to me.
Up to now most of the MEPs have no pictures at all on Wikipedia, or just pictures of poor quality (Examples: List of Members).
For comparison: Results from the Bavarian Parliament
We plan to also take pictures of the surroundings related to the parliament or Strasbourg respectively, e.g. the Strasbourg airport, Strasbourg cathedral, Strasbourg old city center etc.
Project scope and list of activitiesEdit
- October–December 2012/January–March 2013: As a preparation for the project we are going to contact the parliamentary administration and the eight parliamentary parties and personally explain the aims of our project. We are also going to contact the “chapters” in the member states in order to support our project (WMDE for example is going to provide technical equipment, background, lights, camera etc.)
- January–March 2013: After this phase of preparation we are going to clarify organisational and other questions in further talks. Without knowing the contact persons and what the rooms of the parliament in Strasbourg are like such an appointment with more than 25 participants in 4 days is not possible. Besides the planning of the project itself (administration, parties and members of parliament) we are going to get in contact with all “chapters” existing in the 27 member states of the EU to present our project. First contacts have already been made during Wikimania in Washington this year where I have presented the project „Wikipedia in the German parliament”.
- April–June 2013: As a preparation for our project we are going to organise and attend a preparatory photo-taking workshop in May or June 2013 for a weekend.
- 1–4 July 2013: The actual project in the European Parliament in Strasbourg.
I have already organised a similar project in 4 regional parliaments in Germany (e. g. the Bavarian parliament: 23 members of parliament in 3 days) and have given a presentation on these projects during Wikimania in Washington this year. I also have applied for carrying out such a project in 9 further local German parliaments. Moreover I currently assist WM AT and support the first project of that kind in Austria (Local Parliament of Salzburg) on 31 October.
We kindly ask for a letter of recommendation by the Wikipedia Foundation to the president of the European Parliament.
Fit to strategyEdit
This project supports the key organizational objectives of:
- Supporting volunteers: The promotion of already active wikipedians is an important aim. The project is particularly aimed at wikipedians who actively participate in the work of photo-taking and writing.
- Gaining new authors: The gaining of new staff is another important part of the project. The project is not only aimed at photographers – a lot of different forms of participation are possible. We don’t think that prospective participants will have a lot of inhibitions of not taking part. New participants will be part of the team and will immediately be provided all necessary information. The number of new members who could be won over to Wikipedia by this project could be a measurable indicator.
- Public image: In the course of the project wikipedians will be present in the European Parliament and will be in the focus of the members of parliament and others.
- Gender: This project particularly aims at female wikipedians. Especially for the cosmetic work (make-up etc.) we need female helpers. The number of women participating in this project could also be a measurable indicator.
The slogan of our project is: "Giving a face to Wikipedia". On the one hand members of parliament, parliamentary parties and parliamentary administration are going to have wikipedia contact partners after the project and will be informed about Wikipedia projects offering free knowledge. On the other hand wikipedians will have contact partners for all topics relating the European parliament in the future. This will make it easier to write new articles on these subjects.
The project is open to all active wikipedians of the wiki-projects. We don’t only require photographers but also authors and technicians accompanying the project and being available as contact persons, e.g. in case of questions concerning the further usage of wikipedia-contents. Having in mind the projects about the German local parliaments we are going to need wikipedians for the following tasks:
- Authors for revising texts
- contact persons in case of questions concerning the further usage of wiki-contents
- Participants contacting and talking to members of parliament directly
- Reception staff (welcoming/ receiving members of parliament, explaining the project aims)
- Technical staff: downloading photos, revising articles, dealing with project pages etc.
- Staff and helpers for all other tasks
Measures of successEdit
- 30 participants from more than 10 countries.
- Portrait photos of at least 60% of the members of European parliament who didn’t have a picture on Wikipedia yet
- At least 50 revised or altered articles about members of parliament
- Reports on our projects concerning the European parliament in the media
- Gaining contact persons in the parliamentary administration and the parliamentary parties
Team members (optional)Edit
Member state of the EU with a chapterEdit