Grants:PEG/7amleh/Workshops to promote Palestinian participation on Wikipedia/Report
- Did you comply with the requirements specified by WMF in the grant agreement?
- Is your project completed?
Activities and lessons learnedEdit
- Three trainers conducted a series of 5 workshops for activists and journalists in Ramallah. Each workshop lasted for a total of six hours, which equipped participants with relevant and practical tools on the use of Wikipedia. The first workshop began with a lecture on the history of Wikipedia, and a comparison was made between Arabic Wikipedia and other Wikipedia sites in other languages. The aim of this activity was to highlight the disparity in quality and content in the Arabic Wikipedia compared to the sites of other major languages and thus highlighted the urgent need for enriching Arabic content on the Internet. In the second and third workshops, participants were introduced to the fundamental Wikipedia policies of editing, souring and attribution as well as the skills required for creating and editing articles on Wikipedia, such as research, editing, wiki syntax, referencing skills and critical reading. It was also during these two workshops that participants were trained on the technical aspect of the course such as guiding participants through account creation and teaching the basics of visual editing. The final two workshops focused on assigning the participants with a task to produce an article, allowing them to consolidate all of the learned skills, with the aim of producing their own independent content. The trainers utilized these sessions to discuss the experience of the participants and answer any queries or doubts. The fourth session was held in the library of Beirzeit university to allow participants to search for information and collect data from the range of library books in order to assist them in building their own content based on their individual findings. The number of participants ranged from 45 in the first workshop to 12 in the final workshop.
The project produced 10 new editors and 0 articles.
- What worked well?
- The curriculum of the training, the trainers, the participatory approach.
- What didn't work?
- Length of workshops, period between each workshop that prevented continuous learning, conflicting interests of participants.
- What would you do differently if you planned a similar project?
- Tailor the workshops to the specific interests/field of the targeted group such as political content, historical content, cultural content etc. in order to ensure that everybody is engaged with similar experience in the given field. Also, a three day consecutive course rather than the workshops being spread out over a lengthy period of time.
Outcomes and impactEdit
- Provide the original project goal here.
1. Increasing the quantity and quality of articles uploaded by Palestinians on the Arabic Wikipedia. 2. Increase the number of Palestinian volunteer editors to Wikipedia. 3. Create a small network of Wikipedia trainers who would be able to sustain the project into the future.
- Did you achieve your project goal? How do you know your goal was achieved? Please answer in 1 - 2 short paragraphs.
- The project produced 10 new editors and thus increased Arabic content on Wikipedia.
Progress towards targets and goalsEdit
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|15 new Palestinian editors/ contributors to wikipedia||10 new editors||Many participants lost motivation throughout the workshops and/ or were simply not able to committ for the whole duration of the trainings|
|75 new articles added to the Arabic wikipedia||0 new articles added|
We are trying to understand the overall outcomes of the work being funded across our grantees. In addition to the measures of success for your specific program (in above section), please use the table below to let us know how your project contributed to the Global Metrics. We know that not all projects will have results for each type of metric, so feel free to put "0" where necessary.
- Next to each required metric, list the actual outcome achieved through this project.
- Where necessary, explain the context behind your outcome. For example, if you were funded for an edit-a-thon which resulted in 0 new images, your explanation might be "This project focused solely on participation and articles written/improved, the goal was not to collect images."
For more information and a sample, see Global Metrics.
|1. # of active editors involved||10|
|2. # of new editors||10||10 new active editors still involved|
|3. # of individuals involved||46||45 participants were trained on the use of relevant tools for wikipedia|
|4a. # of new images/media added to Wikimedia articles/pages|
|4b. # of new images/media uploaded to Wikimedia Commons (Optional)|
|5. # of articles added or improved on Wikimedia projects|
|6. Absolute value of bytes added to or deleted from Wikimedia projects|
- Learning question
- Did your work increase the motivation of contributors, and how do you know?
The trainings provided interested and motivated Palestinians with the means, knowledge and skills to edit and contribute to Wikipedia in Arabic.
- PLACEHOLDER TEXT
Option A: How did you increase participation in one or more Wikimedia projects?
Option B: How did you improve quality on one or more Wikimedia projects?
Option C: How did you increase the reach (readership) of one or more Wikimedia projects?
The project had profound impact on the strategic goals of WMF. The project produced 10 new Wikipedia editors and contributors, thus enhancing participation of the Palestinian community. Despite Arabic contribution to Wikipedia constituting a large percentage of contributions, Palestinian content, which serves to reinforce Palestinian culture, identity and heritage, is severely limited due to lack of skills, knowledge and engagement. This project trained a total of 45 participants on the relevant tools for the use of Wikipedia as well as created a network of trainers who will further spread these skills to enhance input and quality.
Reporting and documentation of expendituresEdit
This section describes the grant's use of funds
- Did you send documentation of all expenses paid with grant funds to grants at wikimedia dot org, according to the guidelines here? Answer "Yes" or "No".
- Please list all project expenses in a table here, with descriptions and dates. Review the instructions here.
PLACEHOLDER TEXT. SEE INSTRUCTIONS AT Grants:Index/Create financial report.
|Number||Category||Item description||Unit||Number of units||Actual cost per unit||Actual total||Budgeted total||Currency||Notes|
|1||Food & Beverages||Lunch||Per person||15||18||270||ILS|
|2||Food & Beverages||Refreshments||item||1||114||114||ILS|
|3||Food & Beverages||Sandwiches||per person||25||12||300||ILS|
|4||Food & Beverages||Food||per person||25||18||450||ILS|
|5||Food & Beverages||Food||Item||1||370||370||ILS|
|6||Food & Beverages||refreshments||item||1||260||260||ILS|
|7||Food & Beverages||refreshments||item||1||57||57||ILS|
|18||Transportation||Bus||travel||1||1500||1500||ILS||traveling to\from Haifa - Jericho|
|19||Transportation||bus||travel||1||1700||1700||ILS||Traveling to\from Nazareth & Baqa - Ramallah|
- Total project budget (from your approved grant submission)
- 2800 $
- Total amount requested from WMF (from your approved grant submission, this total will be the same as the total project budget if PEG is your only funding source)
- Total amount spent on this project
- Total amount of Project and Event grant funds spent on this project
- Are there additional sources that funded any part of this project? List them here.
- Are there any grant funds remaining?
- Answer YES or NO.
- Please list the total amount (specify currency) remaining here. (This is the amount you did not use, or the amount you still have after completing your grant.)
- PLACEHOLDER TEXT
- If funds are remaining they must be returned to WMF, reallocated to mission-aligned activities, or applied to another approved grant.
- Please state here if you intend to return unused funds to WMF, submit a request for reallocation, or submit a new grant request, and then follow the instructions on your approved grant submission.
- PLACEHOLDER TEXT