Grants:TPS/Jonas Xavier/Campus Party 2012
|This Wikimedia Participation Support request was funded in the fiscal year 2011-12. A report is available.|
- User name
- Jonas Xavier
- User location (country)
- Event name
- Campus Party and USP lectures/meetings
- Event Web site
- Event date(s)
- Feb 6 - Feb 12 -> Campus Party; 9 Feb USP (Probably)
- Event location (city)
- São Paulo
- Amount requested (remember to specify currency!)
- U$650 -> R$1170
- Strong support. I will put Jonas in touch with people at University of São Paulo who can be interested on his lecture, among other people. I am sure some hackers group from São Paulo can help him here and even get involved on this interesting and important research project. He will also be of fundamental help to organize this hackathon in the northeast of the country with the help of Open Knowledge Foundation Brazil. --Tom 04:37, 10 January 2012 (UTC)
- Solstag 05:38, 10 January 2012 (UTC)
- Lechatjaune 18:38, 10 January 2012 (UTC)
- Strong support MetalBrasil 19:56, 10 January 2012 (UTC)
- Travel: USD 620
- Going: ~R$500: Recife -> São Paulo
- Return: ~R$500: São Paulo -> Recife
(Ticket prices are expected to rise as the date approaches.)
- Local transportation: USD 70
About the EventEdit
Campus Party is the biggest event about the Internet in Latin America, with seven thousand attendees in its 2012 edition. As general purpose event, Campus Party includes many fields and communities: Open Source, Bloggers, Scientific researchers, Journalists and many students from diverse areas.
At USP (University of São Paulo), the largest Brazilian university and one of the country's most prestigious, I plan to deliver some lectures on scientific uses of Wikipedia data, focusing on access statistics and their relationship to social trends -- showing the example of dengue fever dissemination.
The main audience of Campus Party are internet users, from many backgrounds, with potential to become Wiki volunteers, and the event attempts to foster an inspiring environment for innovation and creativity. Taking as reference last Campus Party, improve the number of volunteers, recruiting persons e/or groups to help in some of main threads of Wikimedia Brasil, in my case, mainly related to education and science works. Targeting an audience of 200 attendees.
Also, invite other researchers to use and study Wikipedia, understanding it as a powerful tool for social studies -- for new research work and as course material. I hope to USP a audience of 30 people, and expect attract nearly 5 of them to work at projects involving data from Wikipedia.
I am Jonas Xavier, using User:Jonas AGX as username. I come from Portuguese Wikipedia, started editing as IP in 2008, and after get a user account, editing like this since 2009. Working as a volunteer with Wikimedia Brasil since the end of 2010 -- mainly as researcher on the Editor Trends Study, and using Wikipedia as an incredible scientific tool and platform for knowledge sharing at colleges. I am also working to improve the use of Wikipedia at Brazilian public schools, as an open educational resource -- instructing teachers in how to integrate Wiki content with their tasks. Starting in 2011 I have attended WmBr and WMF meetings in Brazil, assisting where computer science skills are necessary.
I am open to new events during my time at São Paulo, I plan stay there from February 2nd, until 12th.
About me at the eventsEdit
Campus Party integrate individuals from many fields, my main focus will be showing innovative uses of Wikipedia -- and how they can create and/or improve what we already have. At USP I aim ideas on how data from Wikipedia may be use, and some projects I am developing.
Lectures & TalksEdit
Kul Wadhwa will do a lecture at Campus Party, representing Wikimedia Foundation and also presenting the local community.
Besides the formal lectures, Wikimedia Brasil will organize some talks by itself, in small groups, at the open side of the event (lawn). They will work like "mini-lectures", but in a more informal way, casual, interactive and participatory. This talks will involve, beyond the Wikimedia Brasil volunteers, those attendees who are interested in the WMF projects. It will be clarification and help talks, stimulating the audience to become volunteers of Wikimedia in Brazil.
Hackathon: The Planning meetingEdit
Kul had the idea of a Hackathon in Brazil, and soon he told a group from Wikimedia Brasil (me, Jonas and Argenton). The idea is to have a meetup to plan the brazilian Hackathon, it would perhaps happen on April-June 2012. That hackathon would be the first one ever organized by Wikimedia in Brazil, and one of first Wiki meeting in the Brazilian Northeast. We will use this planning meeting to eventually enroll some programmers there, and get new volunteers to the Hackathon and to MediaWiki.
Tom and me are working to a Editathon during Campus Party, as first goal invite new users to edit, not mainly improve a great number of articles. At Campus Party I hope take contact with ~200 Campuseros, I hope to get 30 new users to Wikipedia, and/or related projects (like Wikibooks, Wikisource, etc.)
Goal and Expected ImpactEdit
For my presentations, I expect to invite the largest possible number of:
- Students Teachers and researchers
- I hope I can get some academics to contribute to Wikipedia and Wikimedia,
Regarding other activities:
- Attend lectures, helping convey the Wikimedia vision
- Plan the 2012 Hackathon with Kul and others volunteers of WMBR:
- I hope get partnerships to this event, from São Paulo, and some other places.
- Have a general meeting (also with the Foundation, feat Kul Wadhwa and Jessie Wild)
- From Brazilian Wikimedia I hope take contact with at least 10 volunteers.
- Discuss about chapter creation, and the state of Wikimedia at Brazil.