Grants:IdeaLab/WM NYC, NE inter-chapter event and travel compensation
Project idea edit
This idea is for Wikimedia NYC and Wikimedia NE to jointly apply for a Project and Event Grant (PEG) for funds to distribute to chapter members that wanted to travel to Wikimedia events in the New England area, but do not have the means to do so otherwise.
What is the problem you're trying to solve? edit
Chapter development and communication relies upon the attendance of Wikipedians at events. Currently, if a Wikipedian in the New England area wants to support the activities and projects of another regional chapter, they must use their own funds to pay for such a trip. Also, at the present day, it is not unusual for regional Wikipedians to pay for trips to support other regional events directly out of pocket. This grant would alleviate this demand, facilitating increased communication, logistical support, and goodwill among the regional NE chapters and Wikimedia projects.
What is your solution? edit
The funds would be available through a simple small-grants application process run jointly by Wikimedia NYC and Wikimedia NE that would allow members of either chapter to apply for travel and hostel reimbursement in the event that they would like to attend the other chapter's events including: Edit-a-thons, hack-a-thons, general chapter meetings, and other chapter events.
Project goals edit
- Increase opportunities for collaboration among organized Wikimedia groups in the New England area
- Increase attendance at regional events.
- Alleviate inequalities in participation based on financial means.
- Increase logistical support and goodwill among regional Wikimedians.
Decision-Making Process edit
- Who is eligible?
- For what type of events can members request funding?
- Board member eligibility
- What is the application process?
- Application approval process
- What is the deadline for applications?
- Reporting obligations
Get involved edit
Welcome, brainstormers! Your feedback on this idea is welcome. Please click the "discussion" link at the top of the page to start the conversation and share your thoughts.