Grants:IdeaLab/Reader Engagement Project
What is the problem you're trying to solve?Edit
Currently we only interact with readers in one of three ways:
- Fundraising - Here the ask is money. Readers become donors. They are developed further as donors. Some informative emails sent in the form of newsletters. Potential for taking donors and making them editors.
- Competitions - Generally speaking either editathons or Wiki Loves XYZ style. No follow up on editors. Short term gain with little to no long term benefits beyond that of content. In many instances very inefficient in generating content relative to banner time used.
- Events - These are generally poor vessels for creating new communities or recruitment of editors. However they are typically excellent vessels for strengthening existing communities.
The last two interactions rely heavily on our readers on knowing how to contribute or even simply that they are even able to contribute in the first place. They are also reliant on the existing forms of contribution.
What is your solution?Edit
The project will have several objectives:
- Improve existing projects downstream of Central Notice. In particular enforcing requirements for follow up and support of new editors from events or competitions.
- Improve delivery of metrics relating to use of Central Notice and encourage A/B testing to optimise reader engagement
- Develop new training materials and methods of onboarding potential editors
- Develop new methods of contributing (micro-contributions)
- Establish new types of campaign to educate users about the projects, it's contributors and how we are used across the globe.
About the idea creatorEdit
Advancement Associate for Wikimedia Foundation. De Facto community liason for the Advancement Department. Editor and Admin on English Wikipedia. Responsible for overseeing usage of the CentralNotice system.
- Advisor I chatted with Seddon yesterday and think these are great ideas. I would be happy to help with initial research and synthesis, as well as communications and outreach as needed. MKramer (WMF) (talk) 14:02, 14 September 2016 (UTC)
Expand your ideaEdit
Would a grant from the Wikimedia Foundation help make your idea happen? You can expand this idea into a grant proposal.