Grants:IdeaLab/Making a Wikimedia-produced feature-length documentary film for theatrical release
What is the problem you're trying to solve?Edit
Wikipedia is the world's most informative website, but its reach does not extend beyond internet access, and does not reach people who are interested in either learning about things, or conveying knowledge, through audiovisual media, and in other environments.
What is your solution?Edit
By collaboratively producing a documentary film (hopefully the first in a series of them), we extend the Wikimedia brand and reach new communities of potential volunteers and supporters. At the same time, we produce a freely licensed work which we can use for material in support of all relevant Wikipedia and other Wikimedia pages.
- Discuss possible topics for documentary treatment, and agree on a specific topics, scope of coverage, and tone.
- Collaboratively write a feature-length shooting script including, as needed, narrative dialogue, reenactments to be performed, experts to be interviewed, locations to be filmed, illustrative animations to be created, background music (likely public domain) and means of combining these elements.
- Identify Wikimedians to volunteer as narrators (in multiple languages, for international distribution), camera operators, interviewers, reenactors, dubbers, animators, and film editors.
- Schedule and record narrations, film scenes, film establishment shots, film interviews with experts, create animations, and identify freely licensed materials suitable to be incorporated into the work as needed.
- Identify Wikimedians to collaboratively compile and edit video and audio obtained into a completed documentary film.
- Obtain placement in first-run theaters.
- Submit to the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences for Academy Award consideration.
- Win Academy Award.
- Maintain the original documentary production as a freely available product on Wikimedia's servers, with appropriate links from relevant Wikipedia articles.