Grants:IdeaLab/Female Wikipedia readers and fiction
What is the problem you're trying to solve?Edit
We know too little about what female readers of fiction would like to find on Wikipedia
What is your solution?Edit
Benefit from an inclination to reading as an obvious activity of users coming to Wikipedia (where they find lots of words to start with).
Focus on a likely interest in reading also other things, e.g., fiction. Try to attract attention from the high-percentage group of female users in reading forums and make Wikipedia more similar to such forums in at least one aspect.
Step one: reply button. Address women in particular and place button
- in articles about female writers and
- in entries about books written by these authors
to find out more about what female readers like finding and what they may be missing in this case.
Next step: Link this button to a group of users who share the same interests and invite them to start collaborating, if preferable in personal contact with a more experienced colleague, so they can themselves add what they found was missing.
Maybe start with feminist/queer authors because it is less likely that sexism-against-women inclined users seek out these articles actively.
- Win new readers who are interested in commenting on Wikipedia content
- Win new editors who are interestd in listening to what readers want and write articles accordingly
- A team feeling about which to spread the word because it may attract more women editors in the long run
- Run a successful project with this community's subgroup so it can be adapted for the aims of other subgroups
- Researcher I search and want to find ideas to realize the first step (maybe with the help of technicians?). FCT Berlin • =>?! • 17:50, 27 March 2015 (UTC)
- Project manager Help the project reach its goals, e.g., by a friendly atmosphere in the project group and by good management of resources, including time C.Koltzenburg (talk) 21:59, 27 March 2015 (UTC)
Expand your ideaEdit
Do you want to submit your idea for funding from the Wikimedia Foundation?