Grants:IEG/Women Scientists Workshop Development/Renewal/Midpoint
Welcome to this project's midpoint report! This report shares progress and learnings from the Individual Engagement Grantee's first 3 months.
In a few short sentences or bullet points, give the main highlights of what happened with your project so far.
Methods and activitiesEdit
How have you setup your project, and what work has been completed so far?
Describe how you've setup your experiment or pilot, sharing your key focuses so far and including links to any background research or past learning that has guided your decisions. List and describe the activities you've undertaken as part of your project to this point.
- Continued to tweak workshop design
- Communicated with Wikimedians worldwide to share the kit
- Wrote scripts demonstrating skills from the kit for short videos
- Filmed a video series
What are the results of your project or any experiments you’ve worked on so far?
Please discuss anything you have created or changed (organized, built, grown, etc) as a result of your project to date.
- The video series will be coming soon, and a final transcript in English will be uploaded to Meta as soon as the videos have been edited.
- Begun to translate the kit and video transcripts (copies will be uploaded to Meta for translation into more languages)
- Continued to spread the word about the systemic bias kit.
- Worked with User:Gretchenmcc on #lingwiki projects using some principles from the kit.
Please take some time to update the table in your project finances page. Check that you’ve listed all approved and actual expenditures as instructed. If there are differences between the planned and actual use of funds, please use the column provided there to explain them.
Then, answer the following question here: Have you spent your funds according to plan so far? Please briefly describe any major changes to budget or expenditures that you anticipate for the second half of your project.
- I have spent funds according to plan and don't plan to change the budget significantly.
The best thing about trying something new is that you learn from it. We want to follow in your footsteps and learn along with you, and we want to know that you are taking enough risks to learn something really interesting! Please use the below sections to describe what is working and what you plan to change for the second half of your project.
What are the challengesEdit
What challenges or obstacles have you encountered? What will you do differently going forward? Please list these as short bullet points.
- Writing scripts is really difficult - I'm not sure I will do a project like this in the future but if I do, I will enlist an experienced writer to look over the scripts.
What is working wellEdit
What have you found works best so far? To help spread successful strategies so that they can be of use to others in the movement, rather than writing lots of text here, we'd like you to share your finding in the form of a link to a learning pattern.
Next steps and opportunitiesEdit
What are the next steps and opportunities you’ll be focusing on for the second half of your project? Please list these as short bullet points.
- Working with groups of Wikimedians to improve their outreach efforts
- Conducting a survey of outreach methods catalogued on Meta to determine the levels of implementation of the principles outlined in the kit
- Editing and translating the video series
- Continuing to raise awareness about the kit
- Working to perform outreach in non-traditional media (i.e. Tumblr)
We’d love to hear any thoughts you have on how the experience of being an IEGrantee has been so far. What is one thing that surprised you, or that you particularly enjoyed from the past 3 months?
- Getting to create a video series has bene really rewarding, and coming up with exciting ways to present these ideas has been fun.