What is the problem you're trying to solve?Edit
Wikipedia lack photographs on landmarks and cultural icons of Albay Province which is home to around 1,500,000 people who speak Central Bikol, Miraya Bikol, West Albay Bikol and Libon Bikol languages.
What is your solution?Edit
Holding Wikipedia Loves Albay will increase the coverage of photographs licensed under Creative Commons. The event will also serve as a venue to meet potential editors and volunteers, and to promote Wikipedia during Magayon Festival.
The activity aims to increase the coverage of free photographs involving the cities of Legazpi, Ligao, Tabaco and 18 municipalities within Albay Province so that they can be used in Wikipedia articles which need pictures.
Also, this activity aims to promote awareness of Wikipedia in the province which is home to about 1,500,000 people. The activity will further promote Bikol Sentral Wikipedia and the creation of Miraya Bikol Wikipedia among non-Wikipedians based in the targeted area.
Unlike the previous editions of Wikipedia Takes Manila and Wikipedia Takes Naga which took place in an urban area, and Wikipedia Love Monuments which only covered built heritage in the country, Wikipedia Loves Albay is a province-wide photography competition covering the rich history and culture of the province.
The project will focus on: Heritage (living traditions, practices, and local industry), Cuisine (diversity of Bicolano delicacy with focus on the process of cooking), and Landmarks (structures and landscapes).
Here is a schedule of activities for this project:
- November 1-December 30, 2015: Coordination with organizations, institutions and local government units (LGUs); paper works
- Wikipedia Loves Albay
- March 19, 2016: Orientation and Send-Off
- Photograph Hunting
- March 20-26, 2016: Taking and uploading of photographs
- Verification of Entries
- March 27-31, 2016: Selection of eligible entries
- Judging Period
- April 1-3, 2016: Selection of winners
- Awarding Ceremony
- April 10, 2016: Exhibit at Magayon Festival
- June 1, 2016: Submission of Project Report
Guidelines and MechanicsEdit
- Photographs should be taken by the participant from March 20-26, 2016;
- Uploading of photographs should not be later than March 26, 2016;
- All entries should be under uploaded by the participant using his/her user account in Wikimedia Commons, with corresponding description of the photograph, under is Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 4.0 International (CC BY-SA 4.0);
- Eligibility of photograph is based on the technical quality, originality and potential usefulness of the image to the Wikimedia project
- Eligible entries will be categorized by the organizers under "Wikipedia Loves Albay 2016 entries";
- A panel of judges will select the winners from the eligible entries;
- Winning photographs will be shown in an exhibit during the Magayon Festival starting April 10, 2016.
Category Description Amount PHP/(USD) Promotional materials Event tarpaulins and posters Promotional shirts participants
Food Organizers and participants' meals — Launching — Awarding Ceremony Cash Prizes — — Heritage Top 10 — Cuisine Top 10 — Landmarks Top 10 Supplies Certificates, plaques, trophies Exhibit Photograph printing, stands, etc. Logistics Transportation and communication Miscellaneous 10% contingency for unexpected expenses Total
- Based on USD1.00 = PHP44.95
- Total cost of project
- PHP (USD)
- Total amount requested from the Project and Event Grants program
- PHP (USD)
- Additional sources of revenue that may fund part of this project, and amounts funded
- Improve quality - The event will effectively improve on the quality of existing images of the Philippines uploaded on Commons and other Wikimedia projects. More images of historically and culturally-significant subjects found within Albay Province will be added to the collection of free photographs greater than what normal Wikipedians would be able to cover.
- Increase participation - Targeted participants are amateur and professional photographers based within the Bicol Region. They can be encouraged to be part of the growing number of volunteers of the Community through follow up activities and regular meet ups.
- Expand Reach and Readership - The project will also make Wikimedia more relevant to non-Wikipedians and local government units (LGUs) to contribute to the projects and the movement as a whole by means of contributing quality photographs.
Measures of successEdit
Need target-setting tips? Note: in addition to your project-specific measures of success, you will also be asked to report on some Global Metrics at the end of your final report. Please keep this in mind as you plan, and we'll support you as you begin your project.
- We will consider this project a success if the following quantitative measures are met:
- Number of eligible photographs uploaded in Wikimedia Commons at least 1,000 photographs
- At least two private individuals, local companies or institutions support the activity thru in-kind donations for prizes, venue, accommodation etc.
- Bikol Wikipedia Community was involved in organizing the Wikipedia Takes Naga in 2012, the second of its kind in Southeast Asia, and has also facilitated editing workshops namely: Open Web Day ADNU (Ateneo de Naga University) in 2012 and Open Web Day UNC (University of Nueva Caceres) in 2013. The project team members can learn from its past experience in the said activities specially in organizing Wikipedia Loves Albay.
Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions. Need notification tips?
- Bikol Wikipedia Community and volunteers will be notified about the project as well as target partner-institutions, organizations and local government units.
Do you think this project should be selected for an Individual Engagement Grant? Please add your name and rationale for endorsing this project in the list below. (Other constructive feedback is welcome on the talk page of this proposal).