Task 1. Prototype the WikiBrain Tools API:Edit
- March - August 2015
- Implement basic necessary algorithmic enhancements to WikiBrain.
- Design particular API calls.
- Determine resource sharing scheme for CPU, bandwidth, etc.
Task 2. Engage the WikiTools and Wikipedia research communitiesEdit
- March - August 2015
- Identify WikiTools developers and Wikipedia researchers that may benefit from WikiBrain
- Point potential audience to prototype API.
- Introduce audience to WikiBrain's feature set, ask which features would be most valuable, and identify any new features that would be valuable.
- Identify a WikiTool to serve as an early-adopter and alpha-tester for WikiBrainTools.
Task 3. Implement and refine the APIEdit
- March - December 2015
- Possible major code enhancements:
- Shift from existing custom Wikidata code to IEG-supported Wikidata Toolkit.
- Reduce resource requirements for large languages (e.g. EN) by publishing pre-analyzed datasets.
- Improve algorithmic support for under-served languages.
- Implement resource sharing module.
- Develop REST interface for each API call.
- Any additional features requested by WikiTools developers.
- Write client module in most common WikiTool languages (Python and ?PHP?).
- Test code: Unit testing, functional testing, performance testing.
- Write documentation: Integration guide, WikiBrain conceptual guide, Documentation for each API call.
Task 4. Deploy the WikiBrain Tools APIEdit
- August - December 2015
- Deploy API instance on Wikimedia Labs
- Work with one early adopter Tool to test and refine the API. Contribute to software development integration work in early adopter tool if needed.
- Conduct performance benchmarks. Optimize algorithms and adjust resource sharing modules as needed.
- Semi-publicly launch WikiBrainTools API with limited number of access tokens. Monitor resource usage.
- Publicly launch WikiBrainTools API.
Task 5. Encourage adoption of WikiBrainEdit
- Sept 2014 - December 2015
- Email forums associated with WikiTools developers, Wikipedia researchers, Algorithmic researchers.
- Post online demos.
- Hold online office hours.
- Host session at Wiki research's hackathon.
- Conferences: SIGIR, WWW, WikiSym / OpenSym
- Organize demos.
- Hold Birds of a Feather sessions.
Notes on installing the labs project:
- Name of project is wikibrain
- Active instance is wikibrain0
- Shilad can ssh there by running wmfwikibrain
- Packages that needed to be isntalled:
apt-get install postgresql-client-common apt-get install postgresql-client-9.3 add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/java apt-get update sudo apt-get install oracle-java8-installer apt-get install oracle-java8-installer apt-get install oracle-java8-set-default apt-get install maven
- Enable role::labs::lvm::srv role in server instance configuration
- sudo puppet agent -tv
- /srv is now mounted with 160GB.