Grants:IEG/Portals - doorways to engagement
|join other ideas|
Wikipedia's Portal namespace is largely overlooked by many of the site's editors and readers. At their best, portals provide an excellent opportunity to highlight Wikipedia's best coverage of a topic, and perhaps to entice readers with an interest in the topic into editing. At their worst, portals languish unfinished or unmaintained, due to their current small audience and the relatively complex wiki code needed for their construction.
This project aims to rejuvenate portals: making them easier to create and maintain, more attractive, more helpful in converting readers to editors, and more prominent as Wikipedia features.
- Research existing portals on the English and other language Wikipedias.
- Identify important and innovative features, particularly those which would help convert readers to editors.
- Create a "portal construction set" making it easier to create and maintain portals.
- Pre-built modules such as "selected article", "selected picture", "how to help"
- Improve the existing portal templates
- Better help and advice for editors and WikiProjects
- Increase the visibility of portals both inside and outside Wikipedia.
- Attract more editors to maintaining portals
- Advertise the concept of Wikipedia portals more widely (social media, white-hat SEO)
Welcome, brainstormers! Your feedback on this idea is welcome. Please click the "discussion" link at the top of the page to start the conversation and share your thoughts.
Does this idea need funding? Learn more about WMF grantmaking. Or, expand to turn this idea into an Individual Engagement Grant proposal
Ready to create the rest of your proposal?
Need more help?