Grants:Conference/UG GLAM Macedonia/Wiki Camp for students/Report
- Report accepted
- To read the approved grant submission describing the plan for this project, please visit Grants:Conference/UG GLAM Macedonia/Wiki Camp for students.
- You may still comment on this report on its discussion page, or visit the discussion page to read the discussion about this report.
- You are welcome to Email conferencegrants at wikimedia dot org at any time if you have questions or concerns about this report.
Did you meet your goals?
Wiki Camp Berovo 2017 was a successfully and professionally organized camp for underage students for editing articles on Macedonian Wikipedia. Overall, the camp was a huge success regarding the stated goals and expected outcomes.
The principal outcome that marked the camp as a success was the number of students that took part in the camp and the huge interest for participating in the Camp itself. The expectations regarding the number of participants in camp, prior the realization of the camp itself, was 50 students from the existing Wiki Clubs. However, the interest from the students was huge. Large number of students wanted to be part of the project, reaching way over 70, but having in mind the financial materials we had to cut the number to 49 students plus 6 from the local town. Moreover, the participants in the camp were from various different cities: we had students from Staro Nagoricane, Skopje, Ohrid, Negotino and Berovo. All students came from 10 different schools, covering students from various age and ethnic background. The students that took part in the Wiki Camp were extremely happy and pleased to learn how to edit Wikipedia articles, create new articles by means of translating from other languages and they even showed interest to learn some advance editing techniques and options. The level of enthusiasm of the students was great.
The number of newly created articles during the Wiki Camp by the students is also another huge success of the Camp. The planned number of new articles prior the realization of the Camp was 150, but the level of engagement and interest of the students came up with more than 200 newly created articles on the Macedonian Wikipedia. That passed our planned goal and the outcome of this Wiki Camp is valuable for the whole Macedonian Wiki Community and the Macedonian Wikipedia itself.
As a direct result of the Camp, two new Wiki Clubs were started. One of the new Clubs that was opened and started was Wiki Club Ohrid. The idea of opening a Wiki Club Ohrid was initiated during the Conference for teachers held in October 2017, but the realization of the idea was during the Wiki Camp 2017. The students from WIki Club Ohrid that participated in WIki Camp Berovo were trained about the editing process and the coordinator of Wiki Club Ohird was more than happy to materialize the idea proposed in October. The other Wiki Camp that was realized during the Wiki Camp was Wiki Club Berovo. This is another Wiki Club outside Skopje and the idea for realization of the Club came as a direct cooperation between students and teacher from Berovo with GLAM Macedonia. They expressed desire and readiness to start a Club in this town and GLAM Macedonia was happy to meet their needs. The Wiki Club members participated in the Camp and they were trained and taught how to edit and start new articles on the Macedonian Wikipedia. GLAM Macedonia is very happy to have opened two new Wiki Clubs outside Skopje.
The participant in the Wiki Camp were very happy and satisfied to take part in the project Their feedback is extremely positive and their willingness to participate in another camp was obvious. The teachers that accompanied the students are looking forward to continue collaboration with GLAM Macedonia in the future activities and projects. We were 62 persons altogether in the hotel: 13 adults (involved teachers and GLAM Macedonia volunteers), 49 students in the hotel, plus 6 local students who joined in all daily activities.
The survey of participants was held before and after the event, and the results are placed in the section "Anything else".
- Wiki Camp's website
- Project page on Macedonian Wikipedia.
- In Education News
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|150 new articles||210 new articles||The total number of new articles created during the Wiki Camp is a number that pleasantly surprised the organisers. Having stated the original number to 150, this outcome is a direct result of the enthusiasm and the hard work of the students and GLAM Macedonia is more than happy to reached such a successful outcome.|
|50 students (participants)||55 students||The number of students that expressed interest to participate in the Wiki Camp was more than 70. However, having in mind the material support for organising the Camp, GLAM Macedonia managed to accept 55 students, 5 more than the originally stated number.|
Please share a brief update about the status projects, important discussions and/or capacity building that took place at the event.
|Activities during the conference||2 months after the conference||6 months after the conference|
Were any significant issues your community discussed at the conference?
|On the Wiki Camp, there were 29 already trained Wikipedians, who are members of Wiki Clubs in Macedonia, and 26 newbies. The sessions were split first two days: in one group there were the new users who were trained to edit Wikipedia and in the other group were Wikipedians who created articles and learn more skills while editing. The second day, there were two sessions: one workshop for photography, and the second workshop for advanced editing.|
|Capacity Development: Please list capacity building sessions or workshops.||29 participants were trained Wikipedians before Wiki Camp, and 26 were newbies.||Survey participants 6 months after event -- how many people have used the skills they learned?|
|Projects or Working Groups:
What are the most important projects that were started or improved during the conference?
|Most important for us is starting of two new Wiki Clubs.||Provide an update on projects that were started, or changes that were made as a result of work done at the conference.|
Conferences and events do not always go according to plan. Sharing what you learned can help you and others plan similar projects in the future. Help the movement learn from your experience by answering the following questions:
- What worked well at the event?
- The organization of the Wiki Camp, generally speaking, was very good. Everything was according to the previously stated plan and all activities and events followed the natural and planned course. The editing sessions were extremely good, the students showed great interest for editing Wikipedia, they expressed desire to learn more details and tricks about the editing process and wanted to be taught how to manipulate the technical visual elements of the articles themselves. As we noticed that the students are very devoted in creating new articles, we decided to give 6 more minor prizes.
- The extra activities that were planned were also great. Having no problems regarding the walks, sightseeing of the historical and cultural heritage of Berovo (One of the oldest monastery in Macedonia, Museum of mosaics, etc.) and the physical and entertainment activities marked the Wiki Club as well organized and the organizers faced up with little problems. We have additional 6 students from Berovo, who learnt how to edit Wikipedia. We hope that they could be the first six members of the new Wiki Club we could run in Berovo. The Berovo students didn't sleep in the hotel with us, there was no need for that, as they live nearby, but they took a part in all daily activities.
- What did not work so well?
- Overall, the organizers faced up with problems of minor nature. The most important to mention here is the lack of stable Internet connection due to the technical problems the hotel was facing with. The hotel has three routers, but seems that it wasn't enough. We solved this problem with giving internet from cell phones of organizers team members, via portable hot spot connection. We end up with broken bed and lamp in one room, which were broken accidentally, but as organizes, we had to pay a penal to the hotel. Other than that, the organizers and the Wiki Camp in general did not have problems of any kind.
- What would you do differently next time?
- It would be of great interest to all participants of the Wiki Camp to find a place (hotel or other type of accommodation facility) with more stable Internet connection. Also, having in mind the huge interest for the Wiki Camp, it would be nice if the Wiki Camp was held twice a year, or to last several days more.
This section describes the grant's use of funds
- Budget table
Please list all project expenses in a table here, with descriptions. Review the instructions here. These expenses should be listed in the same format as the budget table in your approved submission so that anyone reading this report may be able to easily compare budgeted vs. actual expenses.
|Number||Category||Item description||Unit||Number of units||Cost per unit||Total cost||Currency||Notes|
|1||Transport||Transport with touristic bus for 59 persons, return||620||EUR||The bus was for 59 persons only|
|2||Transport||Transport for organizers and materials||100||EUR||The sum was for covering oil costs|
|3||Accommodation||Hotel and meals costs for three days||Per person||62 x 2 full days||18 per day per person||2232||EUR||The sum was with discount for 62 persons, two full days, starting with supper on Friday, ending with lunch on Sunday. We managed to make a deal with the officials of the hotel to be only guests at that time, because the participants were underage.|
|4||Snacks and beverages||Logistic for wiki expedition around the event place||50||EUR||One outdoor Wiki expedition with all participants|
|5||Prizes and awards||For t-shirts and awards||510||EUR||The sum was with discount for T-shirts (62 x 5 EUR = 310 EUR), plus five awards (5 x 40 = 200 EUR) for the best contributors at the event|
|6||Printed materials and office supplies||150||EUR||The sum was for program shits, markers, paper, name tags, certificates, notes, etc.|
|7||Web site||100||EUR||The sum was for maintain of the web site|
|8||Unseen||150||EUR||The sum was used for: additional internet connection (50 EUR - 5 cellphones x ~10 EUR costs for hot spot), 6 additional prizes for students (50 EUR ~8 EUR each), meals for additional 6 participants from Berovo (20 EUR), penal for broken bed and lamp (30 EUR)|
- Summary of funding
Total project budget (from your approved grant submission):
- 3912 EUR
Total amount requested from WMF (from your approved grant submission):
- 3912 EUR
Total amount spent on this project (this total should be the total calculated from the table above):
- 3912 EUR
Total amount of WMF grant funds spent on this project:
- 3912 EUR
Are there additional sources of revenue that funded any part of this project? List them here.
- Participants from other parts of Macedonia paid their own trip to Skopje in order to get in the bus to Berovo. Also, the Chinese lanterns for wishes and beverage for Saturday evening party were donation. The lecturer, Frosina Stojkovska, who held the workshop for photography was only two days on the Camp, and her costs were not paid by this grant.
- Remaining funds
Are there any grant funds remaining?
- Answer YES or NO.
Please list the total amount (specify currency) remaining here. (This is the amount you did not use, or the amount you still have after completing your grant.)
- PLACEHOLDER TEXT
Is there anything else you want to share about the conference or event?
The survey was carry out at the beginning end at the end of the event. The results of the first survey are as this (55 students participants in total):
- Q. What do you expect from Wiki Camp?
- 50 participants - knowledge
- 5 participants - fun
- Q. Do you use Wikipedia as source of information?
- 55 participants - Yes
- Q. Do you want to edit articles in Wikipedia?
- 29 participants - I already edit articles
- 26 participants - Yes, I want to learn
The results od second survey are as this:
- Q. What was your experience with Wiki Camp?
- 50 participants - Great experience
- 3 participants - It was fun
- 2 participants - I learnt tricks for editing
- Q. What do you want to be different in the future Wiki Camp?
- 34 - everything was great
- 6 participants - more sport
- 5 participants - I want Wiki Camp to last more days
- 4 participants - more free activities
- 3 participants - better internet connection
- 2 - more tricks for editing
- 1 participant - costume party
- In media
- All photos from the event in this category