Grants:Conference/Innocentbunny/Wikisammelan Kolkata 2019
Purpose and vision
Please give a brief description of the event you are planning. What do you hope to accomplish during the event? Why is this event important for your community?
Wikisammelan Kolkata (Hindi:विकिसम्मेलन कोलकाता; Wikiconference Kolkata) would be one among the series of annual Wikiconferences focused on Hindi Wikipedia and it's sister projects organised by the Hindi Wikimedia Community. This conference will give an oppertunity for the community members to meet each other in person and help discuss and solve critical issues, plan strategies and goals for the various Wikiprojects in the Hindi Language, meet people working in different offline and online projects, share their experiences and learn new technical and social skills. It will help organise this very small and yet diverse and decentralised community spread over a large geographical area and create suitable environment to facilitate developement of community leadership and motivate new initiatives from the members. It also helps to create an envorinment of unity and bonding among the community members and a feeling of connection with the golbal Wikimedia community and the Wikimedia movement.
Some of the main points in the agenda for this conference are:
- Solving two long-standing critical issues of Hindi Wikipedia.(the issues of the script of Digits used on Hindi Wiki and use of certain special Devnagri Characters, Spellings and Terminology on Hindi Wikipedia)
- Planning a strategy for the organised developement of articles on Hindi Wikipedia for the next 12 months.(It would be a first-of-its-kind project on Hindi Wiki, intended to be a pilot project to see if such annual plans can help speed up the development of Hindi Wikipedia)
- Starting a collaborative pilot project between Hindi Wikipedia and Hindi Wikisource, with the help of the local Wikimedia community in Kolkata, to upload the copyright free Hindi Literature, available in various private libraries in and around Kolkata to Hindi Wikisource.
- Conducting a Workshop on the MediaWiki Interface and Wikisource, to bridge the skill Gap within the members of the community.
- Analysing the results of Hindi Wikipedias debut at the World Hindi Conference, held in August 2018 in Mauritius and discuss possibilities of any follow up Collaborative Projects that can be conducted with the organisations our team had encountered there.
Since the Hindi Wikicommunity is still in it's nascent stages, and is extremely small, compared to the immensely large potential it has in terms of the population of Hindi speakers in the world and people who access the Internet in Hindi, hence one of our prime goals is to invite as many new wikipedians as possible, so as to let them know the larger community, motivate them and create a feeling of connection and hence allowing the community to grow.
Please add key information to the table below. The dates, location and number of participants can be estimates and do not need to be finalized at this time.
|Proposed date(s)||1, 2 and 3 February 2019|
|Proposed location||Kolkata, India|
|Number of participants||20|
|Event page||विकिसम्मेलन कोलकाता २०१९|
|Primary contact person||Innocentbunny|
Use the results from the community engagement survey to fill in the table below. Since you cannot cover all topics or meet all needs at one event, prioritisation is important. Please rank the priority of each topic, skill, project or problem as high, medium or low. Finally, please answer the questions below the table.
What are the top issues affecting your community that need to be discussed in person?
|These are some of the top issues identified by the survey:
Are there important skills that many people in your community need to learn?
|Our community requires training on:
Are there joint projects that need to be planned in person?
|Yes, many community members have certain projects in mind, that need discussion and brainstorming.||Medium to Low priority|
Are there other in-person activities are important for community building?
|Community excercises are important, especially for new members so that they can get to know the members of the community and share ideas.||Medium Priority|
- How many people did you send the survey to? How many people responded to the survey?
- Survey was put up on Hindi Wikipedia Village Pump, 21 people responded
- Did you see consensus around shared goals that this community wants to focus on in the next 12 months? What were the top 2 goals?
- Organised and Coordinated development and Solving the issue of Digits and Spelling were mentioned by ~70% respondents as the most important issue for the community.
- Based on survey responses, what are the most important things your community should do at the conference to achieve those goals?
- Discussion among community members and Coordinated planning.
It is helpful to get an understanding of why this event is important to your community, and what experiences you have had in the past. Please answer the applicable questions below.
- 1. What inspired your community to begin planning this event?
- Since the last Conference held in January 2018 in Delhi, there is an overwhelming consensus among the active Hindi Wikimedians that there is need for organised development of articles and content in Hindi Wikipedia and it's sister projects. A need for annual planning of online and offline activities and organising conferences annually to discuss and plan strategies for the next 12 months was felt in the last Conference. The main idea behind this conference is to discuss and carry out the follow-up activities of the projects conducted last year, solve issues and discuss strategies for the next 12 months.
- 2. How does this event relate to other activities that your community is working on?
- This conference will be a follow-up of the previous conference held in 2018.
- 3. Please list the priorities identified in the report from the last conference organized by this community. What progress have you made in those areas?
- Last Conference was organised after a long period of dormancy in the community. One of the priorities identified in the last Conference was to organise conferences annually. This conference is a follow-up to the previous conference, hence fulfilling one of the agendas of the last conference.
- One of the main projects that had been decided in the last conference was the praticipation of Hindi Wikipedia in the World Hindi Conference, to search for other organisations with similar interests, which was successfully done. Our next agenda is to discuss possibilities for any cooperative programmes with the organisations our team has shortlisted and search for people in the community who would be interested in running any cooperative programmes with these organisations.
- 4. If your community has hosted a similar conference in the past, what key lessons were learned, and what would you like to improve on?
- One of the main problems in the last conference was that the Program was not well planned and the schedule was not followed strictly. hence it this conference, we will focus on creating a strong program schedule and organise a dedicated "Program and Stage Management Team" to see that the Agenda is followed strictly. We will also try to organise a dedicated "follow-up committee", which will be in-charge of making sure that the programs/projects decided in this conference are carried out timely until the next conference.
Venue and LogisticsEdit
- 1. If the venue is more than 1 hour away from a major airport or transportation hub, how will participants travel to the event venue?
- The Venue/Hotel will be within 1 hour from the Airport and Railway Station, and will be easily accessible by public transportation.
- 2. Is the event venue within walking distance from the hotel? If not, how will people travel between the two locations?
- The Conference Venue will be in the Hotel
- 3. Is the event venue and hotel accessible for people with physical disabilities?
- 4. Do you anticipate any challenges with using the space for the event you are planning?
Friendly space policyEdit
Please link to the friendly space policy that your community will be using for this event.
It is crucial that most participants have a minimum level of Wikimedia experience so that they can engage actively in workshops and discussions. Please answer all applicable questions below.
- 1. Please describe the target audience for this conference or event.
- All Active and experienced Hindi Wikimedians, with special focus on the new and younger members of the community who are actively contributing on Hindi Wiki Projects and also some prominent members of the local community in Kolkata who are actively contributing on Wikisource.
- 2. If your conference has an outreach component, how will you ensure engagement with these participants after the conference, and what impact do you see them having on the projects?
- We will form working groups during the conference for any outreach project that comes up, and we will also form a "Follow-up Committee" which will coordinate these working groups through Village Pump discussions, personal talk pages and Whatsapp Groups.
- 3. Are you thinking about inviting WMF staff to attend or participate in the event? If yes, please list individuals or teams who you may want to invite, or describe how you would like WMF staff to be involved in the event.
- Yes, a possible Video Call with WMF staff members, especially Tighe Flaneghan to talk about Wiki Education Program, and Asaf Bartov would be highly appreciated.
- 1. How many scholarships would you like to offer?
- 2. What expenses will the scholarship cover?
- Round-trip travel + Accommodation + meals + local tour
- 3. How will scholarship recipients be selected?
- The recepients of the scholarship will be selected by the scholarship committee.
Resources and risksEdit
Describe the resource potential for successfully executing this project and the key risks/threats.
- Organizing team
|Logistics||अजीत कुमार तिवारी|
अजीत कुमार तिवारी
अजीत कुमार तिवारी
|Communications||Godric ki Kothri|
|Volunteer Coordinators||Satdeep Gill|
|Other team members||Anamdas|
Examples of risks, along with how you would minimize or overcome them, are:
- Skill gap between members of the organising team
- Some senior Community members might find it difficult to participate in the event due to time constraints
Examples of how to minimize these risks include:
- The Organising team comprises many experienced and skilled people, who can help and advise their team members, and hence the skill gap will not be a problem
- Trying to decide a date which is suitable for everyone, or at least most members and if a certain member is unable to attend the event, letting him/her join using video call
- Event budget table
|Number||Category||Item description||Number of units||Cost per unit||Total cost in INR||Total cost in USD (approximate)
based on exchange rate on 4/9/18 as per Oanda
|1||Conference Hall||Conference hall for two days||1||50,000||704.920|
|2||Accommodation||Twin sharing rooms for three day.||12 rooms x 3 nights||5000||1,80,000||2,537.71|
|3||Food & Catering||Cost of meals for attendees of the conference||50,000||704.920||rough estimation|
|4||Travel Scholarships||20||9000||1,80,000||2,537.71||For top contributors and interested participants across India|
|5||Felicitation / Gifts||T-Shirts and Memento for participants and active contributors recognising their contribution.||20||1000||20,000||281.968|
|6||Print Material||(Banners/I-Cards/Posters etc)||variable||5,000||70.4920|
|2||Administrative Fees||administrative fees by fiscal sponsor||1,01,000||1,405.08||Tentative value at 20% of total budget, based on the past conference.|
- Total cost of event
- ₹6,06,000 (~US$8,431)
- Total amount requested from the Conference and Event Grants program
- ₹6,06,000 (~US$8,431)
- Additional sources of revenue that may fund part of this event, and amounts funded
- Please confirm that you are aware that changes to the approved budget beyond 10% in any category must be approved in advance.
Do you think this project should be selected for a Conference Grant? Please add your name and rationale for endorsing this project in the list below. Other feedback, questions or concerns from community members are also highly valued, but please post them on the talk page of this proposal.
- Strong support -- Ashish Bhatnagar talk/ See comments 02:12, 6 September 2018 (UTC)
- Strong support Godric ki Kothri (talk) 02:58, 6 September 2018 (UTC)
- Strong support I am extremely glad that Hindi is hosting Wikisammela 2019. I think it is a huge opportunity for the Hindi community to expand, experiment, engage and outreach. --J. Ansari Talk 03:07, 6 September 2018 (UTC)
- Strong support --Raju Jangid (talk) 05:36, 6 September 2018 (UTC)
- Support -- ArmouredCyborg (talk) 06:09, 6 September 2018 (UTC)
- Strong support--आर्यावर्त (talk) 06:50, 6 September 2018 (UTC)
- Support -- Nilesh shukla (talk) 08:25, 6 September 2018 (UTC)nilesh shukla
- Support The grant looks good, best wishes. Although I doubt I could travel to Kolkatta myself even if awarded a scholarship due to my other commitments. I would provide support in whatever way I can. - Abhinav Srivastava 16:13 (IST)
- Support Ahmed Nisar (talk) 17:08, 6 September 2018 (UTC)
- Strong support annual hindi Wikipedia conference is much awated event which should be held on regular basis for growing hindi wiki editor. अनिरुद्ध! (talk) 00:26, 7 September 2018 (UTC)
- Strong support -- Yohannvt (talk) 01:28, 7 September 2018 (UTC)
- Support Hindi community needs to be supported to easily organize more events like this. I fully endorse this proposal. Looking forward to it. Satdeep Gill (talk) 02:15, 7 September 2018 (UTC)
- Strong support --Muzammil (talk) 17:24, 7 September 2018 (UTC).
- Support - Satpal Dandiwal (talk) 18:59, 7 September 2018 (UTC)
- Strong support --Anamdas (talk) 11:06, 8 September 2018 (UTC)
- Support -- Trikutdas (talk) 02:49, 10 September 2018 (UTC)
- Support-- Pankaj Deo (Talk) 04:26, 10 September 2018 (UTC)
- Support— Bukhari (Talk!) 11:16, 10 September 2018 (UTC)
- Strong support --KHALID KHAN (talk) 15:30, 10 September 2018 (UTC)
- Strong support-Jayprakash >>> Talk 18:29, 10 September 2018 (UTC)
- Strong support -- Shypoetess (talk) 19:26, 10 September 2018 (UTC)
- Strong support -- I think this is very good plan and organizers have many new things to do. hi.wiki needs this kind of "Sammelan" more often, so it should be approved ASAP. Best of luck. NehalDaveND (talk) 12:31, 18 September 2018 (UTC)
- Strong support -- fully endorse this proposal Sushma_Sharma (talk)13:53, 23 September 2018 (UTC)