Grants:APG/Proposals/2020-2021 round 1/Wikimedia Armenia/Proposal form
If you need to review the edit instructions you will find them in the edit intro.
- Use this form if you are eligible to submit a proposal in the current round, to request funding in the current round.
- This form must be published on Meta by the proposal submission date for each round to be considered, and no changes may be made after the submission date without staff approval.
- This form complements your organization's annual plan, detailed budget, and strategic plan. It won't be considered complete without a detailed budget and strategic plan.
- Organizations may apply for a funding period that does not exactly match their fiscal years. Follow the instructions carefully to understand what time period each question refers to.
- Refer to the framework, guidance from the Board, and the FDC's recommendations before using this form, so you have an understanding of the Annual Plan Grants process.
- Please Email FDCSupport@Wikimedia.org with questions about using the form.
A few terms used in the form:
FDC proposal form terms Wikimedia terms Learning & Evaluation terms
- 1. In order to support community review, please provide a brief description of your organization's work in the upcoming funding period.
For the past several years Wikimedia Armenia defines its goals and organizes its activities within the framework of several programs: Quality Content, Community Empowerment, Education, and Organizational Development. All these programs are interconnected and each of them supports the development of the other.
We have made some changes to overall organization approach of the activities carried out by WMAM. Most importantly, we made distinctions between the work done by the staff and by the community. Previously, all educational programs were organized and carried out exclusively by the staff. Now the staff is only involved in organizing activities, meanwhile, the implementation is left to the community. This enables us to engage the community more in the activities of WMAM, to make them more responsible and to nurture the feeling in them that they are the owners of the Wikimedia ideology and movement.
The Armenian wiki community was created from scratch; there were just a few editors in the beginning but due to all the offline activities we were able to engage new people and create a community. Thus, offline activities are vital for the existence and productive operation of our wiki community. Besides that, offline WikiCamps and other events provide a platform where people, especially the youth and teens, interact with each other and keep in touch which is important for the continuous existence of the Armenian wiki community. At the same time, Armenia has small population size and people are not very informed about the capabilities and opportunities provided by Wikimedia projects. Thus, we have to put a lot of effort to introduce to the public the work we are doing which is more tangible due to offline activities.
Wikimedia Armenia is planning to continue the main activities and events included in each program direction, at the same time, we intend to initiate new ones. The goals of the Quality Content program is to develop the quality and quantity of articles on Armenian Wikipedia. Besides that we intend to engage more professional people and specialists of different fields in the development of the quality content in order to provide more trustworthy and authentic content.
The purpose of the Community Empowerment is to engage the community in the activities of WMAM. Most importantly, we want to make the community members more mature due to direct participation in the ongoing processes of the organization so that they can deeply understand the aims of the movement and become more proactive.
The objectives of the Education program are twofold: firstly, it provides platform for self-education both for teachers, students and everyone. Secondly, due to the activities within the Education program we create educational materials which are up-to-date and available for everyone.
Finally, one of the goals of the Organizational Development program is to expand the outreach and promote Armenian Wikipedia, the idea of free education and the Wikimedia movement.
All these programs are deeply interrelated in a sense that by engaging new and knowledgeable people in the community, we tend to develop the quality content and vice versa. Moreover, working with educational institutions and centers enables us to expand the scope of our Wiki community and enhance the content of articles on Wikipedia. For instance, WikiCamps are considered to be an encouraging project for WikiClubs. The latter in their turn bring new participants to WikiCamps. As the collaboration with universities increased, we included new WikiCamps specifically for the youth in our plans.
- 2. Name, fiscal year, and funding period.
- Legal name of organization: «Վիքիմեդիա Հայաստան» գիտակրթական ՀԿ
- Organization's fiscal year: 01/01-12/31
- 12-month funding period requested: 01/01/2021-12/31/2021
- Currency requested: AMD
- Name of primary contact: Susanna Mkrtchyan, Vahagn Piliposyan
- 3. Amount requested.
|Total expenses for the upcoming year||137,426,056||285,341|
|APG funding requested for the upcoming year||130,226,056||270,392|
|Amount of funding received from WMF for the current year||58,560,000||121,590|
- 4. How does your organization know what community members and contributors to online projects need or want? Does your organization conduct needs assessments or consult the contributors and volunteers most involved with its work?
- Wikimedia Armenia organizes discussions, consultations with the wiki community and listens to their suggestions when compiling its annual plan. The experience of previous years is studied in order to be clear which projects are effective. The wiki community appreciated the public events, which allow editors to socialize, make friends, and thus become more enthusiastic about editing and other wiki-related work.
- 5. Please provide a link to your organization's strategic plan, and a link to your separate annual plans for the current and upcoming funding periods if you have them.
Financials: current yearEdit
The purpose of this section is to give the FDC an idea of how your organization is receiving funds and spending funds toward your current plan. Your current funding period is the funding period now in progress (e.g. 1 January 2016 to 31 December 2016 for most organizations).
Financials for the current funding period Revenues or expenses Planned (budgeted) Actual, until one month before the proposal due date Projected Currency requested US dollars Currency requested US dollars Currency requested US dollars Revenues (from all sources) 127,185,688 264,079 58,560,000 121,590 58,560,000 121,590 Expenses 194,016,260 402,841 51,978,218 107,924 58,560,000 121,590
Table 2 notes:
Programs: upcoming year's annual planEdit
This section is about your organization's programs. A program is a defined set of activities that share the same objectives and a similar theory of change. Please share the general goal of each program, and then list the specific objectives that the program will meet. Please do not include information about your organization's operating activities in this section. You may provide information about activities like administration, staff and board training, fundraising, governance, and internal IT in another section or in a supplementary document, but please do not include these activities here as programs.
- 1. For each program, and overall
- Include targets for each of the three shared measures for each program, and overall. If one or more of these required metrics are not relevant to any of your programs, please consult your program officer.
- Also choose at least two grantee-defined metrics to highlight in this section, and include targets for each of these grantee-defined metrics for each program, and overall. (Other program-specific metrics may be included in your program objectives, in the detailed program sections below.)
- Participants: The number of people who attend your events, programs or activities, either in person or virtually. This definition does not include people organizing activities, social media followers, donors, or others not participating directly.
- Newly registered: The number of participants that create new accounts on a Wikimedia project. These include users who register up to two weeks before the start of the event.
- Content pages: A content page is an article on Wikipedia, an item on Wikidata, a content page on Wikisource, an entry on Wiktionary, and a media file on Commons, etc. This metric captures the total number of content pages created or improved across all Wikimedia projects.
- A: See corresponding activity section
- B: See corresponding activity section
Program Participants Newly registered Content pages A B Quality Content Program - - - - - Wiki Loves Science 100 - 200 2 - Partnership with GLAM 10 3 50 3 n/a Wiki Loves Monuments 140 40 20,300 13 n/a Wiki Loves Earth 90 30 6,000 1 n/a Collaboration with scientific organizations 9 0 30 3 n/a Wikiteam 1+3/edit-a-thons 465 65 1,200 4 4 A Region per Month 46 15 1,500 12 n/a Total for the program 860 153 29,280 38 4 Community Program - - - - - Community meetup-discussions 100 - - 2 n/a Capacity building/meeting with specialists 120 20 - 12 n/a Saturday workshops 200 55 190 40 n/a Total for the program 420 75 190 54 n/a Education Program - - - - - Wikipedia courses for teachers from regions and Yerevan 300 280 1,500 2 n/a Wikipedia courses for students (universities) 40 40 185 2 n/a WikiCamps 420 40 4,205 3 n/a WikiClubs 410 80 34,000 5 n/a Total for the program 1,170 440 39,890 12 n/a TOTAL FOR ALL PROGRAMS 2,450 668 69,360 104 4
Table 3 notes:
- 2. Please list your goals and objectives for each program. Please be sure your objectives meet all three criteria for each program
- The objectives listed are each SMART: specific, measurable, attainable and relevant, and include time-bound targets.
- Include both qualitative targets and quantitative targets, and remember to highlight your baseline metrics.
- Provide any additional information that is important to our understanding of this program. For example, you may include needs assessments, logic models, timelines, tables, or charts. Share how this program will contribute more broadly to movement learning, or explain how your program aligns with important Wikimedia priorities such as increasing participation and improving content on the Wikimedia projects.
Staff and contractors: upcoming year's annual planEdit
- 1. Please describe your organization's staffing plan or strategy here, and provide a link to your organization's staffing plan or organogram if you have one.
- 2. List of staff by department or function.
- You can use this table (or substitute your own list) to show us the number of FTEs (fulltime equivalents) for each department or function, where one person working at 100% time would be counted as 1.0. We need this information about the total number of staff (FTEs) you plan to have by the end of the current funding period, and staff you plan to have by the end of the upcoming funding period.
FTEs Department or function End of current funding period End of upcoming funding period Explanation of changes Staff manager* 1 1 Local Project Coordinator 1 1 Treasurer, Administrative Coordinator 1 1 WikiCamp Supervisor, Event Organizer 1 1 Programmer, Technical Supporter 0.5 0.5 Administrative Coordinator 0.5 0.75 Wikipedia Trainings Coordinator 0 1 Total (should equal the sum of the rows): 5 6.25
Table 4 notes or explanation of significant changes:
*Staff Manager Gayane Vardanyan is on parental leave.
- 3. How much does your organization plan to spend on staff by the end of the current funding period, in currency requested and US dollars?
- 6,191,229 AMD (12,898 USD)
- 4. How much does your organization plan to spend on staff by the end of the upcoming funding period, in currency requested and US dollars?
- 24,764,916 AMD (51,593.7 USD)
Financials: upcoming yearEdit
Detailed budget: upcoming yearEdit
- Please link to your organization's detailed budget showing planned revenues and expenses for the upcoming funding period (e.g. 1 January 2017 to 31 December 2017). This may be a document included on this Wiki (Meta) or a publicly available spreadsheet.
Revenues: upcoming yearEdit
Please use this table to list your organization's anticipated revenues (income, or the amount your organization is bringing in) by revenue source (where the revenue is coming from) in the upcoming funding period (e.g. 1 January 2017 to 31 December 2017).
- Use the status column to show if this funding is already guaranteed, if you are in the process of requesting funding, or if you are planning to request funding at a later time.
- Please include in-kind donations and resources in this table, as applicable, and use the status column to show that they are in-kind resources.
- Do not include money you plan to draw from your reserves during the upcoming funding period.
Anticipated revenues for the upcoming funding period Revenue source Currency requested US dollars Status (e.g. guaranteed, application) Wikimedia Foundation 130,226,056 270,392 Application Wikiclub Donations 7,200,000 14,949.5 Guaranteed Total revenues (should equal the sum of the rows): 137,426,056 285,341 -
Table 5 notes: If your organization has significant funding other than FDC funds, please note how those funds will be used.
Operating reserves: current and upcoming yearsEdit
Please note that there is a policy that places restrictions on how much FDC funding your organization can use to build its operating reserves. If you would like to use FDC funding to for your organization's reserves, you must note that here. You will not be able to decide to allocate FDC funding from this grant to your reserves at a later date.
- 1. What is your plan for maintaining, building, or spending your reserves in the current year and the upcoming funding period? Please use the table below to show the amounts in your reserves at the beginning, year-to-date, and end of your current year, and the amount you plan to have in your reserves by the end of the upcoming funding period.
Year Year start Year start (US) Year-to-date Year-to-date (US) Year end Year end (US) Current year (e.g. 2017) 0 0 0 0 0 0 Upcoming year (e.g. 2018) - - - - 0 0
- 2. How much FDC funding is your organization requesting to add to your reserves in the upcoming funding period? If you are not requesting any FDC funding to add to your reserves in the upcoming funding period, you can write zero.
Expenses: upcoming year's annual planEdit
- 1. Expenses by program (excludes staff and operations).
- Program expenses are the costs associated specifically with your organization's programs, and do not include operating expenses or staff salaries, which will be described in separate tables. Program expenses may be the costs of an event, the costs of outreach materials specific to a program, budgets for microgrants and reimbursements, or technical costs associated with specific programs, for example. The programs listed in this table should correspond to the programs you have listed in the programs section of this proposal form.
Program Currency requested US dollars Quality Content 7,540,000 15,655.5 Community 3,990,000 8,284.54 Education 72,652,740 150,851 Organizational development 250,000 519.081 Total program expenses (should equal the sum of the rows) 84,432,740 175,310
Table 7 notes: If your organization has significant funding designated for specific programs (e.g. a restricted grant), please make a note of that here.
- 2. Total expenses. Please use this table to summarize your organization's total expenses overall.
- These are divided into three categories: (1) staff expenses from Table 4 (including expenses for staff working on both programs and operations), (2) expenses for programs from Table 7 (does not include staff expenses or operations expenses), and (3) expenses for operations (does not include staff expenses or program expenses). Be sure to check the totals in this table to make sure they are consistent with the totals in the other tables you have submitted with this form. For example, your total program expenses excluding staff will be equal to the total in Table 7, while your total staff expenses will be equal to the total in Table 4 and your total expenses will be equal to the total in Table 1.
Expense type Currency requested US dollars Program expenses (total from Table 7, excludes staff) 84,432,740 175,310 Operations (excludes staff and programs) 14,068,400 29,210.6 Upcoming staff total expenses (from Table 4) 31,724,916 65,871.3 Total expenses (should equal the sum of the rows) 130,226,056 270,392
Table 8 notes:
Verification and signatureEdit
Please enter "yes" or "no" for the verification below.
- The term “political or legislative activities” includes any activities relating to political campaigns or candidates (including the contribution of funds and the publication of position statements relating to political campaigns or candidates); voter registration activities; meetings with or submissions and petitions to government executives, ministers, officers or agencies on political or policy issues; and any other activities seeking government intervention or policy implementation (like “lobbying”), whether directed toward the government or the community or public at large. General operating support through the FDC may not be used to cover political and legislative activities, although you may make a separate grant agreement with the WMF for these purposes.
I verify that no funds from the Wikimedia Foundation will be used
for political or legislative activities except as permitted by a grant agreement
Please sign below to complete this proposal form.
- IMPORTANT. Please do not make any changes to this proposal form after the proposal submission deadline for this round. If a change that is essential to an understanding of your organization's proposal is needed, please request the change on the discussion page of this form so it may be reviewed by FDC staff. Once submitted, complete and valid proposal forms submitted on time by eligible organizations will be considered unless an organization withdraws its application in writing or fails to remain eligible for the duration of the FDC process.