Grants:APG/Proposals/2019-2020 round 1/Wikimedia Sverige/Proposal form
- 1. In order to support community review, please provide a brief description of your organization's work in the upcoming funding period.
- See page 2-5 here.
- 2. Name, fiscal year, and funding period.
- Legal name of organization: Wikimedia Sverige
- Organization's fiscal year: 01/01-12/31
- 12-month funding period requested: 01/01/20-12/31/20
- Currency requested: SEK
- Name of primary contact: John Andersson
- 3. Amount requested.
|Total expenses for the upcoming year||11,090,040||1,129,299|
|APG funding requested for the upcoming year||2,950,000||300,399|
|Amount of funding received from WMF for the current year||2,950,000||300,399|
- 4. How does your organization know what community members and contributors to online projects need or want? Does your organization conduct needs assessments or consult the contributors and volunteers most involved with its work?
- To collect inputs and ideas a Member meeting is organized each year during the period August-November where the plans developed by the office and the board are shared. During the meeting thoughts and ideas from the members are collected to further help develop and refine the plans in preparation for the Annual General Assembly.
- At each Annual General Assembly the members are presented with a document outlining the detailed plans for the current year and a separate document outlining the general directions and plans for the following year. Both are voted on and amendments can be added.
- 5. Please provide a link to your organization's strategic plan, and a link to your separate annual plans for the current and upcoming funding periods if you have them.
Financials: current yearEdit
The purpose of this section is to give the FDC an idea of how your organization is receiving funds and spending funds toward your current plan. Your current funding period is the funding period now in progress (e.g. 1 January 2016 to 31 December 2016 for most organizations).
Financials for the current funding period Revenues or expenses Planned (budgeted) Actual, until one month before the proposal due date Projected Currency requested US dollars Currency requested US dollars Currency requested US dollars Revenues (from all sources) 8,349,536 910,099 7,317,535 797,611 9,576,832 1,043,875 Expenses 8,629,536 940,619 3,979,716 433,789 6,791,326 740,255
Table 2 notes:
- The budgeted numbers above reflect the budget submitted for our APG proposal 2018-2019, not our most recent revised version of the budget.
- Some of the funds received during 2019 is tied to work commitments which extend into 2020.
Programs: upcoming year's annual planEdit
This section is about your organization's programs. A program is a defined set of activities that share the same objectives and a similar theory of change. Please share the general goal of each program, and then list the specific objectives that the program will meet. Please do not include information about your organization's operating activities in this section. You may provide information about activities like administration, staff and board training, fundraising, governance, and internal IT in another section or in a supplementary document, but please do not include these activities here as programs.
- 1. For each program, and overall
- Include targets for each of the three shared measures for each program, and overall. If one or more of these required metrics are not relevant to any of your programs, please consult your program officer.
- Also choose at least two grantee-defined metrics to highlight in this section, and include targets for each of these grantee-defined metrics for each program, and overall. (Other program-specific metrics may be included in your program objectives, in the detailed program sections below.)
See overview of Wikimedia Sverige's metrics on page 6-8 here.
- 2. Please list your goals and objectives for each program. Please be sure your objectives meet all three criteria for each program
- The objectives listed are each SMART: specific, measurable, attainable and relevant, and include time-bound targets.
- Include both qualitative targets and quantitative targets, and remember to highlight your baseline metrics.
- Provide any additional information that is important to our understanding of this program. For example, you may include needs assessments, logic models, timelines, tables, or charts. Share how this program will contribute more broadly to movement learning, or explain how your program aligns with important Wikimedia priorities such as increasing participation and improving content on the Wikimedia projects.
See an overview of Wikimedia Sverige's goals and objectives for each program here.
Staff and contractors: upcoming year's annual planEdit
- 1. Please describe your organization's staffing plan or strategy here, and provide a link to your organization's staffing plan or organogram if you have one.
- As part of Wikimedia Sverige's initiative to become a Thematic hub (which would start in the second half of 2020) the organisation will undergo some restructuring to better accommodate an increased workforce. As the details of this restructuring are worked out, and the financial scope of the Thematic hub is established, throughout the remainder of 2019 and start of 2020 the list provided below may not accurately reflect the status at the end of the upcoming funding period. Depending on the size of the grant for the hub and on other external funds earned the size of the workforce will potentially increase faster.
- In addition to staff Wikimedia Sverige engages, or supports, various contractors working with UNESCO, EU lobbying or technical development. Wikimedia Sverige further acts as a fiscal sponsor (for WMF and externally funded projects) where some of those expenses go towards the recipients staff costs. Neither of these are counted towards the staff costs later in this section.
- 2. List of staff by department or function.
- You can use this table (or substitute your own list) to show us the number of FTEs (fulltime equivalents) for each department or function, where one person working at 100% time would be counted as 1.0. We need this information about the total number of staff (FTEs) you plan to have by the end of the current funding period, and staff you plan to have by the end of the upcoming funding period.
FTEs Department or function End of current funding period End of upcoming funding period Explanation of changes Executive Director 1 1 Chief Operating Officer 1 1 Product Manager 0 1 This hire would be specifically for the Thematic Hub Project Managers 2 3 There is currently a vacancy in one of these positions which we aim to fill. Developers 2 4 One of these hires is for Wikispeech, one would be for the Thematic Hub. Project Assistants 1.8 1.8 HR Assistant 0 0.5 This assistant would offload the ED and COO. Communicator 0.5 0.5 Total (should equal the sum of the rows): 8.3 12.8 See above and first part of this section.
Table 4 notes or explanation of significant changes:
- Note that many of the new positions will be filled only once the Thematic Hub gets started and are thus not FTE for the whole year.
- 3. How much does your organization plan to spend on staff by the end of the current funding period, in currency requested and US dollars?
- 5,130,336 SEK ($559,207) per original budget
- 4. How much does your organization plan to spend on staff by the end of the upcoming funding period, in currency requested and US dollars?
- 6,889,578 SEK ($750,964)
Financials: upcoming yearEdit
Detailed budget: upcoming yearEdit
- Please link to your organization's detailed budget showing planned revenues and expenses for the upcoming funding period (e.g. 1 January 2017 to 31 December 2017). This may be a document included on this Wiki (Meta) or a publicly available spreadsheet.
Revenues: upcoming yearEdit
Please use this table to list your organization's anticipated revenues (income, or the amount your organization is bringing in) by revenue source (where the revenue is coming from) in the upcoming funding period (e.g. 1 January 2017 to 31 December 2017).
- Use the status column to show if this funding is already guaranteed, if you are in the process of requesting funding, or if you are planning to request funding at a later time.
- Please include in-kind donations and resources in this table, as applicable, and use the status column to show that they are in-kind resources.
- Do not include money you plan to draw from your reserves during the upcoming funding period.
Anticipated revenues for the upcoming funding period Revenue source Currency requested US dollars Status (e.g. guaranteed, application) Membership fees 115,000 12,535 Donations 200,000 21,800 Wikimedia Foundation (FDC) 2,950,000 321,550 application Interest, misc 15,000 1,635 Other grants 298,920 32,582 application Stockholm University 106,120 11,567 guaranteed National Library of Sweden 931,000 101,479 50% guaranteed Kulturbryggan 200,000 21,800 guaranteed Vinnova 129,000 14,061 guaranteed Sida 143,750 15,669 guaranteed The Culture Foundation of the Swedish Postcode Lottery 500,000 54,500 guaranteed Wikimedia Foundation (non-FDC) 3,878,626 422,770 40% guaranteed Swedish Post and Telecom Authority 1,622,624 176,866 guaranteed FsData 2,088 228 In-kind The Swedish Internet Foundation 337,500 36,788 In-kind 39,360 4,290 In-kind The Generation 900 98 In-kind Total revenues (should equal the sum of the rows): 11,469,888 1,250,218 -
Table 5 notes: If your organization has significant funding other than FDC funds, please note how those funds will be used.
- See budget document for breakdown of Non-FDC funding.
- In kind donations are for server/web hosting (FsData, The Generation), subsidised office space (The Swedish Internet Foundation) and G Suite for Nonprofits (Google).
Operating reserves: current and upcoming yearsEdit
Please note that there is a policy that places restrictions on how much FDC funding your organization can use to build its operating reserves. If you would like to use FDC funding to for your organization's reserves, you must note that here. You will not be able to decide to allocate FDC funding from this grant to your reserves at a later date.
- 1. What is your plan for maintaining, building, or spending your reserves in the current year and the upcoming funding period? Please use the table below to show the amounts in your reserves at the beginning, year-to-date, and end of your current year, and the amount you plan to have in your reserves by the end of the upcoming funding period.
Year Year start Year start (US) Year-to-date Year-to-date (US) Year end Year end (US) Current year (e.g. 2017) 525,521 57,282 525,521 57,282 1,075,521 117,232 Upcoming year (e.g. 2018) - - - - 1,625,521 177,182
- 2. How much FDC funding is your organization requesting to add to your reserves in the upcoming funding period? If you are not requesting any FDC funding to add to your reserves in the upcoming funding period, you can write zero.
- 400,000 SEK
Expenses: upcoming year's annual planEdit
- 1. Expenses by program (excludes staff and operations).
- Program expenses are the costs associated specifically with your organization's programs, and do not include operating expenses or staff salaries, which will be described in separate tables. Program expenses may be the costs of an event, the costs of outreach materials specific to a program, budgets for microgrants and reimbursements, or technical costs associated with specific programs, for example. The programs listed in this table should correspond to the programs you have listed in the programs section of this proposal form.
Program Currency requested US dollars Access 821,706 89,566 Use 1,004,009 109,437 Community 180,885 19,716 Enabling 645,116 70,318 Total program expenses (should equal the sum of the rows) 2,651,716 289,037
Table 7 notes: If your organization has significant funding designated for specific programs (e.g. a restricted grant), please make a note of that here.
- See the budget document for breakdown of any restricted grants.
- 2. Total expenses. Please use this table to summarize your organization's total expenses overall.
- These are divided into three categories: (1) staff expenses from Table 4 (including expenses for staff working on both programs and operations), (2) expenses for programs from Table 7 (does not include staff expenses or operations expenses), and (3) expenses for operations (does not include staff expenses or program expenses). Be sure to check the totals in this table to make sure they are consistent with the totals in the other tables you have submitted with this form. For example, your total program expenses excluding staff will be equal to the total in Table 7, while your total staff expenses will be equal to the total in Table 4 and your total expenses will be equal to the total in Table 1.
Expense type Currency requested US dollars Program expenses (total from Table 7, excludes staff) 2,651,716 289,037 Operations (excludes staff and programs) 998,747 108,863 Upcoming staff total expenses (from Table 4) 6,889,578 750,964 Total expenses (should equal the sum of the rows) 10,540,041 1,148,864
Table 8 notes:
- Note that consultants are not counted towards staff expenses.
Verification and signatureEdit
Please enter "yes" or "no" for the verification below.
- The term “political or legislative activities” includes any activities relating to political campaigns or candidates (including the contribution of funds and the publication of position statements relating to political campaigns or candidates); voter registration activities; meetings with or submissions and petitions to government executives, ministers, officers or agencies on political or policy issues; and any other activities seeking government intervention or policy implementation (like “lobbying”), whether directed toward the government or the community or public at large. General operating support through the FDC may not be used to cover political and legislative activities, although you may make a separate grant agreement with the WMF for these purposes.
I verify that no funds from the Wikimedia Foundation will be used
for political or legislative activities except as permitted by a grant agreement
Please sign below to complete this proposal form.
- IMPORTANT. Please do not make any changes to this proposal form after the proposal submission deadline for this round. If a change that is essential to an understanding of your organization's proposal is needed, please request the change on the discussion page of this form so it may be reviewed by FDC staff. Once submitted, complete and valid proposal forms submitted on time by eligible organizations will be considered unless an organization withdraws its application in writing or fails to remain eligible for the duration of the FDC process.
Please sign here once this proposal form is complete, using four tildes. John Andersson (WMSE) (talk) 16:07, 4 November 2019 (UTC) and 13:57, 13 November 2019 (UTC)