Grants:APG/Proposals/2019-2020 round 1/Wikimedia Argentina/Proposal form
- 1. In order to support community review, please provide a brief description of your organization's work in the upcoming funding period.
Wikimedia Argentina will work in 2020 through three programs: Education & Human Rights, Culture & Open Knowledge and Diverse Communities. All three programs will be cross-cutting by two main lines of work: promoting knowledge equity & capacity building (leaders & communities).
In our Education & Human Rights program we will continue to promote projects to promote Wikipedia in the classroom as a tool for digital and informational literacy. We will work to scale up our projects at the federal level and advocate for the incorporation of Wikipedia into the national curricula. We will also continue to strengthen WikiDDHHH project; we want to continue building knowledge of historically excluded communities by positioning the voice of the protagonists in the construction of their history. Building quality, diverse and locally relevant knowledge will continue to be one of our priority during 2020. Likewise, for the first time we will have a line exclusively focused on strengthening, mentoring and accompanying educational projects in the region carrying out the I Fellowship project in LATAM.
Regarding our Culture & Open Knowledge program we will continue working with the wide diversity of cultural communities on preserving and making available their local cultural heritage, specially the one that has been historically excluded. To this end, we are going to promote the I Fund for endangered heritage and we will allocate resources for it. Also, we will partner with new and diverse organizations to carry out new projects and advocate for a local and regional free knowledge agenda aiming to guarantee the access to open and locally relevant information to the Latin American society. At the regional level we will work to mentor, provide resources and build the skills needed to help the adoption of open licenses in diverse cultural communities.
In 2020 we will continue to support our local community, organized through diverse thematic communities and we will reach out to already established communities of diverse organizations. In particular, we want to focus on those already working on SDG's subject, in order to co-create missing knowledge of quality and locally relevant. At the local level we will also actively promote the involvement of new voices as part of WMAR, designing new volunteer opportunities, develop, along with new partners, new projects of interest to attract new and diverse profiles within the movement and federalize the leadership, beyond Buenos Aires. At the regional level, we will work to identify, train and accompany new leaders as part of the movement. For this we will promote a training & leadership program and allocate resources for it (fellowship) In this sense we will also work to collect, classify, design and offer a resource bank according to the needs and demands of the communities at a regional scale.
Last but not least, WMAR is actively involved in the strategy process. Part of our work will focus on working in finalizing the process as well as work to help building the implementation phase if needed. In this sense, our work with our regional partners will be a priority too, with the aim of trying to engage the rest of the Latino American groups in the coming phase of the process.
- 2. Name, fiscal year, and funding period.
- Legal name of organization: Asociación Civil Wikimedia Argentina
- Organization's fiscal year: 01/01-12/31
- 12-month funding period requested: 1/1/2020-31/12/2020
- Currency requested: USD
- Name of primary contact: Anna Torres
- 3. Amount requested.
|Total expenses for the upcoming year||USD 283.728||USD 283.728|
|APG funding requested for the upcoming year||USD 279.766||USD 279.766|
|Amount of funding received from WMF for the current year||USD 279,784||USD 279,784|
- 4. How does your organization know what community members and contributors to online projects need or want? Does your organization conduct needs assessments or consult the contributors and volunteers most involved with its work?
Wikimedia Argentina works closely together with Wikimedia’s Spanish-speaking community. For our 2020 annual grant, we have encouraged the participation of the community to obtain feedback as follows:
- Monthly board meetings: Wikimedia Argentina holds monthly meetings with its Board. These meetings are open to the whole community, and travel allowances are paid for those community members who wish to attend. The current annual plan has been designed along with our local community and has been approved during our General Assembly 12th of October.
- Activities' feedback: Volunteers, participants, partners and long-term wikimedians have been providing us feedback regarding our programs. This proposal reflects their interests, demands and needs.
- Emerging communities: some of our activities involve leaders from emerging communities. We have reach out to them and also to potential regional partners in advance.
- Wikimedia Argentina's members email list: Wikimedia Argentina has an email list to interact with its members where we share each new activity planned or any new regarding the Wikimedia movement. A great number of our members have given us their feedback regarding our activities through this channel.
- 5. Please provide a link to your organization's strategic plan, and a link to your separate annual plans for the current and upcoming funding periods if you have them.
Our 2020 strategic plan can be found here.
During 2019 we have begun to design a new strategic planning for the coming years. Although we have been able to define two new fundamental lines of work for the coming years, the Argentine context and the fact that the strategy process is still open, has slowed its development this year. In 2020 we are going to integrate our new lines of work - expressed in this year's planning - with other priority lines for the coming years, in a new 2/3 years strategy.
Annual plan summaryEdit
The annual proposal of Wikimedia Argentina for the year 2019-2020 is organized through three main programs - Education & Rights, Culture and Open Knowledge and Diverse Communities. We will work through to main lines of work for the next years:
- Promoting knowledge equity: Creating diverse, reliable and currently underrepresented knowledge to ensure that knowledge is locally relevant for LATAM communities
- Capacity building - communities & leaders: Generating skills, abilities, processes and resources to boost current and future communities in pursuit of the development of an equitable, inclusive, diverse and inviting movement for all.
Both are key to continue strengthening the new strategic direction in pursuit of being the essential infrastructure of the ecosystem of free knowledge in 2030. On the one hand, we want to continue working so that Wikimedia projects represent the total diversity of Argentinean and Latin American knowledge. We want to continue building knowledge from the South, directly involving the affected communities and prioritizing the knowledge of historically excluded communities. On the other hand, we want to continue working to build a more inclusive and representative movement, supporting and accompanying the growth and development of new and emerging diverse communities, both locally and regionally (more information on these lines of work here)
Apart from the strategic lines, our work on advocacy & partnerships will be crucial. As a matter of fact, one or some of these cross-cutting principles might become a strategic line of work next year or in the next following years, so we must keep our plans flexible and subject to possible changes. This is the result of the current political situation of our country, that will have general elections in 2019 and surveys point to a likely change of administration. This will directly affect our work in these areas and we will have to adapt to the new local agenda.
Gender & Diversity will continue to be a fundamental cross-cutting line affecting all the programs in 2020.
In 2019 we closed all the projects we had with other funders beyond WMF. Although we continue to work to diversify our funds and this will be a priority in 2020, it has been difficult in 2019. Partly due to the country's economic situation, which has meant a reduction in subsidies at the local level and a - partial - change in the priorities of international cooperation for Argentina.
The WMAR's budget for 2020 can be found here
The summary of our expenses is as follows:
|Program||USD||% of total expenses||Comments|
|Administration||USD 30,588||10,9%||Adiministration expenditures decrease due to currency devalution|
|Education & Rights||USD 29,716||10,6%||n/a|
|Culture & Open Knowledge||USD 35,521||12,7%||Funds required to WMF grow in order to support digitizing program.|
|Diverse Communities||USD 28,650||10,2%||n/a|
|Fellowship Programs||USD 18,604||6,6%||We expect to receive 10 fellows by 2020 in total - education program and community program.|
|TOTAL BUDGET 2020- Wikimedia Argentina||USD 279.766||100,0%||We expect to keep the amount of our In Kind Donations: USD 3.962
We also expect the peso to continue to devalue and this could affect prices (2019 will end with inflation of approximately 60%). The current situation is so unpredictable that we cannot really know what is going to happen and how it will affect us, but we are in contact with the Wikimedia Foundation and we handle different scenarios in order to be able to attend - if necessary - to possible difficulties.
Verification and signatureEdit
Please enter "yes" or "no" for the verification below.
- The term “political or legislative activities” includes any activities relating to political campaigns or candidates (including the contribution of funds and the publication of position statements relating to political campaigns or candidates); voter registration activities; meetings with or submissions and petitions to government executives, ministers, officers or agencies on political or policy issues; and any other activities seeking government intervention or policy implementation (like “lobbying”), whether directed toward the government or the community or public at large. General operating support through the FDC may not be used to cover political and legislative activities, although you may make a separate grant agreement with the WMF for these purposes.
I verify that no funds from the Wikimedia Foundation will be used
for political or legislative activities except as permitted by a grant agreement
Please sign below to complete this proposal form.
- IMPORTANT. Please do not make any changes to this proposal form after the proposal submission deadline for this round. If a change that is essential to an understanding of your organization's proposal is needed, please request the change on the discussion page of this form so it may be reviewed by FDC staff. Once submitted, complete and valid proposal forms submitted on time by eligible organizations will be considered unless an organization withdraws its application in writing or fails to remain eligible for the duration of the FDC process.