Grants:APG/Proposals/2018-2019 round 1/Wikimedia Argentina/Proposal form
- 1. In order to support community review, please provide a brief description of your organization's work in the upcoming funding period.
Wikimedia Argentina has adapted its annual proposal to the new SD and will work on a new strategic planning for next years during 2019-2020 to continue designing our programs accordingly to the results of the strategy process.
As part of this process of change, our education program has been re-defined as Education & Rights Program. We will continue to promote Wikipedia as a learning tool across the country but we will expand the focus of the program to new partners and diverse topics - digital rights and literacy- developing new projects and providing access to new OER according to our local context and teachers' needs. On the other hand, we will continue to promote the Human Right's agenda in Latin America and we will organize the I conference on this topic with the aim also of attracting new voices to the Wikimedia movement. Regarding our Culture and Open knowledge program, we will continue working to redefine the concept of culture beyond GLAM in order to represent the totality of the movement's diversity. In 2019 we will continue working with the wide diversity of cultural communities on preserving and making available their local cultural heritage, specially the one that has been historically excluded. Also, we will partner with new and diverse organizations - science institutions, fact checkers & open data organizations, gender & diversity communities etc.- to carry out new projects aiming to guarantee the access to quality, open and locally relevant information to the Argentinean society. For this, we will deepen our work with Wikidata and Wikisource and we will measure the impact of our program beyond the Wikimedia projects.
In 2019 we will continue to support our local community, organized through diverse thematic communities. Beyond strengthening these communities and accompany their projects, our Community Building program will actively promote the involvement of new voices as part of WMAR, designing new volunteer opportunities and develop, along with new partners, new projects of interest to attract new and diverse profiles within the movement.
Last but not least, WMAR is actively involved in the strategy process- two staff members are part of the WGs. Part of our work will focus on working, together with the movement, in defining the new strategic direction. In this sense, our work with Iberocoop will be a priority too, with the aim of defining the strategy of the network for the next years.
- 2. Name, fiscal year, and funding period.
- Legal name of organization: Asociación Civil Wikimedia Argentina
- Organization's fiscal year: 01/01-12/31
- 12-month funding period requested: 1/1/2019-31/12/2019
- Currency requested: USD
- Name of primary contact: Anna Torres
- 3. Amount requested.
|Total expenses for the upcoming year||290,401||290,401|
|APG funding requested for the upcoming year||279,784||279,784|
|Amount of funding received from WMF for the current year||240,704||240,704|
- Funding request for 2019 includes USD 27,242 that will be destined to the organization of the "I Rights Conference" in Buenos Aires. Total funding not including this concept reaches USD 252,542.
- 4. How does your organization know what community members and contributors to online projects need or want? Does your organization conduct needs assessments or consult the contributors and volunteers most involved with its work?
Wikimedia Argentina works closely together with Wikimedia’s Spanish-speaking community. For our 2019 annual grant, we have encouraged the participation of the community to obtain feedback as follows:
- Monthly board meetings: Wikimedia Argentina holds monthly meetings with its Board. These meetings are open to the whole community, and travel allowances are paid for those community members who wish to attend. The current annual plan has been designed along with our local community and has been approved during our General Assembly that took place on October, 6th.
- Activities' surveys & feedback: we have conducted surveys after every activity and meetings. Volunteers, participants, partners and long-term wikimedians have been providing us feedback regarding our programs. This proposal reflects their interests, demands and needs.
- Iberocoop feedback: in this proposal we have involved other regional wikimedia's chapters.The projects where other chapters are involved have been reviewed by them in advance.
- Wikimedia Argentina's members email list: Wikimedia Argentina has an email list to interact with its members where we share each new activity planned or any new regarding the Wikimedia movement. A great number of our members have given us their feedback regarding our activities through this channel.
- 5. Please provide a link to your organization's strategic plan, and a link to your separate annual plans for the current and upcoming funding periods if you have them.
We have adapted our strategy to a 1 year strategic plan 2019 - 2020 according to the new SD, that can be found here. It is important to keep in mind that during 2019-2020 we will design a new strategy for the next 3 years, according to the results of the strategy process.
Annual plan summaryEdit
The annual proposal of Wikimedia Argentina for the year 2019-2020 is organized through three main programs - Education & Rights, Culture and Open Knowledge and Building Communities. During 2019-2020 we will design our new strategy for the next three years according to the results and recommendations of the strategy process that is currently being carried out. In this transitional year, we have adapted the WMAR programs more than ever to the our context and local reality. We are redesigning the focus of our education & rights program, to answer properly to the needs of teachers and students and to promote Wikipedia as a learning tool also on digital rights and human rights. At the cultural level, we will continue to generate innovative projects in accordance with our local culture. We want to continue working in the construction of our own cultural identity -with and beyond GLAM- suitable for the diverse cultural communities of the Global South. Finally, we will continue to promote diverse communities to increasingly involve new members and new voices, currently missing in the movement.
Our complete annual plan summary can be found here
- To better understand our programs we have also developed some guiding questions in order to share our learnings, explain our new projects, define our grantee metrics and asses the risk of each program. These information can be found in the following links:
- Important questions to understand the Education & Rights Program 2019
- Important questions to understand the Culture and Open knowledge Program 2019
- Important questions to understand the Community Building Program 2019
Wikimedia Argentina is working to diversify its funds. During 2018 we had the financial support of Open Society Foundations and the Government of the City of Buenos Aires, to scale up our Human Rights project and strengthening our digitizing project. In 2019 we have obtained a small fund from the Canada Embassy to work to improve LGBT+ content . This project is carried out with Presentes -the main Latin American media that covers this topic in the region. We have already submitted and we currently working to submit new projects to other international funds for 2019. Diversifying funds is a key strategy for the next coming years.
The WMAR's budget for 2019 can be found here
The summary of our expenses is as follows:
|Program||USD||% of total expenses||Comments|
|Administration||USD 32,927||11,3%||Adiministration expenditures decrease due to currency devalution|
|Staff||USD 127,697||44,0%||Staff expenditures decrease due to currency devalution|
|Education & Rights||USD 42,892||14,8%||USD 10,618 were obtained from Canada Fund for the Sexual Diversity project . Funds requested to WMF also increase in order to strengthen our rights program.|
|Culture & Open Knowledge||USD 28,189||9,7%||Funds required to WMF grow in order to support digitizing program.|
|Community Building||USD 24,504||8,4%||Expenses of Community Building program decrease due to currency devaluation.|
|Wikimedia Movement: Strategy Groups + EDs retreat||USD 6,950||2,4%||Working groups + EDs retreat face to face meetings.|
|Rights Conference||USD 27,242||9,4%||I Rights Summit of the Wikimedia Movement. The budget is included in this proposal following the advice of the WMF.|
|TOTAL BUDGET 2019- Wikimedia Argentina||USD 290,401||100,0%||Devaluation of Argentinean peso makes possible to reduce Administration, Staff and Community Building expenses. This currency fluctuation generates oscillations in the programs expenses that are not necessarily related to the level of activity of each program.|
Verification and signatureEdit
Please enter "yes" or "no" for the verification below.
- The term “political or legislative activities” includes any activities relating to political campaigns or candidates (including the contribution of funds and the publication of position statements relating to political campaigns or candidates); voter registration activities; meetings with or submissions and petitions to government executives, ministers, officers or agencies on political or policy issues; and any other activities seeking government intervention or policy implementation (like “lobbying”), whether directed toward the government or the community or public at large. General operating support through the FDC may not be used to cover political and legislative activities, although you may make a separate grant agreement with the WMF for these purposes.
I verify that no funds from the Wikimedia Foundation will be used
for political or legislative activities except as permitted by a grant agreement
Please sign below to complete this proposal form.
- IMPORTANT. Please do not make any changes to this proposal form after the proposal submission deadline for this round. If a change that is essential to an understanding of your organization's proposal is needed, please request the change on the discussion page of this form so it may be reviewed by FDC staff. Once submitted, complete and valid proposal forms submitted on time by eligible organizations will be considered unless an organization withdraws its application in writing or fails to remain eligible for the duration of the FDC process.