Grants:APG/Proposals/2016-2017 round 1/Wikimedia Ukraine/Proposal form/zh
If you need to review the edit instructions you will find them in the edit intro.
- Use this form if you are eligible to submit a proposal in the current round, to request funding in the current round.
- This form must be published on Meta by the proposal submission date for each round to be considered, and no changes may be made after the submission date without staff approval.
- This form complements your organization's annual plan, detailed budget, and strategic plan. It won't be considered complete without a detailed budget and strategic plan.
- Organizations may apply for a funding period that does not exactly match their fiscal years. Follow the instructions carefully to understand what time period each question refers to.
- Refer to the framework, guidance from the Board, and the FDC's recommendations before using this form, so you have an understanding of the Annual Plan Grants process.
- Please Email FDCSupport@Wikimedia.org with questions about using the form.
A few terms used in the form:
FDC proposal form terms Wikimedia terms Learning & Evaluation terms
- 1. In order to support community review, please provide a brief description of your organization's work in the upcoming funding period.
In 2017 Wikimedia Ukraine (WMUA) will keep developing the programs we focused on in 2016, paying special attention to increasing the number of contributors, encouraging new partnerships and making our Wikipedia Education Programme, GLAM, wikiexpeditions, writing article contests (like CEE Spring, etc) and photo competitions (Wiki Loves Earth, Wiki Loves Monuments) etc. more productive.
- 2. Name, fiscal year, and funding period.
- Legal name of organization: 烏克蘭維基媒體分會
- Organization's fiscal year: 01/01 – 12/31
- 12-month funding period requested: 01/01/17 – 12/31/17
- Currency requested: USD
- Name of primary contact: Ilya / Illia Korniiko, Chair
- 3. 申請數額
|Total expenses for the upcoming year||88,200.00||88,200.00|
|APG funding requested for the upcoming year||87,000.00||87,000.00|
|Amount of funding received from WMF for the current year||75,000.00||75,000.00|
- 4. How does your organization know what community members and contributors to online projects need or want? Does your organization conduct needs assessments or consult the contributors and volunteers most involved with its work?
Throughout the year we maintain open channels with the community, announcing important events on the appropriate pages, being present regularly on Village Pump, Facebook, contacting through mailing lists and personal meetings. We have held assessment meetings with the board and staff to formulate the baselines for running the programs more smoothly.
In 2015 the Community Capacity Development initiative was presented on Wikimedia Ukraine Conference. A discussion was held on the Ukrainian Wikipedia in September-October 2015 to determine the community wishes and preference which areas to develop. Its result was a decision to focus on conflict management, new contributor engagement and growth capacities. More than 20 community members participated in the discussion and 25 took part in a two-day in-person training on conflict management. The discussion on new contributor engagement and growth goes on.
In September we had our annual Wikimedia Conference opened to WMUA members and the whole community of Ukrainian Wikimedia projects. Participants could openly discuss successes and failures of the programs and contribute with new ideas to our plan. A wider community online survey is planned for November.
- 5. Please provide a link to your organization's strategic plan, and a link to your separate annual plans for the current and upcoming funding periods if you have them.
- 2015 Directions and Action Plan (not translated to English)
- 2016 Directions and Action Plan (not translated to English)
Note on strategic plan: We have not developed a strategic plan yet, we plan to have a community consultation during November 2016. We plan to dedicate October to developing the questionnaire and the process for it. The results of the community consultation will be the foundation of our strategic plan.
Financials: current year
The purpose of this section is to give the FDC an idea of how your organization is receiving funds and spending funds toward your current plan. Your current funding period is the funding period now in progress (e.g. 1 January 2016 to 31 December 2016 for most organizations).
Financials for the current funding period Revenues or expenses Planned (budgeted) Actual, until one month before the proposal due date Projected Currency requested US dollars Currency requested US dollars Currency requested US dollars Revenues (from all sources) 76,200.00 76,200.00 75,000.00 75,000.00 76,200.00 1,200.00 76,200.00 1,200.00 Expenses 76,200.00 76,200.00 37,447.80 37,447.80 76,200.00 38,752.20 76,200.00 38,752.20
Table 2 notes:
- We are requesting to receive the grant in USD, as Ukrainian Hryvnia is very volatile. This makes exchange gain/loss extremely high. In order to have more reasonable measures, we are providing prices in USD only.
- We would also ask for splitting the grant in two transfers at least, if it is possible, as our government makes us sell 75% of incoming funds in foreign currency immediately upon reception
- US$8300 was disbursed to Wikimedia Poland as the fiscal sponsor for our grant. US$3,391.30 was left as unspent grant funds from 3 PEGs of 2015, US$63,308.70 was transferred in two installments during 2016.
- Awards ceremonies for Wiki Loves Earth, Wiki Loves Monuments, Science Photo Competitions, article contest and a number of other activities are planned for October-December
Programs: upcoming year's annual plan
This section is about your organization's programs. A program is a defined set of activities that share the same objectives and a similar theory of change. Please share the general goal of each program, and then list the specific objectives that the program will meet. Please do not include information about your organization's operating activities in this section. You may provide information about activities like administration, staff and board training, fundraising, governance, and internal IT in another section or in a supplementary document, but please do not include these activities here as programs.
- 1. For each program, and overall
- Include targets for each of the three shared measures for each program, and overall. If one or more of these required metrics are not relevant to any of your programs, please consult your program officer.
- Also choose at least two grantee-defined metrics to highlight in this section, and include targets for each of these grantee-defined metrics for each program, and overall. (Other program-specific metrics may be included in your program objectives, in the detailed program sections below.)
- Participants: The number of people who attend your events, programs or activities, either in person or virtually. This definition does not include people organizing activities, social media followers, donors, or others not participating directly.
- Newly registered: The number of participants that create new accounts on a Wikimedia project. These include users who register up to two weeks before the start of the event.
- Content pages: A content page is an article on Wikipedia, an item on Wikidata, a content page on Wikisource, an entry on Wiktionary, and a media file on Commons, etc. This metric captures the total number of content pages created or improved across all Wikimedia projects.
- Media files used: Given that a significant part of our projects focus on images and other media, we intend to measure not just the number of files uploaded, but also the number of images used. We count all images used in Wikimedia projects, both in main namespace and on other content pages (e.g. lists on Wikipedia, indexes on Wikisource etc.)
- Geographic diversity: We want to measure the number of regions (out of 27 regions in Ukraine, 2 of which are occupied by Russia as of now) where we organised events. As our community is very much centred around Kyiv and Lviv, we believe that events in regions will help us improve the geographic diversity of contributors.
Program Participants Newly registered Content pages Media files used Geographic diversity Outreach & Partnerships 250 120 1040 190 10 Thematic Content 3140 1265 112,500 12,400 9 Community Support 220 5 3850 350 5 TOTAL FOR ALL PROGRAMS 3500 1390 117,390 12,940 15
Table 3 notes:
- Numbers of participants and regions cannot be summed directly, as we expect that some participants may be involved in several programmes, and some regions (typically most populated ones) will have two or all three programmes.
- Numbers for Thematic Content are heavily influenced by the international Wiki Loves Earth (WLE) photo contest. Without the international WLE they are: 840 participants, 365 newly registered users, 47,500 pages, 6400 media files used.
- The Community Support programme in general is not targeting the recruitment of new users, but we believe we might get some, mostly owing to regional events.
- 2. Please list your goals and objectives for each program. Please be sure your objectives meet all three criteria for each program
- The objectives listed are each SMART: specific, measurable, attainable and relevant, and include time-bound targets.
- Include both qualitative targets and quantitative targets, and remember to highlight your baseline metrics.
- Provide any additional information that is important to our understanding of this program. For example, you may include needs assessments, logic models, timelines, tables, or charts. Share how this program will contribute more broadly to movement learning, or explain how your program aligns with important Wikimedia priorities such as increasing participation and improving content on the Wikimedia projects.
Outreach & Partnerships
Staff and contractors: upcoming year's annual plan
- 1. Please describe your organization's staffing plan or strategy here, and provide a link to your organization's staffing plan or organogram if you have one.
Our staffing plan for 2017 as follows:
- Project Manager (0.75 FTE), based in Kyiv. Job description. Reports to Chair of Board, works with board members coordinating each programme.
- Project Manager (0.75 FTE), based in Lviv. Same as above.
- Office Manager (0.75 FTE), based in Kyiv. Job description. Reports to Chair of Board, works with project managers.
- 2. List of staff by department or function.
- You can use this table (or substitute your own list) to show us the number of FTEs (fulltime equivalents) for each department or function, where one person working at 100% time would be counted as 1.0. We need this information about the total number of staff (FTEs) you plan to have by the end of the current funding period, and staff you plan to have by the end of the upcoming funding period.
FTEs Department or function End of current funding period End of upcoming funding period Explanation of changes Project Manager 1 1.5 Increased workload: at the moment our two part-time project managers (one in Kyiv and one in Lviv) have to work extra hours in periods of significant programmatic activities. We expect that our project managers who are currently working at 0.5 FTE (20 hours per week) will be working at 0.75 FTE (30 hours per week) in 2017. Office Manager 0.5 0.75 We will continue to employ our part-time office manager currently dealing with post, deliveries, ordering prizes and etc. to prevent the burnout of our volunteers. We also expect him to switch to 0.75 FTE as some activities will require more administrative work, in particular in Community Support programme (in particular making arrangements for events, ordering and sending prizes etc.) Total (should equal the sum of the rows): 1.5 2.25 As explained above, we expect all our part-time staff currently working at 0.5 FTE to switch to 0.75 FTE due to development of programmes and as a result increased workload.
Table 4 notes or explanation of significant changes:
- Our part-time staff currently working at 0.5 FTE will switch to 0.75 FTE due to development of programmes and as a result increased workload.
- While recruiting project managers we decided to hire two 0.5 FTE employees, one based in Kyiv and one in Lviv (two main centers of Ukrainian wiki community) instead of one 1 FTE employee. We found out that this was a good decision and we intend to continue working this way.
- 3. How much does your organization plan to spend on staff by the end of the current funding period, in currency requested and US dollars?
- 10,032.00 USD
- 4. How much does your organization plan to spend on staff by the end of the upcoming funding period, in currency requested and US dollars?
- 15,048.00 USD
Financials: upcoming year
Detailed budget: upcoming year
- Please link to your organization's detailed budget showing planned revenues and expenses for the upcoming funding period (e.g. 1 January 2017 to 31 December 2017). This may be a document included on this Wiki (Meta) or a publicly available spreadsheet.
Revenues: upcoming year
Please use this table to list your organization's anticipated revenues (income, or the amount your organization is bringing in) by revenue source (where the revenue is coming from) in the upcoming funding period (e.g. 1 January 2017 to 31 December 2017).
- Use the status column to show if this funding is already guaranteed, if you are in the process of requesting funding, or if you are planning to request funding at a later time.
- Please include in-kind donations and resources in this table, as applicable, and use the status column to show that they are in-kind resources.\
- Do not include money you plan to draw from your reserves during the upcoming funding period.
Anticipated revenues for the upcoming funding period Revenue source Currency requested US dollars Status (e.g. guaranteed, application) Grants (APG) 87,000.00 87,000.00 requested Donations and contributions 1,000.00 1,000.00 not yet requested Membership fees 200.00 200.00 guaranteed Total revenues (should equal the sum of the rows): 88,200.00 88,200.00 -
Table 5 notes: If your organization has significant funding other than FDC funds, please note how those funds will be used.
Operating reserves: current and upcoming years
Please note that there is a policy that places restrictions on how much FDC funding your organization can use to build its operating reserves. If you would like to use FDC funding to for your organization's reserves, you must note that here. You will not be able to decide to allocate FDC funding from this grant to your reserves at a later date.
- 1. What is your plan for maintaining, building, or spending your reserves in the current year and the upcoming funding period? Please use the table below to show the amounts in your reserves at the beginning, year-to-date, and end of your current year, and the amount you plan to have in your reserves by the end of the upcoming funding period.
Year Year start Year start (US) Year-to-date Year-to-date (US) Year end Year end (US) Current year (e.g. 2017) 0 0 0 0 0 0 Upcoming year (e.g. 2018) - - - - 0 0
- 2. How much FDC funding is your organization requesting to add to your reserves in the upcoming funding period? If you are not requesting any FDC funding to add to your reserves in the upcoming funding period, you can write zero.
Expenses: upcoming year's annual plan
- 1. Expenses by program (excludes staff and operations).
- Program expenses are the costs associated specifically with your organization's programs, and do not include operating expenses or staff salaries, which will be described in separate tables. Program expenses may be the costs of an event, the costs of outreach materials specific to a program, budgets for microgrants and reimbursements, or technical costs associated with specific programs, for example. The programs listed in this table should correspond to the programs you have listed in the programs section of this proposal form.
Program Currency requested US dollars Outreach & Partnerships 8,500.00 8,500.00 Thematic Content 32,700.00 32,700.00 Community Support 24,000.00 24,000.00 Total program expenses (should equal the sum of the rows) 65,200.00 65,200.00
Table 7 notes: If your organization has significant funding designated for specific programs (e.g. a restricted grant), please make a note of that here.
- 2. Total expenses. Please use this table to summarize your organization's total expenses overall.
- These are divided into three categories: (1) staff expenses from Table 4 (including expenses for staff working on both programs and operations), (2) expenses for programs from Table 7 (does not include staff expenses or operations expenses), and (3) expenses for operations (does not include staff expenses or program expenses). Be sure to check the totals in this table to make sure they are consistent with the totals in the other tables you have submitted with this form. For example, your total program expenses excluding staff will be equal to the total in Table 7, while your total staff expenses will be equal to the total in Table 4 and your total expenses will be equal to the total in Table 1.
Expense type Currency requested US dollars Program expenses (total from Table 7, excludes staff) 65,200.00 65,200.00 Operations (excludes staff and programs) 7,952.00 7,952.00 Upcoming staff total expenses (from Table 4) 15,048.00 15,048.00 Total expenses (should equal the sum of the rows) 88,200.00 88,200.00
Table 8 notes:
Verification and signature
Please enter "yes" or "no" for the verification below.
- The term “political or legislative activities” includes any activities relating to political campaigns or candidates (including the contribution of funds and the publication of position statements relating to political campaigns or candidates); voter registration activities; meetings with or submissions and petitions to government executives, ministers, officers or agencies on political or policy issues; and any other activities seeking government intervention or policy implementation (like “lobbying”), whether directed toward the government or the community or public at large. General operating support through the FDC may not be used to cover political and legislative activities, although you may make a separate grant agreement with the WMF for these purposes.
I verify that no funds from the Wikimedia Foundation will be used
for political or legislative activities except as permitted by a grant agreement
Please sign below to complete this proposal form.
- IMPORTANT. Please do not make any changes to this proposal form after the proposal submission deadline for this round. If a change that is essential to an understanding of your organization's proposal is needed, please request the change on the discussion page of this form so it may be reviewed by FDC staff. Once submitted, complete and valid proposal forms submitted on time by eligible organizations will be considered unless an organization withdraws its application in writing or fails to remain eligible for the duration of the FDC process.