Grants:APG/Proposals/2016-2017 round 1/Wikimedia Serbia/Proposal form/Revised
If you need to review the edit instructions you will find them in the edit intro.
- Use this form if you are eligible to submit a proposal in the current round, to request funding in the current round.
- This form must be published on Meta by the proposal submission date for each round to be considered, and no changes may be made after the submission date without staff approval.
- This form complements your organization's annual plan, detailed budget, and strategic plan. It won't be considered complete without a detailed budget and strategic plan.
- Organizations may apply for a funding period that does not exactly match their fiscal years. Follow the instructions carefully to understand what time period each question refers to.
- Refer to the framework, guidance from the Board, and the FDC's recommendations before using this form, so you have an understanding of the Annual Plan Grants process.
- Please Email FDCSupport@Wikimedia.org with questions about using the form.
A few terms used in the form:
FDC proposal form terms Wikimedia terms Learning & Evaluation terms
- 1. In order to support community review, please provide a brief description of your organization's work in the upcoming funding period.
- Wikimedia Serbia had opened two half-time positions in 2015 (Office Manager and Communications Manager) with an objective to increase the visibility of the organization and the commitment to financial records and rationalization. Seeing as the positions have proved to be indispensable, they were both extended to full-time positions in 2016. That enabled a wider media coverage regarding projects and activities of Wikimedia Serbia, which yielded numerous endeavors, as well as better work organization and time management. We plan to realize 6 programs in 2017, i.e. 22 projects. Some of these projects are a continuation of the ones from the previous years, some of them stemming from the micro and photo-grants, and some are new. The focus of the organization will certainly be on the Education Program, which is becoming more developed and complex every year. The organization of the first ever Edu Wiki camp corroborates this, as well as the project submission (an accredited seminar) at the Ministry of Education, Science, and Technological Development. The goal of the project is, as always, to increase the scope and quality of the free content on all Wiki projects. In addition to the Education program, a great deal of attention will be aimed toward the GLAM program, which is becoming more diverse each year. Within that program, the focus will be put on the digitization and content release, especially regarding the Wiki Librarian and Wikipedian in Residence projects.
- 2. Name, fiscal year, and funding period.
- Legal name of organization: Wikimedia Serbia
- Organization's fiscal year: 01/01-12/31
- 12-month funding period requested: 01/01/2017-12/31/2017
- Currency requested: EUR
- Name of primary contact: Filip Maljković
- 3. Amount requested.
|Total expenses for the upcoming year
|APG funding requested for the upcoming year
|Amount of funding received from WMF for the current year
- 4. How does your organization know what community members and contributors to online projects need or want? Does your organization conduct needs assessments or consult the contributors and volunteers most involved with its work?
- Wikimedia Serbia consults the community regarding its projects via different communication channels (mailing lists, Village Pump, social networks, meet-ups). The goal is to strengthen the community and increase motivation of the Wikipedians and Wikimedians to work on the projects and other activities. WMRS has often consulted the community about competition topics or other projects. We aim to have the community more involved with the work of the organization by participating in creating the new project proposals and pointing out the possibilities of improving the existing ones. The second WikiLive conference was held in 2016, which is a local Wikipedian conference. This kind of gathering enables Wikipedians and Wikimedians to get to know one another, exchange ideas, and reinforce the community, as well as the opportunity for the participants to find out more about the work of Wikimedia Serbia and submit annual projects. Wikimedia Serbia will continue with this practice, which is a result of commitment and support to the projects, and the understanding and respect for the needs of the community and the volunteers.
- 5. Please provide a link to your organization's strategic plan, and a link to your separate annual plans for the current and upcoming funding periods if you have them.
Financials: current year edit
The purpose of this section is to give the FDC an idea of how your organization is receiving funds and spending funds toward your current plan. Your current funding period is the funding period now in progress (e.g. 1 January 2016 to 31 December 2016 for most organizations).
Financials for the current funding period Revenues or expenses Planned (budgeted) Actual, until one month before the proposal due date Projected Currency requested US dollars Currency requested US dollars Currency requested US dollars Revenues (from all sources) 112,500.00 126,201.37 113,137.35 126,916.34 113,137.35 126,916.34 Expenses 112,500.00 126,201.37 67,301.87 75,498.56 94.704,00 106,238.00
Table 2 notes:
Programs: upcoming year's annual plan edit
This section is about your organization's programs. A program is a defined set of activities that share the same objectives and a similar theory of change. Please share the general goal of each program, and then list the specific objectives that the program will meet. Please do not include information about your organization's operating activities in this section. You may provide information about activities like administration, staff and board training, fundraising, governance, and internal IT in another section or in a supplementary document, but please do not include these activities here as programs.
- 1. For each program, and overall
- Include targets for each of the three shared measures for each program, and overall. If one or more of these required metrics are not relevant to any of your programs, please consult your program officer.
- Also choose at least two grantee-defined metrics to highlight in this section, and include targets for each of these grantee-defined metrics for each program, and overall. (Other program-specific metrics may be included in your program objectives, in the detailed program sections below.)
- Participants: The number of people who attend your events, programs or activities, either in person or virtually. This definition does not include people organizing activities, social media followers, donors, or others not participating directly.
- Newly registered: The number of participants that create new accounts on a Wikimedia project. These include users who register up to two weeks before the start of the event.
- Content pages: A content page is an article on Wikipedia, an item on Wikidata, a content page on Wikisource, an entry on Wiktionary, and a media file on Commons, etc. This metric captures the total number of content pages created or improved across all Wikimedia projects.
- Number of uploaded/released multimedia
files on Wikimedia Commons (file usage in %): Number of uploaded files on Wikimedia Commons includes free multimedia files gathered and/or released in WMRS projects (photos, video and audio records). File usage is also an important metric. Not only we encourage the creation of free content on Wiki projects but also its usage.
- Number of events: Number of events will be measured in order to track Wiki impact. Those events can be lecturers, workshops, exhibits, meet-ups, conferences, photo-tours, Wiki corners etc. They're important because people who will participated in them will hear about Wiki world, WMRS projects or activities.
Program Participants Newly registered Content pages Number of uploaded/released multimedia
files on Wikimedia Commons (file usage in %)
Number of events Education Program 1645 1125 1160 500 (25%) 61 Free Content 241 110 1320 17520 (43,5%) 126 GLAM 190 145 485 972 (60,74%) 31 Wiktionary 125 45 750 75 (100%) 50 Community Support 346 60 300 1000 (5%) 35 Grants 10 10 125 50 (100%) 5 TOTAL FOR ALL PROGRAMS 2557 1495 4140 20117 (~55%) 308
Table 3 notes:
- Projected metrics per every single project can be seen here.
- 2. Please list your goals and objectives for each program. Please be sure your objectives meet all three criteria for each program
- The objectives listed are each SMART: specific, measurable, attainable and relevant, and include time-bound targets.
- Include both qualitative targets and quantitative targets, and remember to highlight your baseline metrics.
- Provide any additional information that is important to our understanding of this program. For example, you may include needs assessments, logic models, timelines, tables, or charts. Share how this program will contribute more broadly to movement learning, or explain how your program aligns with important Wikimedia priorities such as increasing participation and improving content on the Wikimedia projects.
Staff and contractors: upcoming year's annual plan edit
- 1. Please describe your organization's staffing plan or strategy here, and provide a link to your organization's staffing plan or organogram if you have one.
This year, there will be no changes in terms of WMRS staff structure. In 2015 we eliminated the position of Executive Director and it has been separated into two positions: Office Manager and Communication Manager. This proved to be a good decision which is why we’re not planning to change a staff structure. In the beginning of the 2016, we have given additional assignment of monitoring and evaluation of other employees to Program Manager and Community Support, which also turned out as a good idea, as the daily activities of other employees are now much easier to follow that way.
In May 2016, our Education Program Manager Milica Žarković has taken a maternity leave. In order to fill the void on this position, Wikimedia Serbia has hired Nebojša Ratković for the job, also for a full-time position. The plan of the organization is to keep Nebojša on this position until Milica Žarković returns, which is expected to happen in the early 2018.
- 2. List of staff by department or function.
- You can use this table (or substitute your own list) to show us the number of FTEs (fulltime equivalents) for each department or function, where one person working at 100% time would be counted as 1.0. We need this information about the total number of staff (FTEs) you plan to have by the end of the current funding period, and staff you plan to have by the end of the upcoming funding period.
FTEs Department or function End of current funding period End of upcoming funding period Explanation of changes Program and Community Manager 1.0 1.0 Education Program Manager 2.0 2.0 Look in the notes Communications Manager 1.0 1.0 Office Manager 1.0 1.0 Total (should equal the sum of the rows): 5.0 5.0
Table 4 notes or explanation of significant changes: Until the beginning of 2018, Wikimedia Serbia will officially have two employees (one active) on this position because Milica Žarković is on pregnancy (maternity) leave.
- 3. How much does your organization plan to spend on staff by the end of the current funding period, in currency requested and US dollars?
By the end of the current funding period, Wikimedia Serbia plans to spend 43,528.56 EUR or 48,829.90 USD on staff.
- 4. How much does your organization plan to spend on staff by the end of the upcoming funding period, in currency requested and US dollars?
By the end of the upcoming funding period, Wikimedia Serbia plans to spend 45,222.00 EUR or 50,406.70 USD on staff.
Follow the link to our Budget 2017.
Financials: upcoming year edit
Detailed budget: upcoming year edit
- Please link to your organization's detailed budget showing planned revenues and expenses for the upcoming funding period (e.g. 1 January 2017 to 31 December 2017). This may be a document included on this Wiki (Meta) or a publicly available spreadsheet.
Revenues: upcoming year edit
Please use this table to list your organization's anticipated revenues (income, or the amount your organization is bringing in) by revenue source (where the revenue is coming from) in the upcoming funding period (e.g. 1 January 2017 to 31 December 2017).
- Use the status column to show if this funding is already guaranteed, if you are in the process of requesting funding, or if you are planning to request funding at a later time.
- Please include in-kind donations and resources in this table, as applicable, and use the status column to show that they are in-kind resources.
- Do not include money you plan to draw from your reserves during the upcoming funding period.
Anticipated revenues for the upcoming funding period Revenue source Currency requested US dollars Status (e.g. guaranteed, application) Revenues from WMF donation 94,200.00 105,000.03 Approved Interglider - - In-kind donation National Tourist Organisation of Serbia - - In-kind donation Total revenues (should equal the sum of the rows): 94,200.00 105,000.03 -
Table 5 notes:
Interglider will do the hosting and server administration services.
National Tourist Organisation of Serbia will provide space for the Wiki Loves Earth exhibition in Belgrade.
Operating reserves: current and upcoming years edit
Please note that there is a policy that places restrictions on how much FDC funding your organization can use to build its operating reserves. If you would like to use FDC funding to for your organization's reserves, you must note that here. You will not be able to decide to allocate FDC funding from this grant to your reserves at a later date.
- 1. What is your plan for maintaining, building, or spending your reserves in the current year and the upcoming funding period? Please use the table below to show the amounts in your reserves at the beginning, year-to-date, and end of your current year, and the amount you plan to have in your reserves by the end of the upcoming funding period.
In 2016, Wikimedia Serbia used reserves for unforeseen expenses as well as potential changes in programs. This year we have spent 1,079.54 EUR (1,211.02 USD) from reserves. They have been used for covering the unplanned office moving costs. By the end of the current funding period we project it will be 2,920.46 EUR (3,276.14 USD) in operating reserves. The whole amount will be returned to WMF. In the revised plan for the next year, we will have contingency budget for that purposes. The total amount will be 2,000.00 EUR and the same amount will be returned to the WMF in case of the absence of unforeseen expenses.
Year Year start Year start (US) Year-to-date Year-to-date (US) Year end Year end (US) Current year (e.g. 2017) 4,000.00 4,487.16 2,920.46 3,276.14 2,920.46 3,276.14 Upcoming year (e.g. 2018) - - - - 0.00 0.00
- 2. How much FDC funding is your organization requesting to add to your reserves in the upcoming funding period? If you are not requesting any FDC funding to add to your reserves in the upcoming funding period, you can write zero.
Our organization does not have and does not plan to build its own reserves.
Expenses: upcoming year's annual plan edit
- 1. Expenses by program (excludes staff and operations).
- Program expenses are the costs associated specifically with your organization's programs, and do not include operating expenses or staff salaries, which will be described in separate tables. Program expenses may be the costs of an event, the costs of outreach materials specific to a program, budgets for microgrants and reimbursements, or technical costs associated with specific programs, for example. The programs listed in this table should correspond to the programs you have listed in the programs section of this proposal form.
Program Currency requested US dollars Educational Program 5,450.00 6,074.84 - Wikipedia in Schools 1,375.00 1,532.64 - Professional Development 1,275.00 1,421.18 - Wiki Edu Camp 2,800.00 3,121.02 Free Content 7,010.00 7,813.70 - WIki Loves Earth 2,000.00 2,229.30 - Zapis/Brzansko Moravište 1,250.00 1,393.31 - Kolubara and Podgorina in the picture 1,100.00 1,226.12 - Roadside memorials and tombstones in Serbia 660.00 735.67 - Cultural heritage of Western Serbia 1,300.00 1,449.05 - Wikipedia Competitions 650.00 724.52 - Spoken Wikipedia 50.00 55.73 Free Content: GLAM 6,600.00 7,356.69 - Wiki Takes GLAMers 1,230.00 1,371.02 - Edit-a-thons 500.00 557.33 - Wikipedian in Residence 700.00 780.26 - Wiki Librarian 3,170.00 3,533.44 - Digitalisation of Techno Culture in Serbia 1,000.00 1,114.65 Wiktionary 470.00 523.89 - Cooperation with Univerisities 470.00 523.89 Community Support 7,850.00 8,750.00 - Community Support 1,850.00 2,062.10 - WikiLive 3,000.00 3,343.95 - Wiki South 3,000.00 3,343.95 Microgrants 2,500.00 2,786,63 - Microgrants 2,500.00 2,786.63 Total program expenses (should equal the sum of the rows) 29,880.00 33,305.74
Table 7 notes: If your organization has significant funding designated for specific programs (e.g. a restricted grant), please make a note of that here.
- 2. Total expenses. Please use this table to summarize your organization's total expenses overall.
- These are divided into three categories: (1) staff expenses from Table 4 (including expenses for staff working on both programs and operations), (2) expenses for programs from Table 7 (does not include staff expenses or operations expenses), and (3) expenses for operations (does not include staff expenses or program expenses). Be sure to check the totals in this table to make sure they are consistent with the totals in the other tables you have submitted with this form. For example, your total program expenses excluding staff will be equal to the total in Table 7, while your total staff expenses will be equal to the total in Table 4 and your total expenses will be equal to the total in Table 1.
Expense type Currency requested US dollars Program expenses (total from Table 7, excludes staff) 29,880.00 33,305.74 Operations (excludes staff and programs) 19,098.00 21,287.59 Upcoming staff total expenses (from Table 4) 45,222.00 50,406.70 Total expenses (should equal the sum of the rows) 94,200.00 105,000.03
Table 8 notes:
Translated annual plan edit
Verification and signature edit
Please enter "yes" or "no" for the verification below.
- The term “political or legislative activities” includes any activities relating to political campaigns or candidates (including the contribution of funds and the publication of position statements relating to political campaigns or candidates); voter registration activities; meetings with or submissions and petitions to government executives, ministers, officers or agencies on political or policy issues; and any other activities seeking government intervention or policy implementation (like “lobbying”), whether directed toward the government or the community or public at large. General operating support through the FDC may not be used to cover political and legislative activities, although you may make a separate grant agreement with the WMF for these purposes.
I verify that no funds from the Wikimedia Foundation will be used
for political or legislative activities except as permitted by a grant agreement
Please sign below to complete this proposal form.
- IMPORTANT. Please do not make any changes to this proposal form after the proposal submission deadline for this round. If a change that is essential to an understanding of your organization's proposal is needed, please request the change on the discussion page of this form so it may be reviewed by FDC staff. Once submitted, complete and valid proposal forms submitted on time by eligible organizations will be considered unless an organization withdraws its application in writing or fails to remain eligible for the duration of the FDC process.