Grants:APG/Proposals/2015-2016 round 2/Wikimedia Norge/Proposal form
If you need to review the edit instructions you will find them in the editintro.
- Use this form if you are eligible to submit a proposal in the current round, to request funding in the current round.
- This form must be published on Meta by the proposal submission date for each round to be considered, and no changes may be made after the submission date without staff approval.
- This form complements your organization's annual plan, detailed budget, and strategic plan. It won't be considered complete without a detailed budget and strategic plan.
- Organizations may apply for a funding period that does not exactly match their fiscal years. Follow the instructions carefully to understand what time period each question refers to.
- Refer to the framework, guidance from the Board, and the FDC's recommendations before using this form, so you have an understanding of the Annual Plan Grants process.
- Please Email FDCSupport@Wikimedia.org with questions about using the form.
A few terms used in the form:
FDC proposal form terms Wikimedia terms Learning & Evaluation terms
- 1. In order to support community review, please provide a brief description of your organization's work in the upcoming funding period.
In the upcoming funding period Wikimedia Norge´s annual plan includes 4 programs:
- Community support
- Gender Gap
The biggest change for Wikimedia Norge in the upcoming period will be our focus on community support. We want to improve the knowledge we have on what community members need. Wikimedia Norge would like to include a staff member working as a community liaison to give better support and include community in our programs.
Wikimedia Norge will continue it´s Glam program with a selected group of Glam partners such as The National Library, The National Archive, The Directorate for Cultural Heritage, The Nobel Peace Center and The museum of Nordland. The main outcome from our Glam work will content donations and we will do a test project on the use of quality images together with Nordlandsmuseet.
Building on our previous collaboration with The Arts Council Norway and last funding period´s work with university libraries on Gender gap, we started working on a program called Academia in January 2016 in collaboration with The Research Council of Norway and other academic institutions.
Our Gender gap program last funding period included a lot of traveling to university libraries across the country. We have now narrowed down our gender gap program to monthly wiki meet ups for women.
- 2. Name, fiscal year, and funding period.
- Legal name of organization: Wikimedia Norge
- Organization's fiscal year: 01/01-31/12
- 12-month funding period requested: 01/07/16-30/06/17
- Currency requested: NOK
- Name of primary contact: Astrid Carlsen, Executive Director
- 3. Amount requested.
Exchange rate provided by FDC staff 01/03/16: 1 USD= 8.70139 NOK
|Total expenses for the upcoming year
|APG funding requested for the upcoming year
|Amount of funding received from WMF for the current year
- 4. How does your organization know what community members / contributors to online projects need or want? Does your organization conduct needs assessments or consult the contributors and volunteers most involved with its work?
- Wikimedia Norge has not systematically investigated what community members / contributors to online projects need or want. Staff post on the village pump to ask for input, ideas, help and feedback. We use social media to tell about our work but we mostly reach stakeholders like partners and other organizations and institutions through social media. Since we redesigned our hompepage we are contacted more. With our new membership registration staff get access to email addresses to members. We have started sending out news letters to inform members on important issues like for example our annual meeting. Staff are contacted by community members via email and phone or they stop by our office. Wikimedia Norge's chair confirmed with the community in a post on the village pump when the board was working on the new strategy for 2016-2020. By changing our focus in August 2015 to align our work with the community we do hope that we now have a better understanding on what community members / contributors to online projects need or want.
- To get more knowledge on what community members / contributors to online projects need or want we will do a survey on Wikipedia this fall.
- 5. Please provide a link to your organization's strategic plan and separate annual plans for the current and/or proposed funding period, if you have them. A strategic plan is required.
Financials: current funding period edit
The purpose of this section is to give the FDC an idea of how your organization is receiving funds and spending funds toward your current plan. Your current funding period is the funding period now in progress (e.g. 1 July 2015 to 30 June 2016 for most Round 2 organizations). For organizations new to the APG process, your current funding period is the 12 months before your upcoming funding period (e.g. 1 July 2015 to 30 June 2016 for most Round 2 organizations).
Financials for the current funding period Revenues or expenses Planned (budgeted) Actual, until one month before the proposal due date Projected Currency requested US dollars Currency requested US dollars Currency requested US dollars Revenues (from all sources) 2,561,000 294,320.79 795,264 91,395.05 1,300,000 149,401.41 Expenses 2,485,000 285,586.55 760,892 82,444.87 1,300,000 149,401.41
Table 2 notes:
- The FDC has in their assessment commented on Wikimedia Norge's budget and spending previous years. As of August 2015 we have an outside accountant and budgeting is done by staff instead of the board and by April 2016 we are on budget.
Programs: upcoming year's annual plan edit
This section is about your organization's programs. A program is a defined set of activities that share the same objectives and a similar theory of change. Please share the general goal of each program, and then list the specific objectives that the program will meet. Please do not include information about your organization's operating activities in this section. You may provide information about activities like administration, staff and board training, fundraising, governance, and internal IT in another section or in a supplementary document, but please do not include these activities here as programs.
- 1. For each program, please include your targets for each of the global metrics in this table. All global metrics are required, but you may list a target of zero if there are metrics you do not expect results for. You are welcome to provide your other metrics in the detailed program section below.
Most of the headlines and structure in this application we have copied from Wikimedia Austria's application. Thank you Claudia Garád for all your help!
Program (1) # of newly registered users (2) # of active editors involved (3) # of individuals involved (4a) # of new images/media added to Wikimedia articles/pages (4b) # of new images/media uploaded (optional) (5) # of articles added or improved on Wikimedia projects (6) Absolute value of bytes added to or deleted from Wikimedia projects Community support nm 140 160 na na tbd Glam nm 100 160 tbd 30,000 tbd Academia 120 50 300 na na tbd Gender gap 30 35 70 na na 150
Table 3 notes:
- na = not applicable
- nm = not measurable
- tbd = to be determined: in these cases we expect some results that we will track during the year, but we can't provide a meaningful estimation at this point of time.
- 2. Please list your goals and objectives for each program. Please be sure your objectives meet all three criteria for each program
- Be sure the objectives listed are each SMART: specific, measurable, attainable and relevant, and include time-bound targets.
- Include both qualitative targets and quantitative targets, and remember to highlight your baseline metrics.
- Provide any additional information that is important to our understanding of this program. For example, you may include needs assessments, logic models, timelines, tables, or charts. Share how this program will contribute more broadly to movement learning, or explain how your program aligns with important Wikimedia priorities such as increasing participation and improving content on the Wikimedia projects.
- Improve Quality: By content donations from different cultural institutions in combination with community engagement.
Staff and contractors: upcoming year's annual plan edit
- 1. Please describe your organization's staffing plan or strategy here, or provide a link to your organization's staffing plan or organogram.
- 2. List of staff by department or function.
- You can use this table (or substitute your own list) to show us the number of FTEs (fulltime equivalents) for each department or function, where one person working at 100% time would be counted as 1.0. We need this information about the total number of staff (FTEs) you will have hired by the end of the current funding period, and staff you will have hired by the end of the proposed funding period.
FTEs Department or function End of current funding period End of upcoming funding period Explanation of changes Executive Director and Glam program manager 1 1 Community manager 0 0,5 This a new position. Academic program manager 0 0,3 Jorid Martinsen started working as a Academic program manager January 2016. Gender Gap program manager 0,3 0,2 In 2015 we had funding from Norway to pay for a part time position for Åsa Passche Gulbrandsen working on our Gender Gap program. Approximately 0,2 FTE for 6 months. For January 2016-July 2016 we pay Åsa hour by hour to keep our Gender gap program floating until the next funding period. Total (should equal the sum of the rows): 1,3 2
Table 4 notes or explanation of significant changes:
- Academic program manager: The Academic program builds on the experience we have from Glam on building partnerships, and Gender gap on how to organize Wikipedia trainings.
- Community manager: This will be a new position at Wikimedia Norge and will be offered as a temporary position for 1 year. In January-February 2017 we will do a survey among community members to see if this position improves community support and engagement. Dependig on the results from this survey we will determine if we will make it a permanent position from August 2017. The right candidate should be someone with knowledge of the Wikimedia projects. This position will give Wikimedia Norge the very important mix of experience from inside and outside the wiki world which we have learned from discussions with other European Wikimedia chapters can be crucial for how a chapter can give it's community support.
- Average annual earnings for a full-time position in Norway in 2014 was 503,800 NOK a year according to the state institution Statistics Norway. For the 2014 earnings there must be calculated a 3 % percentage increase as well. In addition all employers are obliged to have insurance and pension scheme for their employees. More information at Altinn. Altinn is the Norwegian public reporting portal.
- 3. How much does your organization project to spend on staff during the current funding period, or in the twelve month period before your proposed grant will start (e.g. 1 July 2015 to 30 June 2016), in currency requested and US dollars?
Wikimedia Norge project to spend:
- NOK 710,000
- US 81,596.16
- 4. How much does your organization expect to spend on staff during the proposed funding period (e.g. 1 July 2016 to 30 June 2017), in currency requested and US dollars?
Wikimedia Norge expect to spend:
- NOK 1,200,000
- US 137,909.00
Financials: upcoming year's annual plan edit
Detailed budget: upcoming year's annual plan edit
- Please link to your organization's detailed budget showing planned revenues and expenses for the upcoming funding period (e.g. 1 July 2016 to 30 June 2017). This may be a document included on this Wiki (Meta) or a publicly available spreadsheet.
- Wikimedia Norge´s budget showing planned revenues and expenses 1 July 2016 to 30 June 2017. There is also a proposal for 1. January 2016 – 31. December 2016.
- Detailed budget for expenses
Revenues: upcoming year's annual plan edit
- 1. Does your organization plan to draw on its operating reserves during the upcoming funding period to support its expenses? If so, please provide the amount you intend to draw from your reserves here. This should not be included as revenue in the table below.
- 2. Please use this table to list your organization's anticipated revenues (income, or the amount your organization is bringing in) by revenue source (where the revenue is coming from) in the upcoming funding period (e.g. 1 July 2016 to 30 June 2017). Use the status column to show if this funding is already guaranteed, if you are in the process of requesting funding, or if you are planning to request funding at a later time. Please feel free to include in-kind donations and resources in this table, as applicable, but use the status column to show that they are in-kind resources.
Anticipated revenues for the upcoming funding period Revenue source Currency requested US dollars Status (e.g. guaranteed, application) Membership fees 6,000 689.55 guaranteed Gifts from individuals 5,000 574.62 guaranteed Project and public grants 84,000 9,653.63 guaranteed. In addition 1 requested and 2 not yet requested public grants Participation fees, events 20,000 2,298.48 guaranteed APG funding 1,850,000 212,609.71 requested State funding 25,000 2,873.10 not yet requested Total revenues (should equal the sum of the rows): 1,990,000 228,699.09 -
Table 5 notes: If your organization has significant funding other than FDC funds, please note how those funds will be used.
- Diversifying of funds: The FDC has commented on this in their assessments. Last funding period Wikimedia Norge got approved funding from 3 different Norwegian foundations. In total 306,000 NOK. But 5 applications for funding have been rejected over the last 6 months. Organizations without an international affiliation tends to be prioritized. Because of this we hope we will have more success in diversifying our funds over the next year when we apply for funding together with partners. 2 applications are under review now. One benefit of applying with partners is that it's easier to rise awareness of the Wikimedia mission when we collaborate with big partners who reach other stakeholders then we do.
Operating reserves: upcoming year's annual plan edit
Please note that there is a policy that places restrictions on how much FDC funding your organization can use to build its operating reserves. If you would like to use FDC funding to for your organization's reserves, you must note that here. You will not be able to decide to allocate FDC funding from this grant to your reserves at a later date.
- 1. How much does your organization plan to have in operating reserves by the end of the current funding period?
- 2. How much does your organization plan to have in operating reserves by the end of the upcoming funding period?
- 3. If your organization plans to use FDC funding to increase your reserves in the upcoming funding period, how much FDC funding will your organization use to build reserves?
Expenses: upcoming year's annual plan edit
- 1. Expenses by program (excludes staff and operations).
- Program expenses are the costs associated specifically with your organization's programs. These costs do not include operating expenses or staff salaries, which will be described in separate tables. For example, program expenses may be the costs of an event, the costs of outreach materials specific to a program, budgets for microgrants and reimbursements, or technical costs associated with specific programs. The programs listed in this table should correspond to the programs you have listed in the programs section of this proposal form.
Program Currency requested US dollars Community support 170,000 19,537.11 Glam 40,000 4,596.97 Academia 52,000 5,976.06 Gender gap 50,000 5,746.20 Total program expenses (should equal the sum of the rows) 312,000 35,856.34
Table 6 notes: If your organization has significant funding other than FDC funds for specific programs, please make a note of that here.
- Because of in-kind contributions (from Glam partners and academia) for venues, food and drinks and prizes for online editing contests we are able to maintain low costs.
- 2. Total expenses. Please use this table to summarize your organization's total expenses overall.
- These are divided into three expenses categories: (1) staff expenses from Table 4 (including staff expenses for both staff working on programs and operations), (2) expenses for programs from Table 7 (does not include staff expenses or operations expenses), and (3) expenses for operations (does not include staff expenses or program expenses). Be sure to check the totals in this table to make sure they are consistent with the totals in the other tables you have submitted with this form. For example, your total program expenses excluding staff will be equal to the total in Table 7, while your total staff expenses will be equal to the total in Table 4 and your total expenses will be equal to the total in Table 1.
Expense type Currency requested US dollars Program expenses (total from Table 7, excludes staff) 312,000 35,856.34 Operations (excludes staff and programs) 450,000 51,715.88 Upcoming staff total expenses (from Table 4) 1,200,000 137,909.00 Amount to be added to operating reserves (if applicable) Total expenses (should equal the sum of the rows) 1,962,000 225,481.22
Table 7 notes:
Please enter "yes" or "no" for the verification below.
- The term “political or legislative activities” includes any activities relating to political campaigns or candidates (including the contribution of funds and the publication of position statements relating to political campaigns or candidates); voter registration activities; meetings with or submissions and petitions to government executives, ministers, officers or agencies on political or policy issues; and any other activities seeking government intervention or policy implementation (like “lobbying”), whether directed toward the government or the community or public at large. Grants for such activities (when permitted under U.S. law and IRS regulations) should be sought from the Wikimedia Foundation Project and Event Grants Program.
I verify that this proposal requests no funds from the Wikimedia Foundation for political or legislative activities Yes
Once this proposal is complete, please sign below with the usual four tildes.
- WMNOastrid (talk) 16:57, 1 April 2016 (UTC)
- Hogne (talk) 09:57, 4 April 2016 (UTC) (Chair of Wikimedia Norway)
Please do not make any changes to this proposal form after the proposal submission deadline for this round. If a change that is essential to an understanding of your organization's proposal is needed, please request the change on the discussion page of this form so it may be reviewed by FDC staff. Once submitted, complete and valid proposal forms submitted on time by eligible organizations will be considered unless an organization withdraws its application in writing or fails to remain eligible for the duration of the FDC process.