Grants:APG/Proposals/2015-2016 round1/Wikimedia Sverige/Proposal form
If you need to review the edit instructions you will find them in the editintro.
- Use this form if you are eligible to submit a proposal in the current round, to request funding in the current round.
- This form must be published on Meta by the proposal submission date for each round to be considered, and no changes may be made after the submission date without staff approval.
- This form complements your organization's annual plan, detailed budget, and strategic plan. It won't be considered complete without a detailed budget and strategic plan.
- Organizations may apply for a funding period that does not exactly match their fiscal years. Follow the instructions carefully to understand what time period each question refers to.
- Refer to the framework, guidance from the Board, and the FDC's recommendations before using this form, so you have an understanding of the Annual Plan Grants process.
- Please Email FDCSupport@Wikimedia.org with questions about using the form.
A few terms used in the form:
FDC proposal form terms Wikimedia terms Learning & Evaluation terms
- 1. In order to support community review, please provide a brief description of your organization's work in the upcoming funding period.
- Firstly, a quick overview of our programs and strategies.
|Wikimedia Sverige's Programs and Strategies 2016|
|The chapter shall increase the knowledge about free licenses and increase access to free resources.||The chapter shall promote the increased use of free licenses.||The chapter shall promote high confidence in and increased use of the Wikimedia projects and free knowledge.||The chapter shall promote high usability of the Wikimedia projects.||The chapter shall support active users with expertise and other resources.||The chapter shall promote an inclusive climate and low barriers of entry for new users.|
What's obvious from this overview is that we've changed the structure of our programs since the last annual plan. The previous one was based on stakeholders, and this one is based on what we want to achieve. When we analysed our previous strategies we concluded that they were somewhat duplicated across the stakeholders. This change has lead to a decrease in the number of programs, from five to three, and the number of strategies, from 14 to six. This will help us focus our programs and projects and make it easier to communicate them.
This program strives to give increased access to free knowledge. We have two strategies to achieve that, and they are sort of chronological. One part is to get resources released under a free license. The other is to get freely licensed resources added to the Wikimedia projects. We are already up and running in both GLAM and Education and will now focus on getting content available in the Wikimedia projects, both by contributions from experts and digital resources from organizations. The very large, externally funded, Preserving the Cultural Heritage project will be the main part of this program. The project will include batch uploads of images to Wikimedia Commons, adding cultural heritage data to Wikidata and improving the infrastructure for Wiki Loves Monuments. It is a collaboration with Cultural Heritage Without Borders and UNESCO. We will increase our investment in advocacy by continuing to have a volunteer in Brussels on full time and by starting to make ourselves known as a stakeholder in the issues we care about. Using our experience and material from 2015 we will attend carefully selected events and approach thought leaders, decision makers and politicians that are active in the same issues.
This program strives to increase the use and reuse of the Wikimedia projects (rather than increasing the number of users). In order to do so we aim to raise the trust in Wikipedia, make it more visible and increase the usability. For the visibility, we aim e.g. to grab the huge opportunity where the Eurovision Song Contest will be held in Sweden. With our previous experiences and contacts we made over the past years we now aim to not only be behind the scenes, but also have an active involvement in the production. To raise the trustworthiness, we will work together with other organisations and partners that both have high credibility and large reach. Here we can draw upon new organisational members like The Swedish Academy, and new recruitments to the board. In usability we will focus in developing a text-to-speech functionality for MediaWiki. We are doing a pre-study now, with external funding, and aim to get a functional prototype ready by the end of the year. As an integrated part of our work with different groups of users we will take note of the problems they experience and file bug reports for the developers.
This program strives to grow and strengthen the communities based in Sweden. We are continuing to support the communities in ways that have been successful previously, such as the technology pool, mini grants and our expertise in more technical wiki questions. With the strong indicators we have, that face-to-face meetings are good for building the community, we will continue to support these but at a larger scale. We continue to work to increase the diversity in the community, and are improving the ways we measure and plan, and since we believe it is really important, that will affect planning and reporting across the entire organisation. We also believe that adding new Wiki Loves initiatives to our suite will attract new contributors with a more diverse background.
What is really noticeable about this plan are the two larger external grants for: (1) the Preserving the cultural heritage project that we believe will get support from the Culture Foundation of the Swedish Postcode Lottery and (2) the Wikispeech project with support from the Swedish Post and Telecom Authority. We are far into the planning with them, and even though no formal decisions is finalized for any of them, the signals from the funding organizations have been very positive during our meetings. Hence, we feel we need to include them in the application. But we will be cautious and not get ahead of ourselves. By that we mean that we will not hire or scale up before we get final decisions (which we await in late 2015 or early 2016). Furthermore, we have additional applications in preparation not included in the budget.
- 2. Name, fiscal year, and funding period.
- Legal name of organization: Wikimedia Sverige
- Organization's fiscal year: 1/1-12/31
- 12-month funding period requested: 1/1/2016-12/31/2016
- Currency requested: SEK
- Name of primary contact: Jan Ainali (WMSE) (talk)
- 3. Amount requested.
|Total expenses for the upcoming year||7,568,400||894,736|
|APG funding requested for the upcoming year||2,616,000||309,264|
|Amount of funding received from WMF for the current year||2,557,000||302,289|
- 4. How does your organization know what community members / contributors to online projects need or want? Does your organization conduct needs assessments or consult the contributors and volunteers most involved with its work?
We have conducted a series of consultations. We started in May by personally inviting active community members to answer a survey about our annual plans and strategy. We also made a wider survey to all our members in the chapter (there is a huge overlap with chapter members and active users in the community). This input was taken into the board's strategy review process. In addition to that we invited to a meeting where a lot of ideas were collected that has guided the entire planning process.
- 5. Please provide a link to your organization's strategic plan and separate annual plans for the current and/or proposed funding period, if you have them. A strategic plan is required.
Financials: current funding periodEdit
The purpose of this section is to give the FDC an idea of how your organization is receiving funds and spending funds toward your current plan. Your current funding period is the funding period now in progress (e.g. 1 January 2015 to 31 December 2015 for most organizations). For organizations new to the APG process, your current funding period is the 12 months before your upcoming funding period (e.g. 1 January 2015 to 31 December 2015 for most organizations).
Financials for the current funding period Revenues or expenses Planned (budgeted) Actual, until one month before the proposal due date Projected Currency requested US dollars Currency requested US dollars Currency requested US dollars Revenues (from all sources) 5,115,000 604,695 2,872,0001 339,528 4,380,000 517,804 Expenses 5,115,000 604,695 2,822,0001 333,617 4,380,000 517,804
Table 2 notes:
- The actuals includes some estimates of quarterly periodicals and may thus vary a little.
- The reason that the projection both for revenues and spending is lower than the budget is that external fundraising has been lower than expected. To balance this, we have not hired in the pace we predicted.
- In the period 2015-01-01 to 2015-06-30, 55% of revenues are non-FDC.
Programs: upcoming year's annual planEdit
This section is about your organization's programs. A program is a defined set of activities that share the same objectives and a similar theory of change. Please share the general goal of each program, and then list the specific objectives that the program will meet. Please do not include information about your organization's operating activities in this section. You may provide information about activities like administration, staff and board training, fundraising, governance, and internal IT in another section or in a supplementary document, but please do not include these activities here as programs.
- 1. For each program, please include your targets for each of the global metrics in this table. All global metrics are required, but you may list a target of zero if there are metrics you do not expect results for. You are welcome to provide your other metrics in the detailed program section below.
Since we are really trying to focus on diversity and closing the gender gap, we have started to gather gender disaggregated statistics for all our activities. Due to that, we also feel it is important to have that in mind in our planning and that is why we have chosen to replace the standard table with a more detailed one.
|(1) # of newly registered users||(2) # of active editors involved||(3) # of individuals involved||(4a) # of new images/media added to Wikimedia articles/pages||(4b) # of new images/media uploaded (optional)||(5) # of articles added or improved on Wikimedia projects||(6) Absolute value of bytes added to or deleted from Wikimedia projects|
|Men||Women||Other gender identity||Total||Men||Women||Other gender identity||Total||Men||Women||Other gender identity||Total|
Table 3 notes: What really stands out here is Bytes added in Access. This is because we within the Preserving the Cultural Heritage project expect to import most of the Wiki Loves Monuments database to Wikidata.
- 2. Please list your goals and objectives for each program. Please be sure your objectives meet all three criteria for each program
- Be sure the objectives listed are each SMART: specific, measurable, attainable and relevant, and include time-bound targets.
- Include both qualitative targets and quantitative targets, and remember to highlight your baseline metrics.
- Provide any additional information that is important to our understanding of this program. For example, you may include needs assessments, logic models, timelines, tables, or charts. Share how this program will contribute more broadly to movement learning, or explain how your program aligns with important Wikimedia priorities such as increasing participation and improving content on the Wikimedia projects.
Staff and contractors: upcoming year's annual planEdit
- 1. Please describe your organization's staffing plan or strategy here, or provide a link to your organization's staffing plan or organogram.
We have a few guiding principles in addition to our plan and strategy. One very important is to only hire people after funding has been secured. That means that we are in control over spending even if we are not getting external funds in the pace we predicted. Besides that, we value a mix of people from the community and professionals with another background. As of now we have 4 persons out of 7 who has a long time community background. We also strive for diversity in the staff and of the 7 employees 3 are women and 4 are men. Since we are very few employees, and since it rhymes very well with Swedish traditions, we are having a very flat organisation.
- 2. List of staff by department or function.
- You can use this table (or substitute your own list) to show us the number of FTEs (fulltime equivalents) for each department or function, where one person working at 100% time would be counted as 1.0. We need this information about the total number of staff (FTEs) you will have hired by the end of the current funding period, and staff you will have hired by the end of the proposed funding period.
FTEs Department or function End of current funding period End of upcoming funding period Explanation of changes Executive director 1 1 Financial administrator 0.5 0.5 Communications officer 1 1 Project managers 3.5 5 Increase is pending the external grants. Developers 0.5 2 Increase is pending the external grants. Total (should equal the sum of the rows): 6.5 9.5
Table 4 notes or explanation of significant changes:
- The communications officer is a new role for 2015, and started on full time in August.
- With the very probable upcoming external grants regarding Wikispeech and Preserving the cultural heritage, we will need to hire more developers. We will also need to expand with a project manager. However any growth is completely pending and decided on success in external funding.
- 3. How much does your organization project to spend on staff during the current funding period, or in the twelve month period before your proposed grant will start (e.g. 1 January 2016 to 31 December 2016), in currency requested and US dollars?
2,909,000 SEK ≈ USD 343,924, whereof 41% externally funded.
- 4. How much does your organization expect to spend on staff during the proposed funding period (e.g. 1 January 2016 to 31 December 2016), in currency requested and US dollars?
4,737,950 SEK ≈ USD 560,120, this is an upper limit, depending on external funding.
Financials: upcoming year's annual planEdit
Detailed budget: upcoming year's annual planEdit
- Please link to your organization's detailed budget showing planned revenues and expenses for the upcoming funding period (e.g. 1 January 2016 to 31 December 2016). This may be a document included on this Wiki (Meta) or a publicly available spreadsheet.
- Detailed budget (also includes detailed GlobalMetrics planning and distribution of our own metrics)
Revenues: upcoming year's annual planEdit
- 1. Does your organization plan to draw on its operating reserves during the upcoming funding period to support its expenses? If so, please provide the amount you intend to draw from your reserves here. This should not be included as revenue in the table below.
- 2. Please use this table to list your organization's anticipated revenues (income, or the amount your organization is bringing in) by revenue source (where the revenue is coming from) in the upcoming funding period (e.g. 1 January 2016 to 31 December 2016). Use the status column to show if this funding is already guaranteed, if you are in the process of requesting funding, or if you are planning to request funding at a later time. Please feel free to include in-kind donations and resources in this table, as applicable, but use the status column to show that they are in-kind resources.
Anticipated revenues for the upcoming funding period Revenue source Currency requested US dollars Status (e.g. guaranteed, application) Membership fees 100,000 11,822 Estimated. Donations 80,000 9,458 Estimated. Interest, misc 15,000 1,773 Estimated. FDC 2,616,000 309,264 Requested. Swedish Agency for Youth and Civil Society 219,000 25,890 Guaranteed, ongoing project 2015-2016. Swedish Civil Contingencies Agency 137,500 16,255 Guaranteed, ongoing project 2015-2016. Swedish Post and Telecom Authority 1,000,000 118,220 We are currently conducting a pre-study funded by the Swedish Post and Telecom Authority (300,000 SEK ≈ USD 35,466). If it is successful the project will continue into a larger scale. The Culture Foundation of the Swedish Postcode Lottery 3,374,900 398,981 We are in a negotiation process, detailing the project together with the foundation until end of November. The Royal Armoury 16,000 1,892 Most likely, annual funding for a couple of years now. Bobitek AB 10,000 1,182 Guaranteed, ongoing project 2015-2016. Total revenues (should equal the sum of the rows): 7,568,400 894,736 -
Table 5 notes: If your organization has significant funding other than FDC funds, please note how those funds will be used.
- In general, the FDC funding is used for high-priority projects as well as our core operation.
- The two significant fundings outside FDC are from The Culture Foundation of the Swedish Postcode Lottery and The Swedish Post and Telecom Authority. The first mentioned will be used in the Preserving the Cultural Heritage project as described above. This is a continuation and adoption of the work we have done in the cultural sector and with open data previously and where we have a lot of experience and know what is needed. The second one will be used in the Wikispeech project which is projected to continue into 2017.
This is a significant increase in revenues which is a great opportunity for us now, and we think it could be a really good boost for the chapter in order to be seen in very positive contexts, which in turn might lead to other good opportunities in the future. As we have known about these opportunities and worked towards them for nearly a year we have been able to prepare and plan for this increase of staff and finances. As we already have had staff for a few years we already have all the practical things in place to be able to handle the work associated with this increase.
- We also have several other grants planned as backup, where we are well prepared and also have a high chance in securing substantial funding. That means that we are not totally dependent on the two mentioned applications above.
- This is the upper limit we will go for in 2016. We will rather negotiate the time spans for the grants than grow further and rather become more sustainable over time. This maximum growth is at a level we can handle with our current infrastructure and office space.
Operating reserves: upcoming year's annual planEdit
Please note that there is a policy that places restrictions on how much FDC funding your organization can use to build its operating reserves. If you would like to use FDC funding to for your organization's reserves, you must note that here. You will not be able to decide to allocate FDC funding from this grant to your reserves at a later date.
- 1. How much does your organization plan to have in operating reserves by the end of the current funding period?
- 720,000 SEK ≈ USD 85,118
- 2. How much does your organization plan to have in operating reserves by the end of the upcoming funding period?
- 920,000 SEK ≈ USD 108,762
- 3. If your organization plans to use FDC funding to increase your reserves in the upcoming funding period, how much FDC funding will your organization use to build reserves?
- 100,000 SEK ≈ USD 11,822
Expenses: upcoming year's annual planEdit
- 1. Expenses by program (excludes staff and operations).
- Program expenses are the costs associated specifically with your organization's programs. These costs do not include operating expenses or staff salaries, which will be described in separate tables. For example, program expenses may be the costs of an event, the costs of outreach materials specific to a program, budgets for microgrants and reimbursements, or technical costs associated with specific programs. The programs listed in this table should correspond to the programs you have listed in the programs section of this proposal form.
|Program||Currency requested||US dollars|
|Total program expenses (should equal the sum of the rows)||1,880,100||222,265|
Table 6 notes: If your organization has significant funding other than FDC funds for specific programs, please make a note of that here.
- For Access, 1,057,500 SEK are from external funds.
- For Use, 300,000 SEK are from external funds.
- For Community, 51,000 SEK are from external funds.
- 2. Total expenses. Please use this table to summarize your organization's total expenses overall.
- These are divided into three expenses categories: (1) staff expenses from Table 4 (including staff expenses for both staff working on programs and operations), (2) expenses for programs from Table 7 (does not include staff expenses or operations expenses), and (3) expenses for operations (does not include staff expenses or program expenses). Be sure to check the totals in this table to make sure they are consistent with the totals in the other tables you have submitted with this form. For example, your total program expenses excluding staff will be equal to the total in Table 7, while your total staff expenses will be equal to the total in Table 4 and your total expenses will be equal to the total in Table 1.
Expense type Currency requested US dollars Program expenses (total from Table 7, excludes staff) 1,880,100 222,265 Operations (excludes staff and programs) 750,350 88,706 Upcoming staff total expenses (from Table 4) 4,737,950 560,120 Amount to be added to operating reserves (if applicable) 200,000 23,644 Total expenses (should equal the sum of the rows) 7,568,400 894,736
Table 7 notes:
Please enter "yes" or "no" for the verification below.
- The term “political or legislative activities” includes any activities relating to political campaigns or candidates (including the contribution of funds and the publication of position statements relating to political campaigns or candidates); voter registration activities; meetings with or submissions and petitions to government executives, ministers, officers or agencies on political or policy issues; and any other activities seeking government intervention or policy implementation (like “lobbying”), whether directed toward the government or the community or public at large. Grants for such activities (when permitted under U.S. law and IRS regulations) should be sought from the [[:Special:MyLanguage/<tvar|link>Grants:PEG</>]] .
I verify that this proposal requests no funds from the Wikimedia Foundation for political or legislative activities Yes
Once this proposal is complete, please sign below with the usual four tildes.
Please do not make any changes to this proposal form after the proposal submission deadline for this round. If a change that is essential to an understanding of your organization's proposal is needed, please request the change on the discussion page of this form so it may be reviewed by FDC staff. Once submitted, complete and valid proposal forms submitted on time by eligible organizations will be considered unless an organization withdraws its application in writing or fails to remain eligible for the duration of the FDC process.