Grants:APG/Proposals/2014-2015 round1/Wikimedia Nederland/Proposal form
Community review has ended. You are still welcome to comment on these proposals, but the FDC and the applicants may not be able to respond to your feedback or consider it during the deliberations.
Please do not edit this proposal form directly. If changes are needed, applicants can request them on the proposal form's discussion page. Thank you!
If you need to review the edit instructions you will find them in the editintro.
Eligible organizations may complete this form to request an Annual Plan Grant from the Funds Dissemination Committee (FDC) in the current round. This complete proposal form must be published in English on Meta by the proposal submission date for each round for your organization's application to be considered. No changes should be made to this proposal form and supplementary documents after these proposal submission date without written approval from FDC staff, and any proposal forms created will be considered 'submitted' after the proposal submission deadline unless the applying organization withdraws the application in writing.
The purpose of this document is to provide the FDC with an overview of your organization's annual plan, the alignment of the plan with the Wikimedia movement’s strategic priorities, and the potential impact of the plan. This proposal should complement any annual planning documents your organization may have such as your organization's annual plan and strategic plan: please complete all fields and add links to supporting documents where relevant. If any documents are submitted in draft form (e.g. an annual plan that has not yet been approved by the organization's General Assembly), please link to the final version of the document once it has been approved, even if it is approved after the deadline. If you are a representative of the applicant organization, you may request permission to add information to this proposal form on the proposal form discussion page. All requested changes will be reviewed by FDC staff.
Please review the documents describing the Annual Plan Grants process, including the FDC Framework, Guidancefor the FDC from the Board, and the FDC's past funding recommendations: FDC recommendations. These documents include critical information for applicants.
If you have any questions about the form, please contact FDCSupport@Wikimedia.org. If you have general suggestions or comments about the form itself, please leave them on the discussion page for this form.
A few terms used in the form:
- 1. In order to support community review, please provide a brief description of your organization's work in the upcoming year that can be used as a summary of your proposal. (This should be about 200 words, and should be easy for anyone to understand.)
In 2015, WMNL continue to support the online community and work to improve the content of the Wikimedia projects.
We will provide concrete, practical support to editors, reaching out in particular to the communities working on the smaller sister projects (i.e.not Wikipedia or Wikimedia Commons). And we are going to support community efforts to improve the working atmosphere on the Wikimedia projects, by providing training and coaching.
The topics 'Nature' and the 'Second World War' are the focus for online and offline activities for a second year. We have found that this focus creates synergy in our work aimed at improving content and bringing in new editors. We will also support community initiatives aiming to remedy the fact that Wikipedia is particularly strong in providing information on topics that are traditionally considered important by men. A highlight in our 2015 calendar will undoubtedly be the international GLAM Wiki conference that we will organize in April 2015.
In 2014 we did a feasibility study into developing an education programme. In 2015 we will do a number of pilot projects to determine whether cooperation with higher education can become a permanent element in our workplan for the future.
To provide the best service to the movement, we will survey members, editors and the general public to get insight into understanding, attitudes, and expectations. The results will provide a framework for communication activities and strategy development for the coming years.
- 2. Contact information.
- Legal name of organization: Vereniging Wikimedia Nederland
- Organization's fiscal year (mm/dd–mm/dd): 01/01-12/31
- 12-month funding period requested (mm/dd/yy–mm/dd/yy): 01/01/15-12/31/15
- Primary contact name and position in organization: Sandra Rientjes, Executive Director
- Primary contact username or Email: email@example.com
- Secondary contact name and position in organization: Jan Anton Brouwer, Treasurer
- Secondary contact username or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- 3. Amount requested.
|Currency requested ()||US$ ()|
|Total annual expenses of organization||€ 449,994||$ 590,842|
|Amount requested from the FDC for the upcoming year's annual plan|
|Amount to be raised from non-FDC sources (total from Table 5)|
|Amount to be drawn from reserves for the upcoming year's annual plan||0||0|
|Amount of FDC funds allocated for the current year's annual plan||€ 304,000||$ 399,152|
- 4. What is your organization's proposed rate of growth in total budget since last year? Please explain your organization's rationale if your proposed budget will increase this year.
- In total, we propose a growth in total budget of 20%, a considerable growth which requires some explanation.
Our expected expenditure over 2014 is €373,344. For 2015 we have budgetted € 449,994. This large growth is a result of the fact that WMNL has offered to organise the international GLAM-Wiki 2015 event in April 2015. We budgeted this event at €40,000. (details are explained under Programme 2, item 3.2) This is a one-off event and will not affect our proposed long-term growth rate. If GLAM-Wiki 2015 is not taken into account, our growth rate is 9.6%.
This section provides the FDC an overview of your organization's work with volunteers and online contributors.
- 1. Which Wikimedia community or communities does your organization work with most closely, and which online Wikimedia project or projects does your organization's work support?
- WMNL works with the communities working on Dutch language versions of the Wikimedia projects, as well as with editors based in the Netherlands who edit other language versions. Over the past years, we have mainly supported Wikipedia and Wikimedia Commons, and to a much lesser extent WikiWoordenboek (Wiktionary) and WikiSource.
- 2. How does your organization know what community members / contributors to online projects need or want? Does your organization conduct needs assessments? How else does your organization consult the contributors and volunteers most involved with its work?
- WMNL carries out two-yearly surveys among the community to assess expectations and needs. The most recent survey was carried out in Q1 2013. We plan to repeat it in 2015.
- In addition, we consult the community in developing our workplan. This includes brainstorming sessions on the best way WMNL can support the editors (links to various stages of the process are provided in table 2).
Organization planning and reportsEdit
Please provide links to your organization’s planning documents and reports. All of these documents are required unless otherwise indicated.
Your organization's strategic planning documents, past reports, and current annual planning documents, are essential to our understanding of your organization's proposal. If you think you will have difficulty submitting any of these documents with your organization's proposal form by the proposal submission deadline, you should contact FDC staff right away. You may also provide notes to this table here, as well as links to any supplementary documents to this proposal form.
Completed fiscal year Current year Upcoming year Annual plan (including budget) Summary annual plan 2013 (in Dutch) Full text annual plan 2013 (in Dutch) Annual plan 2014 (in Dutch) Annual plan 2015, In Dutch. Annual plan 2015 English translation Community discussion around annual plan On wiki discussions annual plan 2013 Minutes AGM September 23 2012 On wiki discussions annual plan 2014 Minutes AGM September 21 2013 On wiki discussions annual plan 2015 Archived discussions Discussion in De Kroeg (village pump) Discussion Wiki page AGM 20092015 (Draft) minutes AGM September 20, 2014 Annual report (including financial report) Annual report 2013 English version. Not required. Not required. Strategic plan Strategy 2013-2015 in English see previous see previous
Table 2 notes:
Financials: year-to-date progressEdit
The purpose of this section is to give the FDC an idea of how your organization is spending on your current grant, or during your current annual plan. The period defined as year-to-date should be the start date of your fiscal year you defined in Contact information, until 1 September 2014. Your projected amount should be the amount your organization expects to spend by the end of the current fiscal year you defined in Contact information.
Current funding period planned / budgeted Year-to-date funding period actuals Projected end of current funding period In currency requested In $US In currency requested In $US In currency requested In $US Revenues (from all sources) € 356,068 $ 467,517 € 375,621 $ 493,190 € 376,000 $ 493,688 Expenses € 356,068 $ 467,517 € 220,934 $ 290,086 € 373,344 $ 490,201
Table 3 notes:
Programs: upcoming year's annual planEdit
This section is about your organization's programs. A program is a group of activities that share the same objectives. Please do not include information about your organization's operating activities in this section. You are welcome to provide information about activities like administration, staff and board training, fundraising, governance, and internal IT in another section of this proposal form or in a supplementary document. Please answer all four questions for each program.
Community and participation
Communication and publicity
Staff and contractors: upcoming year's annual planEdit
- 1. Please describe your organization's staffing plan or strategy here, or provide a link to your organization's staffing plan or organogram.
- 2. List of staff by department or function.
- Numbers for current staff should include staff your organization has hired or plans to hire in this current funding period, and proposed staff should include staff your organization will hire in the upcoming funding period. You should include both permanent staff and longterm contractors in this table and list the number of fulltime equivalents, where one fulltime staff person would be 1.0 (for example, if your organization has 2 part-time staff working at 50% each in a department then you would list the number of fulltime equivalents (FTEs) as 1.0, while if your organization has 1 full-time staff person working at 100% then you would also list the number of fulltime equivalents as 1.0).
Department or function FTEs by end of current year FTEs by end of upcoming year Explanation of changes Executive Director 0.9 0.9 project coordinator 0.5 1 increase of activities with external partners and higher demands concerning project monitoring and evaluation communication and community support 1.4 1.4 Finance and office management 0.6 0.6 Total (should equal the sum of the rows): 3.4 3.9 Total staff expenses (currency requested) € 159,628 € 201,094 introduction of pensionscheme and 0.5 fte growth Total staff expenses ($US) $ 209,591 $ 264,036
Table 4 notes:
- 3. Did your organization made any significant changes to your staffing plan since publishing your organization's most current annual plan at the beginning of the funding period, such as hiring more or fewer staff than planned or hiring staff on a different schedule than planned? Please describe any significant changes here.
- 4. What overall percentage of staff time is spent directly on programs?
- 70%. In this calculation all work related to the APG-process is seen as 'overhead' and included in the category Governance and Organisation. (The distribution of staff time over programmes is given in the table below)
|Programme||Staff hours allocated|
|Community and Participation||1402|
|Governance and organisation||2091|
Financials: upcoming year's annual planEdit
Detailed budget: upcoming year's annual planEdit
- Please link to your organization's detailed budget. This may be a document included on this Wiki (Meta) or as a publicly available spreadsheet.
Revenues: upcoming year's annual planEdit
Please use this table to list your organization's anticipated revenues by revenue source in the upcoming year. Use the status column to indicate if this funding is guaranteed, whether you are in the process of requesting funding, or whether you are planning to request funding later. Please feel free to include in-kind donations and resources, as applicable.
Anticipated revenues for the upcoming funding period Revenue source Currency requested US dollars Status (e.g. guaranteed, application) APG € 380,000 $ 498,940 Local Project funding/subsidies € 50,000 $ 65,650 to be requested Membership fees and Donations € 20.00020,000 $ 26,260 Total revenues (should equal the sum of the rows): € 450,000 $ 590,850 -
Table 5 notes: If your organization has significant funding other than FDC funds, please note how those funds will be used.
WMNL will apply for project grants for activities concerning content generation (World War II and Nature), the education programme and GLAM Wiki 2015. We have identified funding sources: V-fonds for World War II, Prins Bernhard Cultuurfonds for Nature and education. The application has not yet started; as these are relatively small grant the process will not be very time-consuming. For GLAM Wiki 2015 we have been approached by a potential donor.
Operating reserves: upcoming year's annual planEdit
Please use this table to report information about your organization's planned operating reserves. Since this information is included here, you should not include it as part of your planned program or operational expenses. There are some restrictions about how much FDC funding your organization can use to build up your reserves.
Local currency $US Total anticipated amount in operating reserves (by the end of the current fiscal year) € 186,000 $ 244,218 Total existing reserves from the current year to be carried over as reserves in the upcoming year € 186,000 $ 244,218 Total to be added to reserves in the upcoming year (excluding FDC funding) 0 0 Total to be added to reserves in the upcoming year from FDC funding only 0 0 Total planned reserves in the upcoming year (should equal the sum of the rows except the first): € 186,000 $ 244,218
Table 6 notes:
Expenses: upcoming year's annual planEdit
- 1. Expenses by program (excludes staff and operations).
- Program expenses are the costs associated specifically with your organization's programs. These costs do not include operating expenses or staff salaries, which will be described in separate tables. For example, program expenses may be the costs of an event, the costs of outreach materials specific to a program, budgets for microgrants and reimbursements, or technical costs associated with specific programs. The programs listed in this table should correspond to the programs you have listed in the programs section of this proposal form.
Program / initiative In currency requested In $US Community and Participation € 61,000 $ 80,093 Content € 82,500 $ 108,323 Communication € 23,500 $ 30,856 Total program expenses (should equal the sum of the rows) € 167,000 $ 219,271
Table 7 notes: If your organization has significant funding other than FDC funds, please note how those funds will be used.
- We will note the funds obtained through contributions and donations to fund activities related to our 'association-related' events such as the AGM. We will also use these to fund our involvement in the Brussels advocacy group.
Local projectfunding is related to speficic activities from programme 1 and 2.
- 2. Total expenses. Please use this table to summarize your organization's total expenses overall.
- These are divided into three expenses categories: (1) staff expenses from Table 4 (including staff expenses for both staff working on programs and operations), (2) expenses for programs from Table 7 (does not include staff expenses or operations expenses), and (3) expenses for operations (does not include staff expenses or program expenses). Be sure to check the totals in this table to make sure they are consistent with the totals in the other tables you have submitted with this form. For example, your total program expenses excluding staff will be equal to the total in Table 7, while your total staff expenses will be equal to the total in Table 4 and your total expenses will be equal to the total in Table 1.
Expense type In currency requested In $US Program expenses (total from Table 7, excludes staff) € 167,000 $ 219,271 Operations (excludes staff and programs) € 81,900 $ 107,535 Upcoming staff total expenses (from Table 4) € 201,094 $ 264,036 Amount to be added to reserves in the upcoming year (from Table 6) 0 0 Total expenses (should equal the sum of the rows) € 449,994 $ 590,842
Table 8 notes:
- As mentioned earlier: the growth in expenditure compared to 2014 is a result of the fact that WMNL has offered to organise the international GLAM-Wiki 2015 event in April 2015, budgeted at €40,000. This is a one-off event and will not affect our proposed long-term growth rate.
OPTIONAL: Multi-year funding pilot programEdit
DESCRIPTION SUBJECT TO CHANGE: During 2014-2015 Round 1 we will be launching a multi-year funding pilot program where APG applicants can request a two-year funding commitment from the FDC. Participating organizations will provide the FDC with information about milestones for two-year programs during the next year's proposal cycle (2015-2016 Round 1), as well as with their annual plans and budgets for the second year.
Not all organizations will be participating in this program since it is a pilot, and a list of organizations eligible to apply for multi-year funding will be announced soon. This section is included in the current version of the proposal form, to ensure that it is available to any organizations that might need it if they are participating in the pilot. Please do not complete this section unless you know your organization is eligible to participate in this pilot program.
- 1. Will your organization be seeking a two-year funding commitment from the FDC during this proposal cycle?
- Not now. The current WMNL multi-year strategy ends 2015. In 2015, we wil develop a strategy for 2016-2019. WMNL could consider applying for two-year funding next year, when the new strategy is in place.
- 2. Please use this table to show which programs you will continue over a two-year period and list some milestones that you would like to report on after the first 8 months of your programs (to be achieved by 1 September 2015)
- DESCRIPTION SUBJECT TO CHANGE: As part of this pilot program, your organization will be asked to report on milestones reached by 1 September 2015 for your two-year programs by 1 October 2015. This information will be reviewed by the FDC during the 2015-2016 Round 1 proposal cycle, along with your annual plan and budget for the second year of funding, after which the second year of funding will be released by the FDC.
Program name Start date Completion date Milestones (by 1 September 2015) Notes 1 2 3 4 5
Table 9 notes:
The FDC or FDC staff may reach out to you for more information about your two-year plans as part of this pilot program, or may need to make changes to this section of the proposal form based on early learnings from this pilot. Participating organizations, please bear with us.
Verification that this proposal requests no funds from the Wikimedia Foundation for political or legislative activitiesEdit
Please enter "yes" or "no" for the verification below.
- The term “political or legislative activities” includes any activities relating to political campaigns or candidates (including the contribution of funds and the publication of position statements relating to political campaigns or candidates); voter registration activities; meetings with or submissions and petitions to government executives, ministers, officers or agencies on political or policy issues; and any other activities seeking government intervention or policy implementation (like “lobbying”), whether directed toward the government or the community or public at large. Grants for such activities (when permitted under U.S. law and IRS regulations) should be sought from the [[Special:MyLanguage/<tvar|link>Grants:PEG</>]].
I verify that this proposal requests no funds from the Wikimedia Foundation for political or legislative activities Yes
Once this proposal is complete, please sign below with the usual four tildes.
Please do not make any changes to this proposal form after the proposal submission deadline for this round. If a change that is essential to an understanding of your organization's proposal is needed, please request the change on the discussion page of this form so it may be reviewed by FDC staff. Once submitted, complete and valid proposal forms submitted on time by eligible organizations will be considered unless an organization withdraws its application in writing.