Global data og indsigtsholdet
Our vision is to foster a culture of data-informed decision-making and reflection so the Foundation and Wikimedia Movement are equipped to create the change they seek.
Who are we?
The Global Data & Insights (GDI) team uses data to empower the Wikimedia Foundation and Movement with the information and insights they need to advance our strategic direction. We conduct primary data collection through community surveys, gather metrics from across Foundation teams and products, and integrate external datasets from international organizations (e.g., World Bank, United Nations, International Monetary Fund, etc.) to support data-informed decision making. We share lessons learned from this data and enable access to curated datasets to help our Movement to learn, evaluate, iterate, and adapt our collective efforts to match the needs of the world around us.
Our team includes researchers, analysts, evaluators, and data engineers experienced in applied quantitative and qualitative analysis: Sumeet Bodington (Director), Christina Macholan (Manager), Tanja Anđić, Jaime Anstee, Yu-Ming Liou, Caroline Myrick, Hiba Sha’ath, Krishna Chaitanya Velaga, …and others!
What do we do?
Our team gathers and reports data and insights about Movement activity so that communities and movement actors are empowered to make informed decisions about driving effective change towards our shared 2030 aims for Wikimedia and free knowledge.
Movement data & insights
Our current projects are related to measuring Movement trends, demographics, feelings of safety, and development:
- Equity Landscape – Providing easily accessible data on inequities within the world and our movement, this project compiles key signal metrics to internal and external data stores and presents annual data about the Wikimedia Movement’s engagement and growth in a public-facing dashboard.
- Community Insights Survey – Annual survey of our global communities, measuring key indicators and demographics across the Wikimedia Movement.
- Community Safety Survey – Quarterly survey measuring feelings of safety across time on 5+ wikis.
- Wikimedia Affiliate Data Portal (WADP) – A central place for Wikimedia chapters, thematic organizations, and user groups to add reports about their activities, and share their plans and news with the wider movement.
Foundation data & insights
Our team collects and analyzes data to help evaluate the effectiveness and equity of Foundation programs and events. We report our findings to Foundation staff and provide Foundation leaders with insights to shape planning and funding decisions.
Culture of learning
The GDI team supports processes, tools, and capabilities for learning and evaluation by generating evaluation best practices, growing a Foundation evaluation community of practice, and directing technical support for data learning and engagement in partnership with Foundation teams and departments.
What can we help with?
While our support most generally is limited to light consultancy, we might be able to assist members of the Movement with questions related to:
- Affiliates data
- Community Insights
- Data tools and metrics
- Evaluation strategy
- Global Landscape data
- Survey design and analysis