Free Knowledge Advocacy Group EU
Feedback on measures to further improve the effectiveness of the fight against illegal content online
Purpose of the FeedbackEdit
Inception feedback assessment on how the illegal content should be tackled. Inception impact assessments describe the scope, purpose and timing of new laws and policies. They also set out plans for evaluations of existing laws or ‘fitness checks’ of multiple laws.
Possible measures could be taken in Q4 2018. At the same time the European Commission warrants that "The Inception Impact Assessment is provided for information purposes only. It does not prejudge the final decision of the Commission on whether this initiative will be pursued or on its final content. All elements of the initiative described by the Inception impact assessment, including its timing, are subject to change."
Feedback period: 2 March 2018 - 30 March 2018 (Commission Deadline) - please share your comments before March 23rd below.
Previous EU positioning by WikimediaEdit
Consultation Answers & Position Papers
How can you contribute?Edit
- Read the inception impact assessment.
- Share your suggestions on feedback on this page under a relevant section below.
Inception feedback assessment on tackling illegal content online - contents:Edit
A. Context, Problem definition and Subsidiarity CheckEdit
- The need for faster and more effective detection and removal of illegal content
- Need to avoid that legal content is erroneously taken down
- Need for transparency and sufficient reporting
- In addition, the IA will analyse the evolving legal fragmentation in the field of notice-and-action procedures that risks harming the Digital Single Market and reducing the effectiveness of the fight against illegal content
B. Objectives and Policy optionsEdit
- Baseline option: Comprehensive actions supporting online platforms combined with monitoring of the effects given to the Recommendation by Member States and online platforms and of the results under voluntary dialogues.
- Option 1: Sector-specific legislation(s) on certain type(s) of illegal content, in particular terrorist content
- Option 2: Horizontal legislation addressing targeted issues
C. Preliminary Assessment of Expected ImpactsEdit
- Likely economic impacts
- Likely social impacts
- Likely environmental impacts
- Likely impacts on fundamental rights
- Likely impacts on simplification and/or administrative burden
D. Evidence Base, Data collection and Better Regulation InstrumentsEdit
- Impact assessment
- Evidence base and data collection
- Consultation of citizens and stakeholders
- Will an Implementation plan be established?