EU policy/Big Fat Brussels Meeting Vol. 2
Big Fat Brussels Meeting Vol. 2 on the 24 and 25 of April in Brussels
After last year's productive and fun meet-up we want to once more summon interested Wikimedians and like-minded friends to Brussels to discuss, draft and decide the future of our advocacy efforts on the EU level and the general organisational development of the Free Knowledge Advocacy Group EU.
Constant Variable @ Open House
Rue Gallait 80, 1030 Schaerbeek
To celebrate the World Book and Copyright Day Wikimedia and UNESCO will co-organise a discussion event on Cultural Heritage and Mass Digitalisation to take place on the 24th of April (Thursday). We will schedule our programme around this event so we can all participate.
Preliminary Discussion PointsEdit
(Feel free to add anything!)
- Review of past year's events (Copyright consultation, Statement of Intent, PD&OL Study)
- What can we expect during the coming 12 months?
- Do we need to focus on more topics? (i.e. expand the three goals stated)
- Including Open Access as a priority
- Feedback from chapters for Wikimedian in Brussels
- How to best answer consultations and write position papers?
- Ideas for events in the next 12 months (e.g. OER event in the Parliament)
- Future of the FKAGEU - organisation and funding
- WMUK experience of advocacy
- Capacity building meetings across the EU
Please add your name here if you are going to participate and a preferred method of contacting you if not known to Dimi (i.e. email, user talk page):
- Hell yeah, let's roll! --Jan Engelmann (WMDE) (talk) 10:43, 14 March 2014 (UTC)
- Romaine (talk) 17:32, 14 March 2014 (UTC)
- Laurentius (talk) 09:47, 16 March 2014 (UTC)
- Jan W. (Brussels local)
- I'm most likely to be there, and looking forward to it very much. Stevie Benton (WMUK) (talk) 13:41, 19 March 2014 (UTC)
- Jensbest (talk) 09:51, 21 March 2014 (UTC)
- Looking forward to it! John Andersson (WMSE) (talk) 10:07, 1 April 2014 (UTC)
- Lilli Iliev (WMDE) (talk) 14:13, 7 April 2014 (UTC)
- Hubertl (talk) 14:48, 14 April 2014 (UTC)
- Luuletaja (talk) 20:44, 15 April 2014 (UTC)
- Hauke [Let's Rock! - Germany]
- Grijz (talk) 09:01, 17 April 2014 (UTC) (Thursday only)
- StagiaireMGIMO (talk) 12:53, 22 April 2014 (UTC)
- [[:|Wendy the Weasel]]
Wednesday - 23rd of April
From 18:30 at "A La Morte Subite"
Rue Montagne aux Herbes Potagères 7 (close to Gare Centrale)
Thursday - 24th of April
- Morning session (@ Open House)
|Politics, policy issues & goals|
|8:30||Walk-in, coffee (croissants and bananas for everyone!)|
|9:00||Welcome words, organisational details|
|9:30||Update on what happened in Brussels and what is to be expected in the coming year?|
|10:00||Our current priorities (Statement of Intent). & Do we need to include Open Access?|
|11:00||Feedback from chapters for Wikimedian in Brussels/FKAGEU? What do you need?|
|12:00||Lunch break and relocating to afternoon event|
|13:30 - 16:30||Afternoon event "Cultural Heritage and Mass Digitalisation" (followed by a cocktail reception)|
|evening||#npbbxl - Net Politics Beer Brussels|
Friday - 25th of April
(all @ Open House)
|Action, action, action|
|10:00||Walk-in, coffee (croissants and bananas for everyone!)|
|10:30||How to best answer consultations and write-up position papers?|
|11:30||Toolbox 1: WMUK experience of advocacy|
|12:30||Toolbox 2: Other ideas for events in the next 12 months (e.g. OER event in the Parliament, Copyright4MEPs brochure, FoP Studies, networking meetings, visiting resident position)|
|14:30||Future of the FKAGEU - organisation and funding|
|15:30||Conclusion, open end (depending on travelling times)|
- The minutes of the meeting will be gathered live and on-the-spot on etherpad. Please help generate this document by adding your name.
- Impressions of the gathering can be found here: Commons:Category:Big Fat Brussels Meeting April 2014.
The cheapest way to get around, except for walking or biking, is by public transportation. The buses, trams and subway lines in the region of Brussels are operated by STIB/MIVB. To plan journeys you can simply use Google maps as they have the public transport connections integrated. Here's are the connections airport-Bourse/Beurs and Gare du Midi/Zuidstation-Bourse/Beurs.
Tickets may be bought at vending machines at the stations, inside the vehicle (surcharge) and at specialised shops called BOOTIK/KIOSK/GO.
- single fare ticket costs €2.10 (€2.50 in the vehicle)
- 1 day ticket costs €7.00
- 5 journeys costs €8.00 (transferable, valid for 1 hour per journey, each journey is usable in different days)
- 10 journeys costs €12.50 (transferable, valid for 1 hour per journey, each journey is usable in different days)
- 72h ticket costs €17 (also valid for the aiport bus lines 12 and 21)
- Airport bus line ticket costs €4 (€6 inside the vehicle)
- Airport train ticket costs €7.80 (one-way to/from Centrale, Midi or Nord) (I think it is 8,50€ now, was two weeks ago)
NB: The yellow/white busses are operated by the transport authority of the region of Flanders De Lijn. Different tariffs apply.
There is a minimum charge of EURO 2.35 during the day and EURO 4.21 at night. Average price per km is 1 EURO in Brussels. The price of the trip, displayed on the meter, includes the service charge.
According to the Brussels Airport website the price of a fare to the centre will be around €45.
Brussels is not renown as a bicycle friendly area. The region does offer bike hiring services, but they require prior registration and the issuing of a special card.
Walking is always cheap and healthy.
Pictures on Commons