|This policy was updated on February 1, 2017. As such, this version of the policy is no longer in effect.|
The current version, and the version now in effect, is available on the Wikimedia Foundation wiki and on Meta-Wiki.
Donor Bill of Rights
We support the Donor Bill of Rights.
Philanthropy is based on voluntary action for the common good. It is a tradition of giving and sharing that is primary to the quality of life. To assure that philanthropy merits the respect and trust of the general public, and that donors and prospective donors can have full confidence in the not-for-profit organizations and causes they are asked to support, we declare that all donors have these rights:
- To be informed of the organization's mission, of the way the organization intends to use donated resources, and of its capacity to use donations effectively for their intended purposes.
- To be informed of the identity of those serving on the organization's governing board, and to expect the board to exercise prudent judgment in its stewardship responsibilities.
- To have access to the organization's most recent financial statements.
- To be assured their gifts will be used for the purposes for which they were given.
- To receive appropriate acknowledgement and recognition.
- To be assured that information about their donations is handled with respect and with confidentiality to the extent provided by law.
- To expect that all relationships with individuals representing organizations of interest to the donor will be professional in nature.
- To be informed whether those seeking donations are volunteers, employees of the organization or hired solicitors.
- To have the opportunity for their names to be deleted from mailing lists that an organization may intend to share.
- To feel free to ask questions when making a donation and to receive prompt, truthful and forthright answers.
The text of this statement in its entirety was developed by the Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP), Association for Healthcare Philanthropy (AHP), Council for Advancement and Support of Education (CASE), and the Giving Institute: Leading Consultants to Non-Profits.
Vilken information vi samlar in
Wikimedia. We use personal information collected from donors for the purposes of processing payments and communicating with donors about Wikimedia as well as conducting the fundraising and other operations of Wikimedia. This information may include name, amount donated, address, telephone number, donor comments, e-mail address, and any other personal information provided to us (“Donor Data”). For donations by check, Donor Data also includes the data visible on the check.
Payment Processors and Other Service Providers. Payment processors allow donors to give electronically using a payment services account, a credit card, or other payment method. These processors collect certain information from donors, and you should consult their privacy policies to determine their practices.
To provide donors the best possible experience, we work with service providers and may share Donor Data and other information with, or have it transmitted through, them. Such service providers include, for example, collocation facilities and bandwidth providers as well as organizations that help non-profit organizations with fundraising.
Hur vi använder den informationen
Donor Data. Donor Data may be used for these kinds of purposes:
- Distributing receipts and thanking donors for donations
- Informing donors about upcoming fundraising and other activities of Wikimedia
- Internal analysis, such as research and analytics
- Record keeping
- Reporting to applicable government agencies as required by law
- Surveys, metrics, and other analytical purposes
- Other purposes related to the fundraising operations
Unless otherwise stated, we do not publish, sell, trade, or rent Donor Data. Anonymized donor information may be used for promotional and fundraising activities. Comments that are provided by donors may be publicly published and may be used in promotional materials. We may use available information to supplement the Donor Data to improve the information we use to drive our fundraising efforts. We may allow donors the option to have their name publicly associated with their donation unless otherwise requested as part of the online donation process.
We use data gathered for payment processors and other service providers only for the purposes described in this policy.
It is our internal policy to limit access to financial information to professional staff and volunteers who need to process that information for the purposes described above. Personal financial information is not sold to or traded with other parties.
We use partners to provide online payment processing services. Usually, the privacy policies of these organizations will be presented to you on their respective websites and typically also as part of your donation process. If you pay by credit card, we do not store your credit card information, bank account numbers, or other financial account data sent directly to those processing services.
Donations to Wikimedia made by check go to a bank lockbox. This provides a particularly high level of security and confidentiality.
- Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
- 1 Montgomery Street
- Suite 1600
- San Francisco, CA 94104
If you want to make a donation by check, please send the check to:
- Note: donations by check are processed directly at our centralized lockbox location which is in Washington, DC.
We are committed to protecting donor personal information from unauthorized access, alteration, disclosure, or destruction. Among other things, we undertake a range of security practices, including measures to help secure web access to sensitive data and undertake efforts to address security vulnerabilities for various tools and databases.
We may disclose information when required by law; when needed to protect our rights, privacy, safety, property, donors, or users; and when necessary to enforce our terms of service.
Wikimedia is a worldwide organization. By donating, you consent to the transfer of the collected information to the United States and other places as may be necessary to carry out the purposes and objectives set out in this policy.
We seek to retain donor-related information only as needed to fulfill the purposes described in this policy unless a longer retention period is required by law or regulations. For example, tax laws in the United States and the State of Florida may require the Foundation to keep contact information and contribution level of donors on file.
You have certain rights with respect to the information we collect about you. Upon request, we will tell you what information we hold about you and correct any incorrect information. We will also make reasonable efforts to delete your information if you ask us to do so, unless we are otherwise required to keep it.
This particular policy applies to the entity that is posting it. If you visit the Wikimedia donation page from a location that has a Chapter, you might be – though not necessarily – redirected to that Chapter’s website. Chapters are independent and may post different policies and practices depending on local law requirements and other considerations. Chapters who participate in the fundraising, however, are expected to adhere to the general principles set out in this policy. This policy does not address data from sources other than donations, such as edits or content contributions to projects or features.
- Senast uppdaterad september 2011
- (for reference)
- (for reference)