Community health initiative/User reporting system/User interviews
Reporting System User InterviewsEdit
The Wikimedia Foundation's Anti-Harassment Tools team is in the early research stages of building an improved harassment reporting system for Wikimedia communities with the goals of making reports higher quality while lessening the burden on the reporter. There has been interest expressed in building a reporting tool in surveys, IdeaLab submissions, and on-wiki discussions. From movement people requesting it, to us as a team seeing a potential need for it. Because of that, myself and Sydney Poore have started reaching out to users who have expressed interest over the years of talking about harassment they’ve experienced and faced on Wikimedia projects. Our plan is to conduct user interviews with around 40 individuals in 15-30 min interviews. We will be conducting these interviews until the middle of February and we will write up a summary of what we’ve learned.
Here are the questions we plan to ask participants. We are posting these for transparency in case there are any major concerns we are not highlighting, let us know.
- How long have you been editing? Which wiki do you edit?
- Have you witnessed harassment and where? How many times a month do you encounter harassment on wiki that needs action from an administrator? (blocking an account, revdel edit, suppression of an edit, …?)
- Name the places where you receive reports of harassment or related issues? (eg. arbcom-l, checkuser-l, functionaries mailing list, OTRS, private email, IRC, AN/I,….?)
- Volume per month
- Name the places where you report harassment or related issues? (eg. emergency@, susa@, AN/I, arbcom-l, ….?)
- Volume per month
- Has your work as an admin handling a reported case of harassment resulted in you getting harassed?
- Follow question about how often and for how long
- Have you been in involved in different kinds of conflict and/or content disputes? Were you involved in the resolution process?
- What do you think worked?
- What do you think are the current spaces that exist on WP:EN to resolve conflict? What do you like/dislike? Do you think those spaces work well?
- What do you think of a reporting system for harassment inside of WP:EN? Should it exist? What do you think it should include? Where do you think it should be placed/exist? Who should be in charge of it?
- What kinds of actions or behaviors should be covered in this reporting system?
- an example could be doxxing or COI or vandalism etc
Times for interviewsEdit
February 1, 2018
- 3:00 PM UTC/ 7 AM pacific
- 3:30 PM UTC/ 7:30 AM pacific
- 4:00 PM UTC/ 8:00 AM pacific
- 4:30 PM UTC/ 8:30 AM pacific
February 2, 2018
- 3 AM UTC / 7 PM pacific
- 3:30 AM UTC / 7:30 PM pacific
- 4:00 AM UTC / 8:00 PM pacific
- 4:30 AM UTC / 8:30 PM pacific
- 8:00 PM UTC/12 noon pacific
- 8:30 PM UTC/12:30 PM pacific
- 9:00 PM UTC/1 PM pacific
- 9:30 PM UTC/1:30 PM pacific
February 6, 2018
- 2:00 AM UTC /
- 2:30 AM UTC
- 3:00 AM UTC
- 3:30 AM UTC