Community health initiative/Blocking tools and improvements/Links
- Search query for open tickets with 'block'
- MediaWiki-user-management tag
- T120734— Improve MediaWiki's blocking tools (parent ticket)
- T26294 — Should block IPv6 addresses at /64 instead of /128
- T44303 — Defect: Unable to block large IPv4 /8 ranges
- T128328 — Split the block permission into several permissions
- T16636 — Blocking/Permissions Rewrite
- T152953 — $wgCookieSetOnAutoblock should perhaps spread autoblocks when the cookie matches
- T152850— Bring the CIDR calculator to MediaWiki core (CheckUser)
- Community Tech/Blocking tools
- Notes page from late 2015/early 2016 that documents some decisions and discussions from the CommTech team as they built some blocking tool improvements.
- All the suggested projects are also listed above.
- No talk page.
- 2015 Community Wishlist Survey/Results
- Proposal "Enhanced per-user, per-article protection / blocking" received some support and some interesting discussion.
- Proposal "Improve MediaWiki's blocking tools" received some support and interesting discussion, and ultimately led to the CommTech page being created above.
- 2016 Community Wishlist Survey/Results
- Proposal "Allow admins to hide names of users while blocking them" received some support and discussion
- Proposal "Enable administrators to update block logs" has some support as well
- Proposal "All edits from hardblocked IP mark as unreviewed" is more about vandalism than harassment
- 2017 Community Wishlist Survey Results (link TBD)
- Anti-vandalism ideas
- Older page with some ideas on how to prevent or clean-up vandalism.
- The page and talk page have some ideas for monitoring suggested vandal IPs/accounts, as well as adding obstacles to the account creation or first-time editing processes. Not pertinent for our needs.
- Global bans
- Policy page that describes how and when accounts are globally banned. (In brief, when 2+ communities agree, a global ban will likely be placed.)
- The talk page and archives have no pertinent suggestions.
- Global blocks
- Policy page that describes how and when IP addresses are blocked on all wikis. (Usually for vandalism, either for a day or year.)
- The talk page and archive page had no pertinent suggestions.
- Global locks
- Policy page that describes how and when accounts are locked by stewards, meaning the user cannot log in on any Wikimedia wiki.
- The talk page has some mildly interesting comments but nothing pertinent to our immediate work.
I found no pertinent suggestions for new blocking tools or improvements on MediaWiki.org
- Technical MediaWiki information
- Extension:GlobalBlocking — Allows permissioned users to block users/IPs from a network of wikis.
- Extension:RegexBlock — Allows admins to block IPs and usernames by RegEx.
- Extension:TorBlock — Automatically blocks TOR IPs.
- Extension:BlockBatch — Block a whole bunch of users/IPs at once.
- Extension:AutoProxyBlock — Automatically block known proxy IPs when they attempt to edit.