Community Wishlist Survey 2022/Editing/Select preview image/Proposal
- Problem: Page Previews often default to showing images that are in templates. For example, links to w:Civil war show the image from w:Template:Revolution sidebar which is used on the w:Civil war article.
- Proposed solution: Allow editors to choose a certain image within the article, not necessarily from within the lead section, to be displayed as the preview image. This could be done with a magic word or in the image syntax itself.
- Who would benefit: Everyone who uses page previews when reading Wikipedia articles (presumably most desktop users).
- More comments: Information on how images are automatically selected today can be found at mw:Special:MyLanguage/Extension:PageImages#image-choice.
- Phabricator tickets: phab:T91683
- Proposer: Toadspike (talk) 18:30, 10 January 2022 (UTC)