Community Wishlist Survey 2021/Editing/Allow the usage of talk page specific markup inside the visual editor
The survey has concluded. Here are the results!
Allow the usage of talk page specific markup inside the visual editor
- Problem: Some functionalities that are often used in talk pages are either not present in the visual editor or disabled outside of talk pages and due to that, every article where someone may use either of those features need the wikitext editor. Besides that, regular articles could benefit from more structured listing options and signatures.
- Who would benefit: Bloggers who use signatures to state when each blog post was created with ~~~. People who wish to have more options for structured lists since currently only "*" (dotted) and "#" (numbered) structured lists are available.
- Proposed solution: Per the title, create options for ":" and ";" inside the bullet list menu, make it possible to enable signatures on regular articles and enable different signatures such as date only or signature only.
- More comments: What's above is more important, but I wish it was easier to look for media files with dubious filenames (E.G: 1234567890.jpg) because inputting into the search bar the file name gives a lot of PDF files from commons as a result, but the file in question is nowhere to be found.
- Phabricator tickets: phab:T39938 Support for creating and editing definition-lists in VisualEditor
- Proposer: MarioSuperstar77 (talk) 20:01, 18 November 2020 (UTC)
- @MarioSuperstar77: I kind of agree with this, and support it a little bit. Keep it up, and stay safe! MemeGod27
- Regarding the signature bit, that's already configurable on a wiki level. The $wgExtraSignatureNamespaces config controls what namespaces the signature tool shows up on. Depending on the exact use-case, picking some more namespaces to have it enabled on by default could work (assuming community agreement)... or, more involved, providing some way for a user to override that setting. Choosing the type of signature is a little fiddlier from a visual stance, but we could maybe keep the current "turn it into a preview when you enter the ~~~~" behavior and a single signature menu-item, and then have some options on the signature-preview node that'd let the user toggle the type. DLynch (WMF) (talk) 16:42, 21 November 2020 (UTC)
- It could be used a hidden template for this Template:TalkVE or another of the proposed solutions.--BoldLuis (talk) 15:15, 11 December 2020 (UTC)
- Support anythig to make talk pages better, of course Leftowiki (talk) 00:40, 9 December 2020 (UTC)
- Support Ciao • Bestoernesto • ✉ 04:30, 9 December 2020 (UTC)
- Support Je ne comprends pas la proposition mais je soutiens tout ce qui peut améliorer ou faciliter l'écriture en mode visuel que j'utilise essentiellement. Cdmt' Mylenos (talk) 11:57, 9 December 2020 (UTC)
- Support BoldLuis (talk) 15:15, 11 December 2020 (UTC)
- Oppose MW isn't a blogging platform; you're free to bend it into one, but MW devs should spend no time on that, given how much work there is to do building tools for WMF's central mission. Also, there's already an internal mechanism to redefined pages in any namespace as talk pages (that's why things like w:en:WP:ANI and w:en:WP:VPPRO work like talk pages). So, the tools to do make random pages have talk-page features are already inherent in the system anyway. — SMcCandlish ☺ ☏ ¢ >ʌⱷ҅ᴥⱷʌ< 06:56, 15 December 2020 (UTC)
- Comment Even without the signatures (Which seems to be your main complaint here), having a more diversified structured list menu would not hurt anyone. I already use ; and : lists on my wiki, but they are only available inside the wikitext editor which is an inconvenient bummer. MarioSuperstar77 (talk) 16:47, 15 December 2020 (UTC)