Community Wishlist Survey 2019/Multimedia and Commons/MediaWiki Upload to Commons Wizard for non WM projects
The survey has concluded. Here are the results!
MediaWiki Upload to Commons Wizard for non WM projects
- Problem: Instant Commons is a fine feature for non WM wikis - but adding content to Commons from a non WM Wiki is not possible.
- Who would benefit: All Commons users
- Proposed solution: Development of a MW Extension (compatible to standard MW) with an upload wizard to Commons allowing users of non WM Wikis to add proper licensed free content without leaving their wiki.
- More comments:
- Phabricator tickets:
- Proposer: Friedel Völker (talk) 07:25, 3 November 2018 (UTC)
- Thank you @AKlapper (WMF):. Did'nt know Glam2Commons. But it doesn't fit. I'll try to give you something like a user story for my (our) needs: I am contributing to a local free content wiki project (w:de:Regiowiki). Easiest way to contribute photos is to upload them to this local wiki. But if I want to share my pictures with a larger community I can upload the photos to Commons and add them to the local wiki. Adding photos from Commons is easy as the administrator of the local wiki enabled the instant commons option of MediaWiki, but the upload process forces me to leave the local wiki to login into Commons, upload the photo there and switch back to my local wiki article. Better would be to have an option in the local wiki for uploading to Commons, entering Commons credentials there, have a guided process for a proper license and description and be able to proceed editing my local wiki article without leaving. --Friedel Völker (talk) 05:28, 5 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Zoranzoki21 (talk) 14:38, 17 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support might encourage some more contribs, though not my highest priority HLHJ (talk) 05:10, 18 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Sebastian Wallroth (talk) 10:38, 18 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Good point. Juandev (talk) 11:22, 18 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Liuxinyu970226 (talk) 13:00, 18 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Wesalius (talk) 21:22, 18 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Could encourage more contributions Vulphere 12:18, 20 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Novak Watchmen (talk) 13:36, 21 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Anas aze (talk) 21:11, 25 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support - FlightTime (open channel) 20:46, 26 November 2018 (UTC)