Community Wishlist Survey 2019/Miscellaneous/Save the revision that a translated article is based on
Save the revision that a translated article is based on
- Problem: We, the another wikipedian (non English) try to translate mostly from English Wikipedia. When we create any article in another language, we frequently notice in spite of passing out several days, no edition has been done there. But in the meantime, we find so many editions in the same English wikipedia article. It is very difficult to us to find out the exact edition in English wikipedia.
- Who would benefit: The translator who try to enrich a wiki article which is in another Wikipedia of different language.
- Proposed solution: So, I suggest if any tool can be created and by using it we can understand the differences of editions which have been done in a specific wikipedian article page, it will be so beneficial to us for translating the information.
- More comments:
- Phabricator tickets:
- Proposer: প্রলয়স্রোত (talk) 13:42, 11 November 2018 (UTC)
@প্রলয়স্রোত: It's unclear to me what exactly is requested here... Why do you need to find the exact edition in English Wikipedia that corresponds to a version in another Wikipedia? I'm not sure I understand the underlying problem. When you translate an article from English Wikipedia, do you use mw:Extension:ContentTranslation? --AKlapper (WMF) (talk) 13:32, 12 November 2018 (UTC)
- @AKlapper (WMF): Assuming "editing" and "addition" were meant by "edition", this is a request for some sort of version control system, like the one used on multilingual projects (but using an English Wikipedia article as the source). I might be wrong, but it seems to make a lot of sense. Jc86035 (talk) 18:09, 12 November 2018 (UTC)
- @Jc86035: Does "some sort of version control system, like the one used on multilingual projects" mean something like that exists already? Could you provide some example link (or steps how to see that system)? Thanks! :) --AKlapper (WMF) (talk) 22:58, 12 November 2018 (UTC)
How about putting an HTML comment in the source, like this:
<!-- based on https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Abc_conjecture&oldid=870703884 (2018-11-12) -->? PJTraill (talk) 23:50, 26 November 2018 (UTC)
The extension for translating articles is Content Translation and not Translate. I'll assume that this wishlist item is about Content Translation.
Content Translation has saved the revision that a translated article is based on from the very start, since it was launched in January 2015. The link to this revision can be easily found in the edit summary of the first translated revision. For example, if you go to the article Haenyeo (হেনিয়ো), then to its revision history (ইতিহাস দেখুন), you'll see the edit summary on the oldest revision: ("Haenyeo" পাতাটি অনুবাদ করে তৈরি করা হয়েছে). "Haenyeo" is a link to the English Wikipedia article revision from which this article was translated. Does it address the request in the title of this wishlist item? --Amir E. Aharoni (talk) 11:30, 27 November 2018 (UTC)
- It is my bad not clearly express what I wanna say. I am going to give an example now: hope it will make sense of my statement:@AKlapper (WMF):,@Jc86035:,@PJTraill:,@Amire80:;
- Optical physicist w:Donna Strickland received nobel in 2018. After getting nobel I translated wiki article on her to bangla wiki instantly. Hope, she will live longer but as law of nature she has to die. Suppose she would die on 2021. As of lack of our manpower in Bangla Wikipedia it might be happened that no bengali wikipedian would update her Bengali wiki biography between the three years. So after hearing her death news any of Bangla wikipedian would come to her bangla biograph and will try to compare bangla article with English article for knowing which info is not in Bangla wiki.
- And it is very time consuming to read sentence by sentence to compare the two articles which is in different languages or to browse every history pages and it's editing. Because in those three years there may be more than thousand history pages in English wiki.
- But, if there are a tool to check only those editings which exists only and can be shown in one page by setting date range, e:g: October 2018-November 2021, it would be helpful for the translator, especially for the large page like w:List of atheists in science and technology, w:Evidence of common descent etc. Sorghum 17:51, 28 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Liuxinyu970226 (talk) 08:35, 17 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Libcub (talk) 10:55, 17 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support ديفيد عادل وهبة خليل 2 (talk) 11:25, 17 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Wunkt2 (talk) 04:03, 18 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Novak Watchmen (talk) 01:34, 21 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Elfi (talk) 07:18, 21 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support --Zopp (talk) 12:50, 26 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Filipović Zoran (talk) 19:26, 26 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Dvorapa (talk) 12:48, 27 November 2018 (UTC)