Community Wishlist Survey 2019/Editing/Make the 2010 editor lighter and faster or create a new lightweight editor
The survey has concluded. Here are the results!
- Problem: The 2010 editor is much slower and much more memory-consuming than the just removed 2006 editor. Unfortunately, this seems to be now the only tool that offers an interface to various extensions like CodeMirror or ProofreadPage. This is especially visible when opening simultaneously about 50 pages for offline editing. But not only.
- Who would benefit: advanced users who make a lot of on-wiki edits
- Proposed solution: optionally disable or some rarely used features of the editor (eg. the "Help" or "Special characters") or make them loadable on demand (non-existent in the page structure until clicked on). Or make an alternative, simple, lightweight tool that allow to configure easily which elements are of interface are created and which are not by users who are not technically skilled. Note: this is about not creating unnecessary HTML code, not about removing them from existent interface as the latter is unlikely to save memory and fasten browser operation.
- More comments: "Advanced" wiki users may have no programming skills or no HTML knowledge to create an optimized environment by themselves. They may have some skills that allow them to create/modify the wiki content efficiently if supported by efficient tools.
- Phabricator tickets:
- Proposer: Ankry (talk) 17:20, 10 November 2018 (UTC)
As having worked on this editor in the past, can you describe why/how/where it feels 'slow' to you (or anyone else who wants to answer) ? Some of my personal hunches are
- Support Liuxinyu970226 (talk) 08:04, 17 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Tim Landscheidt (talk) 03:07, 18 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Benjamin (talk) 10:27, 19 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Novak Watchmen (talk) 00:29, 21 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support ··· 🌸 Rachmat04 · ☕ 09:05, 21 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Current loading/reloading process takes up too much time of edit. It's gonna be awesome (talk) 15:06, 22 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Pf1127 (talk) 06:52, 24 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Dreamy Jazz (talk) 13:22, 26 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Iich1960 (talk) 11:12, 28 November 2018 (UTC)