Community Tech/Popular pages bot
The Popular pages bot project aims to help WikiProject contributors gain deeper understanding about which article pages are popular among readers. The bot posts monthly updates of the most read pages within a WikiProject for the previous calendar month, the pageviews, the article's assessment and its importance. An example report can be found at en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Spiders/Popular_pages
This project was based on the 9th ranked request in the 2016 Community Wishlist to Fix Mr.Z-bot's popular pages report. The bot has been re-written with a few changes and enhancements.
- Development home page
- Wishlist proposal and votes
- Phabricator ticket tracking the work
- en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Community_Tech_bot — Userpage of bot account on ENWP that posts the monthly updates
May 16, 2017
All reported bugs have been resolved and the bot is active on ENWP. We've also made some small performance improvements.
How it worksEdit
- General info
- This bot posts monthly lists of the popular pages per WikiProject to a sub-page (e.g. Wikipedia:WikiProject_Spiders/Popular_pages)
- WikiProjects can sign-up or modify their enrollment on en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Community_Tech_bot/Popular_pages_config.json
- The bot currently only posts on English-language Wikipedia.
- The bot operates via the account User:Community_Tech_bot
- The bot will post up to 1,000 articles per WikiProject, but the total amount is customizable per project in the config.
- The bot begins updating the 2nd of every calendar month for the previous months' data. The bot may take up to 2 weeks to post all updates, given the size of some WikiProjects. After all WikiProjects have been updated the bot updates the table on User:Community_Tech_bot/Popular_pages
- When posting an update, the bot clears the entire contents of the page below the first header before posting the new data.
- Data sources
- The bot pulls pageview data from the PageviewAPI and includes data from both desktop web and mobile web + app, combining redirect pageviews (e.g. views to /wiki/Obama are added to /wiki/Barack_Obama in the table.)
- The bot pulls article assessment and importance data from the PageAssessments extension.
This project was selected by Community Tech because it was ranked #9 in the 2016 Community Wishlist. The original bot, Mr.Z-bot was written by ENWP admin Mr.Z-man but stopped operating in mid-2016. The report was helpful for many WikiProjects and its absence was a hinderance on their work.
Report a Bug or ProblemEdit
Please report any issues with the bot or reports on User talk:Community Tech bot.
If the bot account is malfunctioning or causing problems, ENWP administrators should block the account until the issues are resolved.