Community Capacity Development/Tamil 2016/Follow-up survey analysis
A survey was conducted in November 2016 in the Tamil Wikipedia community, aiming to assess community perception of the impact of the CCD program in the Tamil community. The survey (translated into Tamil by volunteers) was publicized in the Tamil Wikipedia (equivalent of) Village Pump, as well as over community social media channels and platforms like WhatsApp.
31 responses were received (n = 31), making the results very representative (As of November 2016, Tamil Wikipedia has 18 very active editors and 64 active editors). Of those 31, 14 attended the training, and 17 did not, so it does cover different people than the previous surveys, of the attendees.
This page attempts to summarize what those 31 responses suggest.
Summary of responsesEdit
- 74% of respondents had 3 or more years of experience in Wikimedia projects
- 85% of attendees regard the training, half a year later, to have been at least fairly useful (graph #0)
- fully 100% of attendees agree they have personally put at least some of the things they've learned at the training to use in their ongoing wiki work (graph #1)
- Whereas the average degree to which respondents agreed with the question "To what extent do you agree or disagree with the following statement? 'In 2015, the Tamil community had enough volunteers ready and able to serve its technical needs'" was 3.16 (of 5), the average degree to which respondents agreed with the question "To what extent do you agree or disagree with the following statement? 'Today, the Tamil community has enough volunteers ready and able to serve its technical needs'" was 3.36 (of 5), a small (6%) positive shift in the community's assessment of the availability of technical volunteers. (graphs 2 and 3).
- 87% of respondents report at least moderately understanding Wikidata and how to contribute to it. Significantly, most respondents did not attend the training, suggesting some successful diffusion of knowledge within the community (graph 4)
- 89.6% of respondents consider the training to have been moderately or very useful to the Tamil community. (graph 5)
- 77.5% of respondents are fairly or very likely to recommend this training to other communities, or others in their own community. (graph 6)
- 77.4% think the CCD approach is definitely worthwhile; the rest think it's probably worthwhile (graph 7)