There is an ongoing RFC regarding the proposal to change the name of the Wikimedia Foundation.
The Wikimedia Foundation Board of trustees has resolved to pause the Movement Brand Project until March 2021. Read the full resolution on the Wikimedia Foundation Governance Wiki.
The research and planning project has concluded. Participation continues in the 2030 movement branding project.
Sebagai bagian dari perencanaan Wikimedia Foundation dalam mendukung Strategi Gerakan, departemen Komunikasi melaksanakan penelitian dalam bidang merek Wikimedia.
The goal is to understand the wide system of Wikimedia project brands (names, logos, perceptions) in 2018, and examine what could be improved to support Wikimedia 2030. The outcomes of this research project are a "brand report" and a “brand strategy.” In 2019, the Foundation's Communications department is sharing the project's outcomes (research and strategy) for review with Wikimedia community members. Our goal is to collect feedback from more than 80% of affiliates and as many individual contributors as possible before developing next steps including any Wikimedia brand changes. This Community Review will run from February to May 2019.
Proyek ini secara singkat
- Clarify and expand Wikimedia and Wikipedia brand architecture to help us reach the objectives outlined in our global strategic direction.
- Develop messaging guidance to grow public perception and support to achieve our vision in its true and global sense.
- Pengguna internet
- Dengan fokus tertentu pada pasar internet yang sedang berkembang
- Peserta umum
- Kami perlu mengevaluasi bagaimana merek Wikimedia berlanjut dalam keterhubungan dengan seluruh manusia
- Brand research and positioning analysis
- Brand strategy documents
- Brand voice & messaging guidelines
- Perencanaan: Maret–Mei 2018
- Permulaan proyek: Juni 2018
Tahap 1: Penelitian
- Ulasan penelitian: Juli 2018
- Selesai penelitian: Agustus 2018
Tahap 2: Strategi
- Strategy drafted: September 2018
- Strategy complete: November 2018
Phase 3: Activation examples
- Messaging drafted: December 2018
- Messaging complete: January 2019
Consulted at Wikimania 2018 and throughout project stages
- Abraham Taherivand
- Jan Apel
- Subhashish Panigrahi
- Zack McCune - pimpinan proyek
- Heather Walls
- Jorge Vargas
- Charles Roslof
- Nirzar Pangarkar
- Margeigh Novotny
- Guillaume Paumier
- Ben Vershbow
Communications Department support
- Lena Traer
- Blanca Flores
To support our work on brand research & strategy, we are working with an organization called Wolff Olins. Wolff Olins specializes in brand research, positioning, strategic development, messaging, and design. They will guide the overall work for this project, organizing and completing key original research, workshops, positioning, and messaging guidelines.
We chose to work with Wolff Olins due to their considerable expertise in working with human-focused non-profit brands including the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City and Amnesty International. Their proposal for this project fit our needs for original inquiry, strategic planning, and new international growth better than all other prospective partners. We are thrilled to be working with them.
- Defined project scope
- Developed project brief
- Contacted 8 potential international brand research & strategy partners
- Criteria: Proven experience working for large companies (non-profits and knowledge orgs preferred) across languages and culture
- Requested proposals and prospective project costs
- Reviewed responses from 6 agencies
- Selected 2 top partners for final review
- Developed project team
- Selected international research & strategy partner: Wolff Olins
- Developed project scope and timeline
- Set 7 nations for "brand perception" research (Nigeria, India, Mexico, Egypt, China, USA, Germany)
- Partner conducted 10 kick-off stakeholder interviews
- Partner hosted "Brand Immersion" workshop at Wikimedia Foundation office in San Francisco
- Conducted 7 interviews with Community Leaders at Wikimania (representing Nigeria, India, Mexico, Egypt, China, Germany)
- Conducted 4 interviews with members of the Board of Trustees (including Board Chair and Jimmy Wales)
- Hosted "brand immersion" workshop with members of ComCom and conference attendees
- Introduced research team to Wikidata product team members
- Completed brand research with 150 participants in 5 languages across 7 nations
- Hosted second brand workshop at Wikimedia Foundation office in San Francisco with remote participation from Germany and Jordan
- Reviewed brand research
- Examined brand positioning
- Discussed 3 potential "playgrounds" for how the brand could be further developed
- Project team shared potential "playgrounds" with their colleagues/departments for further comment
- Hosting third brand workshop at Wikimedia Foundation office in San Francisco with remote participation from Germany and Jordan
- Reviewing first draft of brand architecture and positioning
- Hosted fourth brand workshop (remote) to review second draft of brand architecture and positioning
- Shared draft strategic recommendations (architecture and positioning) with Executive Director and Board chairs for feedback
- Agreed to share "final" brand strategy suggestions at November 9 Board meeting
- Presented brand research and strategy findings to Board at November 9 meeting
- This 90 minute presentation included discussion of brand history, importance of project identities, and recommendations for how to continue project with broad consultation of Wikimedia communities
- Also had chance to present brand research and strategy findings to members of the Movement Strategy core group
- Began planning for 6-month community consultation and alignment
- Began working with Community Relations in the Foundation's Community Engagement department to finalize consultation planning
- Developed consultation plan to reach more than 80% of affiliates over the next 4 months, including brand presentations and interviews at Iberoconf, Wiki Arabia, Wiki Indaba, and the Wikimedia Summit in Berlin
- Comments, notes, and directions will be collected at Communications/Wikimedia brands/2030 research and planning/community feedback
- Pertanyaan dan komentar dapat ditujukan kepada surel proyek baru brandproject wikimedia org
February 2019 – May 2019
- Collected community feedback on-wiki, in events, and from affiliates
- Summarized findings at Community Review results
Laporan & Keluaran
A report on the understanding of Wikimedia brands (including Wikipedia and other projects) among internet users in 7 international markets. As part of the Wikimedia Foundation’s planning to support the Movement Strategy, this report is meant to guide future Communications work to introduce and invite new participants into the Wikimedia Movement.
A brand strategy proposal for reaching our 2030 goals.