A map of what we want the world to know about us, and how we get there
The Wikimedia Foundation Communications department has been developing a fiscal year 2016-2017 messaging strategy for use by the Wikimedia Foundation.
A movement messaging strategy will serve as a map of what we want the world to know about us, and how we get there.
The 2016-17 movement messaging strategy will be the first one developed by the Communications department. The plan is to develop new annual strategies each year moving forward.
The plan is primarily indented for use by the Wikimedia Foundation, but given its broad topics can be utilized by others within the movement.
As a part of their 2016-2017 annual plan, the Wikimedia Foundation Communications department began developing a new messaging strategy in July 2016. Moving forward, this will become an annual practice, but as a first-time activity, the development of this year's plan has been more extensive. As a part of the development process, the department conducted:
- Landscape mapping
- Objectives mapping
- Media audit (traditional and social)
The department began socializing the proposed framework for this year's strategy in October 2016, and will continue to collect feedback and develop the strategy through the remainder of 2016.
- 2014-16 communications audit
- This report analyzes media coverage garnered by Wikipedia and the Wikimedia Foundation between October 2014 and May 2016.
- 2016-2017 Wikimedia Foundation messaging strategy
- Proposed strategy for Wikimedia Foundation's Fiscal Year 2016-2017 (July 2016 - June 2017)