The Communications Department will be attending Wikimania 2017 to provide capacity building, collect input, increase awareness, and network with community members.
|Джулиет Барбара||Communications Director||
|Бланка Флорес||Design Associate (Contractor)||
|Виктор Григас||Video Production Manager and Storyteller||
|Обри Джонсън||Social Media Associate (Contractor)||
|Мел Крамър||Senior Audience Development Manager||
|Саманта Лиен||Communications Manager||
|Закари Маккън||Global Audience Communications Manager||
|Грегъри Варнъм||Communications Strategist||
|Хедър Уолс||Creative Director (Interim Chief of Communications)||
In addition to staff and contractors with the Wikimedia Foundation Communications Department in attendance, the team will also be hosting three members of the Mule Design consulting firm working as primary outside leads on the Wikimedia Foundation 2017 redesign effort. The Communications department will be assisting the Mule Design team in their efforts at Wikimania, and helping arrange meetings.
The department will be facilitating these workshops and discussions:
- Communications Committee update during Wikimedia Conference Follow-Up Day
- Thursday, August 10 - 9:30–11:00 - Fréchette room
- Social media discussion during Wikimedia Foundation Learning Days
- Thursday, August 10 - 14:45–15:30 - Salon 3
- How good communication can help you talk to reporters, rule the world, and do other cool stuff: An introductory guide to public relations
- Friday, August 11 - 11:00–12:00 - Joyce/Jarry room
- Free knowledge for complete beginners: introducing Wikipedia to new readers
- Friday, August 11 - 14:00–15:30 - Ballroom Center
- What should we know for the future? Global trends that will impact the next 15 years of Wikimedia
- Saturday, August 12 - 16:00–17:00 - Ballroom Center
- How to raise awareness for Wikipedia: lessons from Iraq & Nigeria
- Saturday, August 12 - 16:00–17:00 - Salon 3
- The Coolest Projects of Wikimedia Chapters - Be Inspired
- Sunday, August 13 - 14:00–15:30 - Ballroom West
- Covering the Wikimedia Community
- Sunday, August 13 - 14:30–15:30 - Drummond West
- A Medieval pope skeleton dancing with Taylor Swift in an Iraqi telecom commercial
- Sunday, August 13 - 16:00–17:00 - Ballroom Center
With its participation in the conference, the department hopes to achieve these objectives:
- Help community projects expand their communications capacity
- Network with members of the community
- Engage community members in Wikimedia Foundation's communications efforts
- Increase awareness of department activities and efforts to support the community
- Discuss initiatives the department is considering
The department plans these social media projects during the conference:
- Introduce community members interested in social media to the movement’s active and helpful Facebook group.
- Engage community members via the @wikimania Twitter handle and #wikimania hashtag
- Narrate the conference with three Wikimedia Blog posts: Coming from around the world; Sights and sounds of Wikimania; and conference wrap-up.
The Communications Department is planning to meet with a number of community members at Wikimania 2017. If you would like to arrange for a meeting, please post a comment on this talk page, or email communications wikimedia.org.