|Wikimedia Foundation staff and contractors participate with the volunteer community in maintaining this page's content.|
Voting is now closed. Before revealing the winner, there will be rounds of legal due diligence and, if necessary, the winning sound will be professionally re-recorded. We are hoping to announce the final contest winner between the end of February and April 2023. Stay tuned!
Dator, hur låter all mänsklig kunskap?
These days, people can ask computers and smart devices questions with their voices and major search engines often search Wikimedia projects to answer them. Without sound logo as a means to identify Wikimedia content, the public does not always know that this knowledge comes from Wikimedia, a trusted source for verifiable information. In tune a legacy of visual logo contest and with exciting new parameters regarding sound logos and audio production, the Wikimedia Foundation is organizing a global contest for a sound logo for Wikimedia, and we'd love to hear from you.
We have curated themes and sounds in the sound lab for you to experiment with and get inspired. Happy listening.
Read our Diff blog series to learn more:
- A sound logo for Wikimedia
- Conceptualizing a new contest based on existing practices
- Refining a global contest for the sound of Wikimedia
Music Production Drop-in Clinic
If you want to learn more about sound logos, need help with your submission, or if you have a great idea for one, but don't know how to capture it, join this conversation with our technical partner MassiveMusic on September 29, 15:00-16:00 UTC. Sign up directly on Zoom or below using your Wikimedia username and we will send you the call link using the "Email this User" feature. Please share your questions in advance so we can best adapt the workshop for you.
Clinic Sign Up
- Arupako-WMF (talk) 15:53, 7 September 2022 (UTC)
- MPourzaki (WMF) (talk) 20:03, 7 September 2022 (UTC)
- MBenloulou-WMF (talk) 19:50, 9 September 2022 (UTC)
- Obuezie (talk) 11:04, 13 September 2022 (UTC)
- CalliandraDysantha-WMF (talk) 16:56, 13 September 2022 (UTC)
- Kambai Akau (talk) 19:44, 14 September 2022 (UTC)
- Felipe Pimentel (talk) 11:58, 15 September 2022 (UTC)
- Internetyev (talk) 09:53, 17 September 2022 (UTC)
- Fahkami (talk) 10:10, 17 September 2022 (UTC)
- Rwebogora (talk) 18:28, 18 September 2022 (UTC)
- Yasanto Lase (talk) Yasanto Lase (talk) 12:46, 19 September 2022 (UTC)
- Suyash Dwivedi (talk) 18:07, 19 September 2022 (UTC)
- إيهاب السماك (talk) 13:04, 21 September 2022 (UTC)
- Newtrains (talk) 15:33, 22 September 2022 (UTC)
- Alvinategyeka (talk) 01:00, 23 September 2022 (UTC)
- User:Anggabuana (talk) 12:10, 26 September 2022 (UTC)
- Kateregga1 (talk) 06:33, 27 September 2022 (UTC)
Your question(s) for the clinic
- Can I use licensed sounds that I paid for and downloaded? (for instance: "Pro Sound Effects - Cinematic Winds")
The tentative timeline for the contest is below. We intend to keep this updated as the logo contest moves on, but it may change as needs arise.
|October 2021 to February 2022||March + April 2022||May + June 2022||juli 2022||augusti 2022||september 2022||oktober 2022||november 2022||december 2022||Early 2023|
|Phase 1: Background outreach & discussion||Project team preparations||Phase 2: Community outreach & discussions||contest design based on conversations and input||Sound logo events at Wikimania||Phase 3: Contest||Shortlisting, voting||Voting||Voting||Results|
|Community events, initial scope discussions||Link||Contest design discussions with the community||Contest design finalized||Website design and submission set up; team of liaisons; Screening Team and Selection Committee set up||The global contest for The Sound of All Human Knowledge launches||Contest closes, initial copyright reviews, Selection Committee shortlists||Currently scheduled to start on November 29||Voting closes on Wikimedia Commons||The Wikimedia sound logo, The Sound of All Human Knowledge is revealed to the world.|
- Lena Traer, Senior Creative Project Manager
- Mathoto Matsetela-Hartmann, Senior Manager, Global Brand
- Tas Elias, Brand Collaborations Lead
- Kelsi Stine-Rowe, Senior Project Manager
- Mehrdad Pourzaki, Lead Movement Communications Specialist
- Rae Adimer, Movement Communications Associate
- Calliandra Dysantha
- Erina Mukuta
- Victor Grigas, liaison for the initial phases of the project
Together, we’re leading and supporting the global contest for the Wikimedia sound logo.
Phase 2 of the Wikimedia sound logo contest involved open community conversations on the contest proposal (you can view slides of which). Two meetings were held, on May 27 and another on June 2. You can see the May 27 video recording. A presentation involved dissecting the TED sound logo, showing a few basics of how to use Audacity audio software and some basics of audio recording, a synopsis of the contest proposal and how it has developed and question and answers.
Phase 1 connections with communities
Below is a table of all the places - past and future - where we are joining Wikimedians to talk about the sound logo project in addition to our talk page. If you'd like to invite the team to your event or schedule a call to talk about the project, please email soundlogo wikimedia.org. We can make interpretation arrangements if needed to speak with groups in languages other than English.
|Name of group or discussion||Summary||Event notes|
|WikiArabia - Conference Roundtable, 15 oktober 2021||Tas and Samir from the Brand Studio and Kelsi from Movement Communications connected with approximately 25 volunteers as part of a Sound Logo Roundtable at WikiArabia 2021. Tas presented an introduction to exploring a Sound Logo for Wikimedia content, which had no engagement in the public chat and no questions asked on the call but those in attendance were informed of the opportunity.||See program link and notes.|
|Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network - Presentation and Q&A, 31 oktober 2021 (both meetings)||Kelsi from the sound logo team connected with approximately 30 volunteers from across the movement at the first October 2021 SWAN meetings. The idea of a sound logo was received with general positivity, and including asked questions about trademarking, use by volunteers, and whether the sound logo could contain words. Volunteers also demonstrated excitement for the upcoming sound logo contest by sharing logo ideas in the side chat.
At the second SWAN meeting held on October 31 18:30 UTC the Brand Studio team (represented by Mathoto, Zack and Samir) connected with approximately 40 volunteers. The Brand Studio team thanked nominated community advisors who helped guide the next steps for brand work which includes plans to expand flexible naming options, a single community pilot, update the existing brand guidelines portal on meta and the sound logo exploration. Attendees celebrated the positive impact the color letter had on the movement and were generally pleased to see brand projects being initiated to support the movement again on a surer basis. There was also positive interest and helpful suggestions for the sound logo project particularly around it requiring clear usage guidelines.
|See the event link and notes.|
|Communications Committee, October 26, 2021||Mathoto, Tas and Lena from the sound logo team joined the Communications Committee monthly meeting held on October 26, 2021 (9 community members in attendance). Mathoto shared an overview of brand next steps and presented the idea of the sound logo exploration. We received helpful suggestions around framing of the project idea and inspiration for the sound logo contest.|
|WikiIndaba - Conference Roundtable, 04 november 2021||The brand studio team hosted a WMF Communications Department Roundtable at Wiki Indaba 2021. Mathoto shared an overview of brand next steps focussing on how the Foundation will update the existing Wikimedia brand guidelines portal on meta and Tas shared information on the Sound Logo project. The Sound Logo did not elicit any notable response as many of the commenters wanted to know more about brand guidelines updates and training planned for next year.||For more information, see the event link and the session notes.|
|Wikimedia CEE Online Meeting - Conference Roundtable, 06 november 2021||The Brand Studio team (Mathoto, Tas, Samir) connected with approximately 30 volunteers from Central and Eastern Europe as part of a WMF Communications Department Roundtable at the Wikimedia CEE Online Meeting 2021. Mathoto recapped the Board resolutions for brand work with Tas presenting an introduction to the exploration of a Sound Logo for Wikimedia content and Samir presented the project to consolidate and update Wikimedia brand guidelines. The Sound Logo was received well with lots of engagement. Creative ideas for sounds, existing use cases (such as Spoken Wikipedia and WikiQR) and new use cases (such as a moving audiovisual logo for Wikimedia content) were shared by several communities.||You may find program and recording.|
WikiConvention Francophone- Conference Roundtable, 20 november 2021
|Tas and Kelsi from the sound logo team presented about the new sound logo project in front of about 50 attendees at WikiConvention Francophone. The audience response was overall positive, with questions about whether a sound logo would also have an accompanying moving visual logo, how well the project would support minority languages, whether the sound logo would have speech or text, and if the sound logo would be language neutral.||You may find event link and session notes.|
Interested in this project?
Add your username here for more information about the contest.
- Maddy from Celeste (talk)
- VGrigas (WMF) (talk) (Community liason for the sound logo project)
- Shoodho (talk), New to this and curious to learn more
- Binksternet, audio engineer. Sound design is one of my interests.
- Fuzheado (talk), former multimedia professional, active in the Wikimedia movement
- Borys Kozielski (talk), I'm involved in sound projects and leading Wikiradio
- Graham87, I don't work with sound much myself but I know of several other blind people who do and may well be interested in designing something for this project. Graham87 (talk) 05:08, 30 November 2021 (UTC)
- Deniz_Erdogan_(WMDE), I'm working at SWE for Wikimedia Deutschland, and sound design is a hobby of mine
- ProtoplasmaKid (talk) also composer and musician using free licenses :)
- Suyash Dwivedi (talk), I loved this idea from very beginning, I am an Electronics engineer and have some experience with sound engineering.
- Daramlagon (talk)
- KaraLG84 (talk), I am a musician and interested in sound design.
- Другий Хрущ (talk), I have a beautiful melody in my eye.
- Bachounda (talk), Last year i Directed realisation of WikiGhonya wikipedia videoClip and I want to involve world musicians in this project
- Islahaddow (talk) (UTC)
- EpicPupper will give this one a try. Please ping for messages.
- Arlo Barnes (talk) Interested in UI design, but aside from reading the ENWP article on the THX soundlogo, this area of design is new to me -- looking forward to see how this progresses.
- TomDotGov (talk) is interested in the accurate assessment of movement opinion when it comes to brand issues.
- 'bones I'm totally ignorant about sound design, but a lack of knowledge doesn't usually stop me from trying things! After hearing about this I just spent an hour selecting three 3 second sound clips. Would they work? No idea. Beam me up, Scotty.
- Skimel (talk) Musician, home-sudio enthusiast and always eager to collaborate on sounds for Wikipedia, sound design is new for me and I'm eager to discover it.
- Tompw (talk) (en) this is such a unique opportunity, I can't miss out!
- TaronjaSatsuma (talk)
- Anthere (talk)
- GFontenelle (WMF) (talk)
- Husky (talk)
- Pacha Tchernof (destination adress) As a musician and hyper attentive person to the sounds in the world around me, I love this project and would like to get updates.
- User:Base, although I am music-0.5 at best, I have quite an obvious idea and thus would like not to miss stuff out (unless I already did)
- 3BRBS (talk)
- Muhammed amine benloulou, Artiste manager of Wiki Ghonya - Wikipedia.
- JMeybohm (WMF) (talk)
- Reda Kerbouche (talk)
- User:BCornwall-WMF (talk)
- User:Hasslaebetch (talk)
- User:Kateregga1 (talk)
- User:Ferdinand IF99 (talk)
- User:Rachmat04 (talk)
- Talk2Faves (talk)
- Kaizenify (talk)
- Buszmail (talk)
- 787IYO (787IYO)
- Kambai Akau (talk)
- AuggieVelarde (talk)
- PSYCHEDWIZARD25 (MUSICIAN/RAPPER)
- User:إيهاب السماك (talk)
- User:Isaacayodele32 (talk)