|Wikimedia Foundation staff and contractors participate with the volunteer community in maintaining this page's content.|
Well played Wikimedia. 2065 votes for the Sound of all Human Knowledge.
Thanks to your participation, we have a sound logo.
Have you heard? Wikimedia has a sound logo
What a journey
More than a year ago, we embarked on a new journey: to find a sound logo for Wikimedia. Inspired by the Wikimedia movement's experience of visual logo contests and mandated by the Foundation's Board of Trustees, the Sound Logo team, together with Wikimedians, engaged with audio professionals and sound enthusiasts around the world, created an online collection of sounds, had on-wiki conversations, hosted community calls, organized workshops in sound editing and audio production, attended virtual and in-person community events, and created listening booths.
3,235 sound logos were submitted by 2,094 participants in 135 countries during the month-long contest between September and October, 2022. Per community curiosity, the Sound Logo team shared random batches of submissions as they were coming in. The interpretations of the creative prompts were just fascinating – sounds of crowds and birds, pages turning, knocking on doors, drums, chimes, and gongs, vocals, mouse clicks, and typing on keyboards.
Luckily, there was help!!! Community members volunteered to screen submissions as they were coming in, and at the end, a selection committee of Wikimedians, in collaboration with audio professionals from the MassiveMusic network, presented the movement with 10 sound logos to vote on.
We thought to give the finalists a fair chance and prompted voters to listen to all 10 sound logos and order them according to their preferences. A strong method previously used in Wikimedia visual logo contests was selected to determine the winning sound for Wikimedia. 2065 votes were cast with 76.7% of voters registered on Wikimedia Commons for more than a year. And now, officially, we have the winning sound.
- You can refer back to the contest information at any time.
- We also decided to keep the sound library, and
- We uploaded more of the sound logo submissions to Wikimedia Commons. Have a listen.
The winning sound
Thaddeus Osborne is from Norfolk, Virginia, USA; nuclear engineer by day and music producer at heart. He conceptualized our sound logo based on what knowledge consumption and seeking information mean to him: leafing through books, the crescendo of wanting more, and that unquenchable thirst for learning. Read more.
Preparing Wikimedia content for audio devices and doing it in a way that was true to our values and practices was not an easy endeavour. Many thanks to the screening team of volunteers, the selection committee, the dynamic team of community liaisons, and most importantly, you! We are grateful to many of you who took part in on-wiki, virtual, or in-person conversations, listened, shared, voted, or in any other way participated to help bring us to where we are today, with a sound logo for Wikimedia projects. Thank you, well played.
ہے کمپیوٗٹر، سأری انسٲنی عٕلمٕچ آواز کیاہ چھےٚ؟
These days, people can ask computers and smart devices questions with their voices and major search engines often search Wikimedia projects to answer them. Without sound logo as a means to identify Wikimedia content, the public does not always know that this knowledge comes from Wikimedia, a trusted source for verifiable information. In tune with a legacy of visual logo contests and with exciting new parameters regarding sound logos and audio production, the Wikimedia Foundation is organizing a global contest for a sound logo for Wikimedia, and we'd love to hear from you.
اَسہِ چھِ تیار کٕرمٕتی تھیٖمٕز تہٕ آوازٕ آواز کھانَس منٛز تۄہِہ سٕتی تجربہٕ کرنہٕ کھٲترٕ تہٕ مُتأثر گژھنہٕ کھٲترٕ. بوزُنہٕ کھٲترٕ مُبارکھ.
پٕریٚو سٲنی مُختلف سِیٖریٖز بییہٚ پرنہٕ کھٲترٕ:
- اکھ آواز لاگو وِکیٖمیڈِیا کھٲترٕ
- موجودٕ طریقن ہِنٛز بُنیادس پؠٹھ نَوؠن مُقابلن ہِیوٚنٛد تصوُر کرُن
- وِکیٖمیڈِیا آواز کھٲترٕ عالمی مُقابلہٕ بہتَر بناوُن
The tentative timeline for the contest is below. We intend to keep this updated as the logo contest moves on, but it may change as needs arise.
|اَکتوٗبَر ٢٠٢١ تا فَرؤری ٢٠٢٢||زِیٖٹھ + ہار ۲۰۲۲||شراوُن + بٲدٕر ۲۰۲۲||جُلَے ٢٠٢٢||اَگَست ٢٠٢٢||سَتَمبَر ٢٠٢٢||اَکتوٗبَر ٢٠٢٢||دَسَمبَر ٢٠٢٢||۲۰۲۳ گۄٚڈٕ گۄٚڈٕ|
|صوٗرتھ ۱:پسہِ منظر تٲخیٖرس تام تہٕ بَحَث||مَنصوٗبہٕ جَماتھ تیٲریہِ||صوٗرتھ ۲:پَسہِ منظر تٲخیٖرس تام تہٕ بَحَث||کَتھہِ باتھہِ تہٕ دٕستِیٲبی ہِنٛدِس بُنیادس پؠٹھ تیارکردہ مُقابلہٕ نقٕشہٕ||آواز لوگو واقعات وِکیٖمینِیاہَس پؠٹھ||۳ صوٗرتھ: مُقابلہٕ||لۄٚکُٹفِہرسَتھ، چُناو||چُناوُن||نٕتیٖجہٕ|
|کٕمیٖٹی اِوینٛٹٕز، اوَل گُنٛجٲیِش بَحَث||کُنٛڈٕ||مُقابلی نقشَن مُتلق کٕمیٖٹی سٕتی کتھ باتھ||مُقابلہٕ نقشہٕ گۄو طَے||وؠبسائٹ نقشہٕ تہٕ درٕٲئج سیٚٹ اَپ؛ لِیےسَنٕچ جَماتھ؛ سِکریٖنِنٛگ جَماتھ تہٕ کٕمیٖٹی سیٚٹ اَپ||عٲلمی سطح مُقابلہٕ تمام انسٲنی عٕلمٕچ آواز جٲری کرنہٕ کھٲترٕ||Contest closes, initial copyright reviews, Selection Committee shortlists||وِکیٖمیڈِیا کامنٕز پؠٹھ چُناوُک اَنٛد||وِکیٖمیڈِیا آواز لاگو، تمام انسٲنی عٕلم چھُ بے پردٕ دُنیاہس کُن.|
Wikimedia Foundation Communications Department:
- Lena Traer, Senior Creative Project Manager
- Mathoto Matsetela-Hartmann, Senior Manager, Global Brand
- Tas Elias, Brand Collaborations Lead
- Kelsi Stine-Rowe, Senior Project Manager
- Mehrdad Pourzaki, Lead Movement Communications Specialist
- Rae Adimer, Movement Communications Associate
... and fantastic liaisons:
- Calliandra Dysantha
- Erina Mukuta
- Victor Grigas, liaison for the initial phases of the project
Together, we’re leading and supporting the global contest for the Wikimedia sound logo.
گؠوُن پروڈَکشَن ڈراپ-اِن کِلِنِک
کٕمیٖٹی کَتھ باتھ
Phase 2 of the Wikimedia sound logo contest involved open community conversations on the contest proposal (you can view slides of which). Two meetings were held, on May 27 and another on June 2. You can see the May 27 video recording. A presentation involved dissecting the TED sound logo, showing a few basics of how to use Audacity audio software and some basics of audio recording, a synopsis of the contest proposal and how it has developed and question and answers.
وِکیٖمیڈِیا آواز لاگو ؤرچووَل اِجلاس جُمعہ مٕئ ۲۷، ۲۰۲۲ پؠٹھہٕ
Phase 2: sound logo at different community events
- WikiCon Brasil, 23-24 July, 2022: notes and concurso
- WikiCon (German-speaking), October 7-9, 2022: The sound of free knowledge
- CEE Meeting, October 14-16, 2022: notes and links
- WikiArabia, October 28-30, 2022: notes and links
- WikiIndaba, November 4-6, 2022: notes and links
- WikiConference North America, November 11-13, 2022: program
صوٗرتھ ۱ کٕمیٖٹیَن سٕتی تعلُقات
Below is a table of all the places - past and future - where we are joining Wikimedians to talk about the sound logo project in addition to our talk page. If you'd like to invite the team to your event or schedule a call to talk about the project, please email soundlogo wikimedia.org. We can make interpretation arrangements if needed to speak with groups in languages other than English.
|گُرپُک یا بَحَثُک ناو||خُلاصہٕ||اِوینٛٹ پرچہِ|
|وِکی عرابِیاہ - کانفِرینٕس راوُنٛڈ ٹیبٕل, ١٥ اَکتوٗبَر ٢٠٢١||Tas and Samir from the Brand Studio and Kelsi from Movement Communications connected with approximately 25 volunteers as part of a Sound Logo Roundtable at WikiArabia 2021. Tas presented an introduction to exploring a Sound Logo for Wikimedia content, which had no engagement in the public chat and no questions asked on the call but those in attendance were informed of the opportunity.||پروگرام کُنٛڈٕ تہٕ پرچِہ وُچُھو|
|سِٹریجِک وِکیٖمیڈِیا ایٚفِلیٹٕس نؠٹوٕرٕک - پیشکَش تہٕ Q&A, ٣١ اَکتوٗبَر ٢٠٢١ (دۄنہٕ وَے اِجلاس)||Kelsi from the sound logo team connected with approximately 30 volunteers from across the movement at the first October 2021 SWAN meetings. The idea of a sound logo was received with general positivity, and including asked questions about trademarking, use by volunteers, and whether the sound logo could contain words. Volunteers also demonstrated excitement for the upcoming sound logo contest by sharing logo ideas in the side chat.
At the second SWAN meeting held on October 31 18:30 UTC the Brand Studio team (represented by Mathoto, Zack and Samir) connected with approximately 40 volunteers. The Brand Studio team thanked nominated community advisors who helped guide the next steps for brand work which includes plans to expand flexible naming options, a single community pilot, update the existing brand guidelines portal on meta and the sound logo exploration. Attendees celebrated the positive impact the color letter had on the movement and were generally pleased to see brand projects being initiated to support the movement again on a surer basis. There was also positive interest and helpful suggestions for the sound logo project particularly around it requiring clear usage guidelines.
|واقعہ کُنٛڈٕ تہٕ پرچِہ وُچُھو|
|رأبطہٕ کٕمیٖٹی، پۄہ ۲۶، ۲۰۲۱||Mathoto, Tas and Lena from the sound logo team joined the Communications Committee monthly meeting held on October 26, 2021 (9 community members in attendance). Mathoto shared an overview of brand next steps and presented the idea of the sound logo exploration. We received helpful suggestions around framing of the project idea and inspiration for the sound logo contest.|
|وِکی اِندابا - کانفِرینٕس راوُنٛڈ ٹیبٕل, ٠٤ نَوَمبَر ٢٠٢١||The brand studio team hosted a WMF Communications Department Roundtable at Wiki Indaba 2021. Mathoto shared an overview of brand next steps focussing on how the Foundation will update the existing Wikimedia brand guidelines portal on meta and Tas shared information on the Sound Logo project. The Sound Logo did not elicit any notable response as many of the commenters wanted to know more about brand guidelines updates and training planned for next year.||مٕزیٖد معلوٗماژَن کھٲترٕ، وُچھو واقعی کُنٛڈٕ تہٕ خُلاسُہ نوٹس.|
|وِکیٖمیڈِیا CEE آنلاین اِجلاس - کانفِرینٕس راوُنٛڈ ٹیبٕل, ٠٦ نَوَمبَر ٢٠٢١||The Brand Studio team (Mathoto, Tas, Samir) connected with approximately 30 volunteers from Central and Eastern Europe as part of a WMF Communications Department Roundtable at the Wikimedia CEE Online Meeting 2021. Mathoto recapped the Board resolutions for brand work with Tas presenting an introduction to the exploration of a Sound Logo for Wikimedia content and Samir presented the project to consolidate and update Wikimedia brand guidelines. The Sound Logo was received well with lots of engagement. Creative ideas for sounds, existing use cases (such as Spoken Wikipedia and WikiQR) and new use cases (such as a moving audiovisual logo for Wikimedia content) were shared by several communities.||تُہہ ما ہیکیوٚ لٕبِتھ پروٗگرام تہٕ ریٖل|
وِکیٖکَنوؠنشَن فرینکوفون- کانفِرینٕس راوُنٛڈ ٹیبٕل, ٢٠ نَوَمبَر ٢٠٢١
|Tas and Kelsi from the sound logo team presented about the new sound logo project in front of about 50 attendees at WikiConvention Francophone. The audience response was overall positive, with questions about whether a sound logo would also have an accompanying moving visual logo, how well the project would support minority languages, whether the sound logo would have speech or text, and if the sound logo would be language neutral.||تُہہ ما ہیکیوٚ واقعہٕ کُنٛڈٕ تہٕ اِجلاس پرچہِ«|
یتھ مَنصوٗبس منٛز دِلچسپی؟
پنُن صٲرِف ناو کٕریٚو ییٚتؠن درٕج مٕزیٖد مُقابل معلوٗماژَن کھٲترٕ.
- Maddy from Celeste (talk)
- VGrigas (WMF) (talk) (Community liason for the sound logo project)
- Shoodho (talk), New to this and curious to learn more
- Binksternet, audio engineer. Sound design is one of my interests.
- Fuzheado (talk), former multimedia professional, active in the Wikimedia movement
- Borys Kozielski (talk), I'm involved in sound projects and leading Wikiradio
- Graham87, I don't work with sound much myself but I know of several other blind people who do and may well be interested in designing something for this project. Graham87 (talk) 05:08, 30 November 2021 (UTC)
- Deniz_Erdogan_(WMDE), I'm working at SWE for Wikimedia Deutschland, and sound design is a hobby of mine
- ProtoplasmaKid (talk) also composer and musician using free licenses :)
- Suyash Dwivedi (talk), I loved this idea from very beginning, I am an Electronics engineer and have some experience with sound engineering.
- Daramlagon (talk)
- KaraLG84 (talk), I am a musician and interested in sound design.
- Другий Хрущ (talk), I have a beautiful melody in my eye.
- Bachounda (talk), Last year i Directed realisation of WikiGhonya wikipedia videoClip and I want to involve world musicians in this project
- Islahaddow (talk) (UTC)
- EpicPupper will give this one a try. Please ping for messages.
- Arlo Barnes (talk) Interested in UI design, but aside from reading the ENWP article on the THX soundlogo, this area of design is new to me -- looking forward to see how this progresses.
- TomDotGov (talk) is interested in the accurate assessment of movement opinion when it comes to brand issues.
- 'bones I'm totally ignorant about sound design, but a lack of knowledge doesn't usually stop me from trying things! After hearing about this I just spent an hour selecting three 3 second sound clips. Would they work? No idea. Beam me up, Scotty.
- Skimel (talk) Musician, home-sudio enthusiast and always eager to collaborate on sounds for Wikipedia, sound design is new for me and I'm eager to discover it.
- Tompw (talk) (en) this is such a unique opportunity, I can't miss out!
- TaronjaSatsuma (talk)
- Anthere (talk)
- GFontenelle (WMF) (talk)
- Husky (talk)
- Pacha Tchernof (destination adress) As a musician and hyper attentive person to the sounds in the world around me, I love this project and would like to get updates.
- User:Base, although I am music-0.5 at best, I have quite an obvious idea and thus would like not to miss stuff out (unless I already did)
- 3BRBS (talk)
- Muhammed amine benloulou, Artiste manager of Wiki Ghonya - Wikipedia.
- JMeybohm (WMF) (talk)
- Reda Kerbouche (talk)
- User:BCornwall-WMF (talk)
- User:Hasslaebetch (talk)
- User:Kateregga1 (talk)
- User:Ferdinand IF99 (talk)
- User:Rachmat04 (talk)
- Talk2Faves (talk)
- Kaizenify (talk)
- Buszmail (talk)
- 787IYO (787IYO)
- Kambai Akau (talk)
- AuggieVelarde (talk)
- PSYCHEDWIZARD25 (MUSICIAN/RAPPER)
- User:إيهاب السماك (talk)
- User:Isaacayodele32 (talk)