|يشارك موظفو مؤسسة ويكيميديا ومتعاقدوها مع مجتمع المتطوعين في صيانة محتوى هذه الصفحة.|
We would like to invite Wikimedia community members to join us at Wikimania. We have two exciting sessions, a master class on sound logos (Aug 11) and a roundtable (Aug 14), and community liaisons to support your participation. See more details on the talk page. Your thoughts and input are warmly welcomed. Thank you.
Hello and welcome
These days, people can ask computers and smart devices questions with their voices and major search engines that serve the public query Wikimedia projects to answer them. Without a sound logo as a means to identify Wikimedia content, the public unfortunately does not always know that this knowledge comes from Wikimedia, a trusted source for verifiable information. So, as has happened in the past with other graphical logos, the Wikimedia Foundation is developing a public contest for a sound logo for Wikimedia. A sound logo (like a graphical logo) is a sound that would represent Wikimedia and distinguish it from other media in order to promote public identification and recognition.
The first phase of this project was held between November 2021 through April 2022. The frequently asked questions section above (see FAQ) contains many detailed questions and answers that were drafted during preliminary conversations with community members. We are pleased to say that feedback received during that time was positive, which is why we are moving ahead with a contest for a Wikimedia sound logo.
Because this contest concerns audio and not imagery, it will have different submission requirements and contest design than has existed for past logo contests. For example, it may take someone a minute to view many different images and pick a favourite, but with audio every single submission needs to be played to be considered and that takes time, even if the recordings were to be limited to a mere five seconds in length.
Because this is an entirely new process for the Wikimedia community, the organizing team thinks that a means of playing with and researching sound together will be useful ... and fun. We have curated a list of ideas and themes that could describe what Wikimedia represents, along with audio recordings that could be used. This sound lab is intended for you to add to (and edit) to develop and experiment with ideas and themes of what a sound logo could be. It is not intended to be prescriptive, but a conversation starter.
Add your username below
Add your username here for more information about the contest and to stay updated as it progressed.
- Maddy from Celeste (talk)
- VGrigas (WMF) (talk) (Community liason for the sound logo project)
- Binksternet, audio engineer. Sound design is one of my interests.
- Fuzheado (talk), former multimedia professional, active in the Wikimedia movement
- Borys Kozielski (talk), I'm involved in sound projects and leading Wikiradio
- Graham87, I don't work with sound much myself but I know of several other blind people who do and may well be interested in designing something for this project. Graham87 (talk) 05:08, 30 November 2021 (UTC)
- Deniz_Erdogan_(WMDE), I'm working at SWE for Wikimedia Deutschland, and sound design is a hobby of mine
- ProtoplasmaKid (talk) also composer and musician using free licenses :)
- Suyash Dwivedi (talk), I loved this idea from very beginning, I am an Electronics engineer and have some experience with sound engineering.
- Daramlagon (talk)
- KaraLG84 (talk), I am a musician and interested in sound design.
- Другий Хрущ (talk), I have a beautiful melody in my eye.
- Bachounda (talk), Last year i Directed realisation of WikiGhonya wikipedia videoClip and I want to involve world musicians in this project
- Islahaddow (talk) (UTC)
- EpicPupper will give this one a try. Please ping for messages.
- Arlo Barnes (talk) Interested in UI design, but aside from reading the ENWP article on the THX soundlogo, this area of design is new to me -- looking forward to see how this progresses.
- TomDotGov (talk) is interested in the accurate assessment of movement opinion when it comes to brand issues.
- 'bones I'm totally ignorant about sound design, but a lack of knowledge doesn't usually stop me from trying things! After hearing about this I just spent an hour selecting three 3 second sound clips. Would they work? No idea. Beam me up, Scotty.
- Skimel (talk) Musician, home-sudio enthusiast and always eager to collaborate on sounds for Wikipedia, sound design is new for me and I'm eager to discover it.
- Tompw (talk) (en) this is such a unique opportunity, I can't miss out!
- TaronjaSatsuma (talk)
- Anthere (talk)
- GFontenelle (WMF) (talk)
- Husky (talk)
- Pacha Tchernof (destination adress) As a musician and hyper attentive person to the sounds in the world around me, I love this project and would like to get updates.
- User:Base, although I am music-0.5 at best, I have quite an obvious idea and thus would like not to miss stuff out (unless I already did)
- 3BRBS (talk)
- Muhammed amine benloulou, Artiste manager of Wiki Ghonya - Wikipedia.
- JMeybohm (WMF) (talk)
- Reda Kerbouche (talk)
- User:BCornwall-WMF (talk)
- User:Hasslaebetch (talk)
Phase 2 of the Wikimedia sound logo contest involved open community conversations on the contest proposal (slides of which can be viewed here). Two meetings were held, on on May 27 and another on June 2. The May 27 video recording is here. A presentation involved dissecting the TED sound logo, showing a few basics of how to use Audacity audio software and some basics of audio recording, a synopsis of the contest proposal and how it has developed and question and answers.
The tentative timeline for the contest is below. We intend to keep this updated as the logo contest moves on, but it may change as needs arise.
|October 2021 to February 2022||March + April 2022||May + June 2022||يوليو ٢٠٢٢||أغسطس ٢٠٢٢||سبتمبر ٢٠٢٢||أكتوبر ٢٠٢٢||نوفمبر ٢٠٢٢|
|Phase 1: Background outreach & discussion||Project team preparations||Phase 2: Community outreach & discussions||contest design based on conversations and input||Sound logo events at Wikimania||Phase 3: Contest||Shortlisting, voting||Voting|
|Community events (link), initial scope discussions||Link||Contest design discussions with the community||Contest design finalized|
By comparison, the timelines for successful branding efforts were:
|Project||يونيو ٢٠٢٠||يوليو ٢٠٢٠||أغسطس ٢٠٢٠||سبتمبر ٢٠٢٠||أكتوبر ٢٠٢٠||نوفمبر ٢٠٢٠||ديسمبر ٢٠٢٠||يناير ٢٠٢١||فبراير ٢٠٢١||مارس ٢٠٢١|
|MediaWiki Logo||Proposals and discussions||Proposals and discussion, Voting round one||Voting round one, preliminary legal clearance, Voting round two||Voting round two, logo selected||Legal clearance|
|Wikifunctions Logo||Brainstorming, setting up, finalizing rules||Proposals and discussions||Voting, logo selected*|
- Legal clearance and refinement of the Wikifunctions logo continued until October 2021.
We are Lena Traer, Mathoto Matsetela, and Tas Elias from the Wikimedia Foundation’s Brand Studio team; Victor Grigas, our community liaison; and Kelsi Stine-Rowe and Mehrdad Pourzaki from the Movement Communications team. Together, we’re exploring the creation of a sound logo, as was mandated in the most recent resolution on branding by the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees.
Phase 1 connections with communities
Below is a table of all the places - past and future - where we are joining Wikimedians to talk about the sound logo project in addition to our talk page. If you'd like to invite the team to your event or schedule a call to talk about the project, please email soundlogowikimedia.org. We can make interpretation arrangements if needed to speak with groups in languages other than English.
|Name of group or discussion||Summary||Event notes|
|WikiArabia - Conference Roundtable, ١٥ أكتوبر ٢٠٢١||Tas and Samir from the Brand Studio and Kelsi from Movement Communications connected with approximately 25 volunteers as part of a Sound Logo Roundtable at WikiArabia 2021. Tas presented an introduction to exploring a Sound Logo for Wikimedia content, which had no engagement in the public chat and no questions asked on the call but those in attendance were informed of the opportunity.||See program link and notes.|
|Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network - Presentation and Q&A, ٣١ أكتوبر ٢٠٢١ (both meetings)||Kelsi from the sound logo team connected with approximately 30 volunteers from across the movement at the first October 2021 SWAN meetings. The idea of a sound logo was received with general positivity, and including asked questions about trademarking, use by volunteers, and whether the sound logo could contain words. Volunteers also demonstrated excitement for the upcoming sound logo contest by sharing logo ideas in the side chat.
At the second SWAN meeting held on October 31 18:30 UTC the Brand Studio team (represented by Mathoto, Zack and Samir) connected with approximately 40 volunteers. The Brand Studio team thanked nominated community advisors who helped guide the next steps for brand work which includes plans to expand flexible naming options, a single community pilot, update the existing brand guidelines portal on meta and the sound logo exploration. Attendees celebrated the positive impact the color letter had on the movement and were generally pleased to see brand projects being initiated to support the movement again on a surer basis. There was also positive interest and helpful suggestions for the sound logo project particularly around it requiring clear usage guidelines.
|See the event link and notes.|
|Communications Committee, October 26, 2021||Mathoto, Tas and Lena from the sound logo team joined the Communications Committee monthly meeting held on October 26, 2021 (9 community members in attendance). Mathoto shared an overview of brand next steps and presented the idea of the sound logo exploration. We received helpful suggestions around framing of the project idea and inspiration for the sound logo contest.|
|WikiIndaba WikiIndaba- Conference Roundtable, ٠٤ نوفمبر ٢٠٢١||The brand studio team hosted a WMF Communications Department Roundtable at Wiki Indaba 2021. Mathoto shared an overview of brand next steps focussing on how the Foundation will update the existing Wikimedia brand guidelines portal on meta and Tas shared information on the Sound Logo project. The Sound Logo did not elicit any notable response as many of the commenters wanted to know more about brand guidelines updates and training planned for next year.||For more information, see the event link and the session notes.|
|Wikimedia CEE Online Meeting - Conference Roundtable, ٠٦ نوفمبر ٢٠٢١||The Brand Studio team (Mathoto, Tas, Samir) connected with approximately 30 volunteers from Central and Eastern Europe as part of a WMF Communications Department Roundtable at the Wikimedia CEE Online Meeting 2021. Mathoto recapped the Board resolutions for brand work with Tas presenting an introduction to the exploration of a Sound Logo for Wikimedia content and Samir presented the project to consolidate and update Wikimedia brand guidelines. The Sound Logo was received well with lots of engagement. Creative ideas for sounds, existing use cases (such as Spoken Wikipedia and WikiQR) and new use cases (such as a moving audiovisual logo for Wikimedia content) were shared by several communities.||You may find program and recording.|
WikiConvention Francophone- Conference Roundtable, ٢٠ نوفمبر ٢٠٢١
|Tas and Kelsi from the sound logo team presented about the new sound logo project in front of about 50 attendees at WikiConvention Francophone. The audience response was overall positive, with questions about whether a sound logo would also have an accompanying moving visual logo, how well the project would support minority languages, whether the sound logo would have speech or text, and if the sound logo would be language neutral.||You may find event link and session notes.|