Within the Wikimedia Foundation, the Communications Department is uniquely skilled at bringing people together. Whether through moments to celebrate or workshops to collaborate, and while working with others as strategic partners and problem solvers.
Through Movement Communications, we work to build bridges and understanding within the movement. Our goal is to help people understand the mission and celebrate their role in its success.
Here are a few of the things we do. We lead the Foundation's involvement in Wikimania. We coordinate Wikimedian of the Year. We support Diff – the Wikimedia Movement blog. We support internal coordination and best practices within the Foundation for engaging the movement. We facilitate two-way dialogue between the Wikimedia Foundation and communities.
Some recent projects and activitiesEdit
- Wikimedia Foundation CEO Maryana Iskander's Listening Tour
- 2021 Wikimedians of the Year
- Wikimania 2021
- Foundation 360 series: A look into the Wikimedia Foundation's work with and in support of the movement
- Presentation of the Wikimedia Foundation 2021-2022 Annual Plan
- Movement Communications Insights Report
- Conversations with trustees
Connect with usEdit
|Users by language|
Reach out to the Movement Communications team by email at movementcomms wikimedia.org.
Principles: Agile Movement Communications StrategyEdit
We are a new team in the Foundation and recognize that our movement is always evolving, changing and in motion. So our strategy to communicate with the movement will be agile. It is based on recommendations from our movement and will incorporate the following.
- Global Goods - Looking after the “Global Goods” of communicating with and connecting the movement. Things that help everyone build trust, understanding and brings all of us together. Examples of this work are Wikimania 2021, Wikimedians of the Year, Conversations with Trustees, Wikimedia Foundation CEO Maryana Iskander's Listening Tour.
- Coordination and best practice - Coordination of movement facing consultations and communications and sharing of best practice across the foundation. Examples of this work are the Diff calendar.
- Global movement communications - Being intentional about inclusivity and building a sense of belonging in our movement through new global, multicultural, multilingual communications.