Communications/2017 discussions with affiliates/tr
The Wikimedia Foundation Communications department is holding a series of discussions with Wikimedia movement affiliates. These discussions will be followed by a communications survey of all 100+ affiliates. The goal of these efforts is to get a better sense of how the department can worth with affiliates. In this cycle of discussions, a particular focus is being put on collecting information on what communications activities affiliates are engaging in, the Communications Committee, and the Communications Resource Center. Findings will be shared on this page.
Being held with target affiliates, beginning in January 2017, to gather basic information to influence survey questions and initial activities. We believe by conducting these before the survey, we will have a better sense of the types of activities affiliates are engaged in and what information would be most helpful to collect in the survey.
Will be conducted following discussions and targeted at all 100+ movement affiliates. Ideally - this will begin around Wikimedia Conference 2017.
- Collect information on what communications activities affiliates are engaging in
- Assess which communications areas affiliates are most interested in
- Assess areas where additional resources are needed
- Identify ways for the Foundation to interact with affiliates on movement communications
The selection of target affiliates is meant to represent:
- Sampling of affiliates from the largest models (chapters and user groups)
- Geographic diversity with existing targeted regions set in other communications initiatives - such as New Readers and Audience research
- Range of communications capacity and activities
- Active groups
All affiliates will be invited to participate in the survey being conducted following these discussions.
These are the affiliates we will be targeting for discussions:
- Wikimedia Deutschland
- Ongoing and completed already
- Wikimedia France
- Wikimedia Russia
- Wikimedia Mexico
- Iranian Wikimedians User Group
- Wikimedia Community Brazilian Group of Education and Research
- Ongoing after training earlier in 2016
- Wikimedia Community User Group Brasil
- Wikimujeres Grupo de Usuarias
- Punjabi Wikimedians User Group
- Wikimedia Taiwan
- What types of communications activities is your affiliate engaging in?
- How would you say those activities are going?
- How do you measure these activities? Do you set goals for them?
- Which audiences are you reaching out to and how are you doing so?
- Any other lessons, successes, or experiences that you would like to share about those activities?
- Are you aware of the Communications Resource Center?
- What resources would be helpful to you in that work?
- Are you familiar with the Communications Committee?
- If so, what would you like to get out of the committee?
- How can the Wikimedia Foundation collaborate with you on your affiliate's communications work?
- Any final suggestions for the Foundation's Communications department?
Will be determined once discussions are completed.
Aggregate notes and findings will be shared on this page once they are available.