Celtic Knot Conference 2019/Submissions/An introduction to Wikisource
|This is an open submission for the Celtic Knot Wikimedia Language Conference 2020.|
- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
- An introduction to Wikisource
- Type of submission (Lightning talk, panel, tutorial/workshop, Presentation)
- Language of presentation
- E-mail address
- jhsobywikimedia.no, vigneron.nicolasgmail.com
- Country of origin
- Norway, France
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Wikimedia Norge, Wikisource Community User Group, Wikimédia France
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (up to 300 words to describe your proposal)
- Started in 2003, Wikisource is one of the oldest sister projects of Wikipedia. Recently it has experienced somewhat of a resurgence, with more focus and more activities going on – especially in Indic languages. The purpose of Wikisource is to digitize free (as in public domain or free-license) works, and there are several specialized tools available at Wikisource that are not present in Wikipedias. The most ubiquitous is ProofreadPage, which is a MediaWiki extension which allows for transcription and proofreading of scanned works.
- Wikisource projects are, like Wikipedia, split into language subdomains. However, there is one "general-purpose" edition called the Multilingual Wikisource, which is where works in languages with small communities are collected – in this way it functions like the Wikimedia Incubator for new editions of other sister projects. This session aims to give an introduction to how Wikisource works, with a special focus on the Multilingual Wikisource.
- What will attendees take away from this session?
- Attendees will learn what Wikisource is and how they can contribute, both on a personal level and on an institutional level.
- Theme of session
- WikiCulture & Community
- Will you attend Celtic Knot if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
- VIGNERON has already proposed two other sessions, so if several are accepted please keep this in mind for the schedule.
- Is this Submission a Draft or Final?
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).