CIS-A2K/Work plan July 2016 - June 2017/Marathi
Marathi has been a focus language area for the last year. Our work primarily dealt with Marathi Wikipedia and Marathi Wikisource. This work-plan is a depiction of community consultation and feedback from our institutional partners. We tried to give a critical overview of CIS-A2K's work since July 2015 and this work-plan presents the plan of activities for the year between July 2016 to June 2017.
Performance against PlansEdit
- Maharashtra Granthottejak Sanstha (MGS) is a library founded by Justice Ranade, Dr. R. G. Bhandarkar and Lokmanya Tilak in 1895. On the occasion of 121st anniversary, MGS has donated 1000 books to be digitized and made available on Marathi wikisource.
- To reach out to more community members we are creating movement resources like video tutorials, pamphlets and bookmarks.
- Education programs at Savitribai Phule Pune University, Tata Institute of Social Sciences. From education programs, we are able to generate Gender studies related articles on Marathi Wikipedia.
- Meeting 5 Wikipedians per month to collect community requirements and make changes in work plan accordingly.
- Santosh Shingare and Abhinav Garule participated in TTT. With the help of community members, Santosh Shingare organized Hackathon-15 at IIT,Powai on June-15 and Suyog Vyavhare and Anurag Bihani participated in MWT and added different extensions, bots, gadgets. Anurag Bihani also organized a Wikipedia workshop at his institute.
- Female participation in Marathi Wikipedia content generation activities increased through institutional partners.
In last 8 months, CIS-A2K organized education programs, workshops & Edit-a-thons at Pune, Mumbai, Pandharpur, Tuljapur. Cohort analysis summary is as follows:-
|Active editors involved||New editors||Reach||Images added to commons||Articles added||Absolute bytes added|
- Above table shows statistics upto March 2016.
(Upto February 2016)
|Digitized folios||in progress|
- 7 Media mentions for 1000 books content donation from MGS
- Pageviews increased to 2 million.
- Started getting more mobile views
- Making edits of new WEP editors more meaningful and improving existing articles.
- Thematic edit-a-thons for any workshop to work hand-in-hand with community members towards the same goal and to generate content on topics which are not yet covered.
- Community prioritization and digitization of Wikisource books
Program (1) # of newly registered users (2) # of active editors involved (3) # of individuals involved (4a) # of new images/media added to Wikimedia articles/pages (4b) # of new images/media uploaded (optional) (5) # of articles added or improved on Wikimedia projects (6) Absolute value of bytes added to or deleted from Wikimedia projects GLAM 10 5 30 1250 1500 50+200,000(folios) 15 MB Wikipedia Education Program 250 17 450 2300 1200 550 900,000 Edit-a-thon 150 10 225 175 100 175 (Alongwith Wikisource Pages) 300,000 Skill Building - 30 - - - - -
Table 3 notes:Bytes are indicative of Text not images
Cultivating New EditorsEdit
To generate content on a mass scale from available Marathi encyclopedias, we are planning to build more institutional partnerships in association with Marathi Wikipedia admins and are also working towards building partnerships with focused content generation on Marathi Wikipedia like Gender studies content generation from Krantijyoti Savitribai Phule Women's Studies Centre (KSPWSC), University of Pune.
|Name of the Institution||Status||Description||Wikimedia project||WMF Strategy Alignment|
|Krantijyoti Savitribai Phule Women's Studies Centre (KSPWSC), University of Pune||Ongoing||Content Generation||Wikipedia|
|Tata Institute of Social Sciences||Ongoing||Content generation||Wikipedia|
|SVERI, Pandharpur||Ongoing||Content generation||Wikipedia|
|Sinhgad Instute of Technology & Sciences, Pune||Discussion with faculty is in progress. One Workshop Conducted.||Content generation||Wikipedia & Media-Wiki|
|Jnana Prabodhini, Pune||Discussion with faculty is in progress.||Content generation||Wikipedia|
|Tilak Maharashtra Vidyapith, Pune||Discussion with faculty is in progress.||Content generation||Wikipedia|
|Babasaheb Ambedkar Reseach and Training Institute, Pune||Approaching Spokesperson||Content donation||Wikimedia commons|
|ILS Law College, Pune||Approaching Spokesperson||Content generation||Wikipedia|
|KDK College of Engineering, Nagpur||Approaching Spokesperson||Content generation||Wikipedia|
|Kamla Nehru Kala Mahavidyalaya, Nagpur||Approaching Spokesperson||Content generation||Wikipedia|
Initiating Wikipedia projects in different cities like Dhule, Kolhapur , Nagpur, Nandurbar from Maharashtra to generate content on different subjects and encourage institutional partners to participate in Wikipedia Educational Programs.
- Planning projects at different institutions
- Initiating discussions with concerned persons
- Involving long time Wikipedians in discussion
- Organizing workshops at institutions
- Based on feedback during the workshop, deciding whether to sign MoUs and discussing what projects we can initiate at respective institutions.
- In collaboration with Wikipedians, design training programs and roll out workshops
- Periodic review of the content generated from program participants.
- Mentoring and monitoring the progress through the program
- At least 150 new Wikipedians to join Marathi Wikipedia.
- At least 400 new articles and 100 existing articles to be improved.
- At least one new educational institution partnership to be added to existing 3 institutional partnerships.
- At least 700 Kilobytes to be added.
Exploring New Cities
The goal of this activity is to spread awareness about Marathi Wikipedia in new cities across Maharashtra and Karnataka, where internet penetration is high and active Marathi community is available. (at Least 3 cities Nagpur, Kolhapur, Bangalore)
Do preliminary research on all the small cities in Maharashtra and collect data on the various metrics including:
- No. of local cultural organizations or groups with knowledge in niche subjects, hobbies and independent projects
- Educational Institutions and libraries;
- Data on internet penetration, internet cafes (outlets), broadband connections, etc;
- Virtual communities (like FaceBook communities, bloggers, websites);
- Journalists, College teachers, Writers and other members of the local intelligentsia.
Shortlist five potential cities for focussed outreach in consultation with the Community. Build linkages with local hosting institutions. Train a set of enthusiastic Marathi Wikipedians in executing successful Outreach programs. Design and Roll-out of Wikipedia Training or Orientation programs in these cities. Focus on involving the new editors in quality improvement of articles on Marathi Wikipedia with small projects.
Expected to enlist about 50-80 new editors on Marathi Wikipedia. Of this, an attempt will be made to convert 10-12 people into active editors. Will hopefully result in the creation of 100 new articles. Will result in improving the quality of existing Village articles.
Strengthening Existing CommunityEdit
Advanced editing training
To train existing Wikipedians on advanced editing options and technical training on Marathi Wikimedia projects.
Community members have approached CIS-A2K to train them in certain areas of advanced editing in Wikipedia such as Template creation and usage, use of mediawiki tools, etc. To this end, designing a training plan that could be implemented in a session of couple of hours.
This advanced training session is aimed at strengthening about 8 existing and 4 new Marathi Wikipedians, and creating technical Wikimedians around Marathi Wikimedia Community.
Capacity Building MeetupsEdit
Capacity Building Meetups
To facilitate more high quality interactions amongst Community Members, with an aim to
- Create new projects
- Carry out periodic review and mitigation of troublesome issues
Facilitate 12 offline meetings/events over the next year and club these with a particular project or theme based edit-a-thon events. Organise/facilitate Google hangouts/Skype calls and IRCs.
These Community Building efforts will further strengthen the Marathi Wikipedia community.
Wikipedia education programme
To increase the quality of work done by existing institutional partners, bringing in content from existing Marathi encyclopedia's like Ketkar Vishwakosh which are already available under free license.
- Introductory session by CIS-A2K personnel
- Signing of MoU by community members
- To have at least 6 edit-a-thons and improve the quality of existing articles and increase in the number of existing articles.
- Introducing Wikipedians to other Wikiprojects.
Conducting thematic edit-a-thons with institutional partners in collaboration with community members.
- At least 150 new Wikipedians to join Marathi Wikipedia and create 100 new article, improve 200 existing articles and add images to articles.
- Goal (Plan)
To conduct thematic edit-a-thons.
- Objective (Execution)
Discuss with the community over village pump, mailing list and IRC. Arrive at a consensus on the topics and venues. Organise 2-3 such edit-a-thons in one year at regular intervals and at strategic places.
- Target (Projection)
About 10 editors are expected to take part in each edit-a-thon. These edit-a-thons are expected to bring in about 20-30 new editors and about 40-60 articles. These edit-a-thons will also help in strengthening the existing community.
To visit different Galleries, Libraries, Archive & Museums based in Maharashtra. Recording spoken language of different tribes from Dhule and Nandurbar district of Maharashtra. This project will be a pilot project for which CIS-A2K will support community members to generate content in Audio-Visual format for 6 tribes.
- To meet different institutes and plan different activities
At least 2 GLAM projects in next year.
- At least to get 1000 new articles.
- At least to get 1000 images/files to Wikimedia Commons.
- Generating at least 15 MB of content from GLAM activities
- Adding 200,000 folios in Marathi Wikisource project.
|Expenditure Item||FDC Support (INR)||FDC Support (US$)||Other Sources and in kind Support (INR)||Other Sources and in kind Support (US$)|
|1 PA x 100%||396,000||5775.86999||0||0|
|1 PD x 2.5%||70,330.92||1,025.813763||0||0|
|1 PM x 5%||52,800||770.1159987||0||0|
|3 PO x 11.11%||318,283||4,642.326334||0||0|
|1 PA x 11.11%||55,733||812.895359||0||0|
|Travel and Stay||50,000||729.2765139||22,000||320.8816661|
|Skill Building Initiatives||25,000||364.638257||0||0|
- ↑ 100% time of a Program Associate who will anchor this plan at CIS-A2K
- ↑ 2.5% time of Program Director, CIS-A2K
- ↑ 5% time of Program Manager, CIS-A2K
- ↑ 11.11% time of 3 Program Officers, CIS-A2K
- ↑ 11.11% time of Program Associate, CIS-A2K
- ↑ Expenses incurred by the CIS-A2K program team towards executing the plan