Black Lunch Table
The Black Lunch Table (BLT) project creates a space to encourage people of color and women to join the Wikimedia movement while also asking white male editors to focus on gaps in coverage on Wikimedia. We mobilize the creation and improvement of a specific set of Wikimedia documents that pertain to the lives and works of Black artists. For each event we provide a list of suggested artists to add or edit, with particular focus on Black artists who have worked within or are local to the host institution’s community and are currently under-documented on Wikipedia.
- To increase the reach, connection with communities and presence of Wikimedia especially as it pertains to gaps of Black visual artists.
- Increase Wikimedia understanding, editorship, articles and article quality.
- To afford more new editors one-on-one attention, access to training and help them get the editing bug, fostering return editors.
- Increase visibility of marginal populations on Wikimedia through edit-a-thon events, online meetups, a photo initiative and other creative approaches.
Upcoming Online EventsEdit
Black Lunch Table has been about in-person and digital collectivities. Amidst the global Covid-19 pandemic this current, it will be even more digital. We have scheduled some new online events that offer community for folks. Please see below for our upcoming events focused on editing, artists, and education. More information and resources are available on our Wikipedia Meetup Page.
- February 6th, 2021: Online edit-a-thon @ Minneapolis Institute of Art
- February 13, 2021: College Art Association, Annual Conference, New York, NY
- Winter 2021, U of I at Urbana-Champaign, Ricker Library of Architecture and Art, Urbana, IL
BLT: Live on IG Live: Artists are central to all facets of BLT. As exhibitions and freelance work are canceled due to the virus, what we can do to support the continuation of the archive we depend on is ask and compensate artists as they share and commune with us through a series of online “talks”. Noon, EST. Find them on IG Live @blacklunchtable.
Topic Focus and Online Edit-a-thons: Join us for online Wikipedia editing and assistance. Help record history as it unfolds by updating related Wikipedia articles, editing know-how is not necessary. In addition to regular editing together, Topic Focus sessions we will feature experts on WikiEDU, editing on mobile devices, Wikidata, and Spanish language editing. All skill levels are welcome! Noon, EST.
Play BLT BINGO: BLT BINGO is a contest series that celebrates the work of artists by working to increase information about them on Wikimedia platforms and increasing editors' fluency with all the Wiki platforms. New cards and prizes are released each month.
Missed any of our BLT Live or Topic Focus sessions? You can watch all of them HERE
In the past, BLT edit-a-thons have taken place at MOMA, NY Public Library, the McColl Center in Charlotte, the Joan Mitchell Center in New Orleans, and Project Row Houses in Houston, Bridge Books in Johannesburg, University of Toronto, Scarsborough, and Banff Centre in Alberta Canada. Collectively, we have done much great work and much more remains to be done.
The Black Lunch Table (BLT) is an ongoing collaboration founded by artists Jina Valentine Fishantena and Heather Hart Heathart which intends to fill holes in the documentation of contemporary art history. Since 2005 the BLT has taken a variety of forms relating to this most recent iteration, in the form of the Wikimedia project. Our event archive along with more info can be found here on our Wikipedia Meetup page.
Feel free to add your name to the list below if you are interested in participating!
Click here if you'd like more information!
- Founder, Heathart, Brooklyn. board, press.
- Founder, Fishantena, Chicago. board, press.
- Halimahart, Seattle.
- Nikitag94, Trinidad and Tobago/New York
- Blackdiamond2005, New York.
- Mjrbanx, Boston.
- Jgo1906, Houston
- Jamie Tubers, Ilorin, NG
- Visualdatablt, Los Angeles. board.
- Raggachampiongirl, Chicago
- Cimarronx, New York
Other BLT editorsEdit
- Nsengak, Cairo.
- Trini.lise, Trinidad and Tobago
- Anhamilton123, Durham
- LeahAsha, Brooklyn.
- NafisMWhite, Providence.
- Muserna_Muserna, Queens.
- Iamshiba, Cape Town.
- Maiacgoitia,New York.
- Nudgol,New York.
- Hartsmsmith, Seattle.
more on our Wikipedia meetup page here.