Arctic Knot Conference 2021/Submissions/Picking the crucial language technologies and how Wikipedia can help: the Welsh experience
This is an open submission for the Arctic Knot Wikimedia Language Conference 2021.
- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
- Picking the crucial language technologies and how Wikipedia can help: the Welsh experience
- Author of the submission
- Gareth Morlais
- Submission format
- Pre-recorded video presentation (10–30 minutes)
- Language of presentation
- Welsh, if you can do the subtitling.
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Welsh Government
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (up to 300 words to describe your proposal)
When you're making plans to get people using your language as much and as often as possible, there's a list of things related to Wikipedia which can really help. I'll share our experience with the Welsh language.
Supporting the Welsh-language Wikipedia community forms Work Package 15 of 27 in the Welsh Government's Welsh Language Technology Action Plan https://gov.wales/sites/default/files/publications/2018-12/welsh-language-technology-and-digital-media-action-plan.pdf. We like supporting Welsh language Wikipedia editing workshops, video workshops and other channels that encourage people to create and publish Welsh-language video, audio, graphic and text content because we're on a mission to try to help double daily use of Welsh by 2050.
I'll share developments we're funding in speech, translation and conversational AI. The partners we're giving grants to publish what they develop under open licence. So we can share what we've funded with many companies. We think Microsoft might have used some to make their new synthetic voices in Welsh.
We're excited by the potential Wikidata offers. We'll look at its potential in populating Welsh maps this year. We've already used Wikipedia search data as a way of prioritising the training of a Welsh virtual assistant.
Welsh may not be spending as much as Icelandic and Estonian do on language technologies, but we'd like to share what we're learning as a smaller language about the important areas to focus on and how Wikipedia can help.
- What will attendees take away from this session?
- Theme of session
- Language technology
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
- I'll be able to supply the video, a Welsh transcript and an English translation. You'll need to produce the subtitled video.
- Is this Submission a Draft or Final?
Interested attendees edit
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).