Arctic Knot Conference 2021/Submissions/Help your communities grow!
This is an open submission for the Arctic Knot Wikimedia Language Conference 2021.
- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
- Help your communities grow!
- Author of the submission
- Trizek (WMF)
- Submission format
- Live video presentation (20 minutes presentation, followed by a conversation) that can become a pre-recorded video presentation of 30 minutes if you need.
- Language of presentation
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Wikimedia Foundation, Growth team
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (up to 300 words to describe your proposal)
We all have been newcomers one day, and gradually we managed to find our way to become experienced users. But how many promising newcomers have abandoned this same journey because they didn't understand our tools or our policies, or lacked human-to-human support?
The Wikimedia Foundation Growth team is working on a set of tools that help communities to welcome newcomers and grow wikis in size and quality. These features have been shown to increase the activation, retention, and edit volume of newcomers.
- Newcomer homepage: a special page that hosts the "Newcomer tasks" and is a good place for a newcomer to get started. The homepage gives access to many resources, including a link to a volunteer mentor who would reply to their questions.
- Newcomer tasks: a feed of suggested edits that help newcomers learn how to make simple edits on their preferred subjects. Newcomers have been making productive edits through this feed! The feed is located on the homepage, as the starring feature.
- Help panel: a platform to provide resources to newcomers while they are editing. When newcomers work on "Newcomer tasks", the help panel guides them on what to do.
All of these features are available right now, on both desktop and mobile: communities can request their deployment if they want to try them.
This presentation will be about discovering the Growth tools, know their benefits, and see how to implement them in order to increase chances to grow your community in a qualitative way. We will also show the future of these features.
- What will attendees take away from this session?
Communities will have the opportunity to discover a set of features that would help them to welcome and retain newcomers on Wikipedia, easing interactions between experienced users and newcomers, and increasing the quality of new users' edits.
- Theme of session
- Empowering wiki communities
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
I'd like to have the presentation happening between 15:00 and 17:00 UTC, if possible.
- Is this Submission a Draft or Final?
Interested attendees edit
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).